Thoughts on rebounding?

Options
As the weather is starting to change, I am thinking about new and additional options for at home exercise that are low impact. In the research I've done, rebounding is being sold as having a number of health benefits beyond burning calories and being fun.

I've tried to find information specific to rebounding for people with lower back and hip issues. The information I've found thus far is mixed from it being a great low impact option to not being a good idea.

They also seem to have a large range of prices. It is my understanding that the "bounce" varies a lot and that the firmer the harder it is on your body.

I'm hoping to get some feedback from people that have been rebounding for awhile and their thoughts on:

What is your general experience and the biggest benefit?
Have you noticed improvements in posture and balance?
In your opinion is it hard on your joints?
Any experience that suggests one type of trampoline is better compared to another? Suggestions on brands?

Thanks! :smiley:

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 rebounders. A cheap Gold's Gym model. This was so stiff, it was like jumping on the floor. Awful, don't bother.

My second rebounder is mid-price, a Jump Sport. I like it, it's fun. Mine has bungees which makes it very quiet. This is is not the softest bounce out there but good enough.

Bellicon's are supposed to be the "Cadillac" of rebounders, with a nice soft bounce.

I don't consider myself to have joint issues, but am over 60. I will gets sore knees from doing step aerobics (even low step) too often, so switching off and on to a rebounder helps.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have not used a trampoline or anything like that personally for exercise but -- the harder it is the harder it will be on your joints. If you truly want low impact...then it needs to have some give like a normal trampoline. Shouldn't feel like jumping on solid ground. Other than that I don't have any idea which models have good give or not...so you'll have to find some others that have used them to know.

Aside from being a lower impact way to get your heart rate up - there are many different movements you can do that not only get your heart rate up but can help increase your stability and mobility/strength too. I'm sure you could find a lot of examples on Youtube.

As far as other benefits outside of the workout part of it...a trampoline provides a lot of proprioceptive sensory input which, for some people, is necessary as part of their sensory diet. It can help regulate how you deal with sensory input, which can help mood, etc. Most people only tend to think about sensory processing when it comes to thinking about a person with a 'sensory processing disorder' or 'difficulty' --- but we ALL have sensory needs, so it can be very helpful/enjoyable for some people. I often enjoy swinging/the sensation of swinging or that roller coaster feeling in your stomach....particularly when I am feeling higher levels of anxiety.

It's a bit similar to people who use those machines to go upside down and take pressure off their back and get blood going the other way for a bit.

As far as it being helpful or harmful on hips/back --- it depends on what your issue is and making sure to do the correct movements and do them with correct form. I'd guess that's why there's conflicting info - it's probably a better question for your doctor.