Back at it - accountability post!

Options
Not new here. I lost 113-ish lbs several years ago … was within 5-10lbs of my goal weight before a cross-country move, job stress and a pandemic helped get me off track. No excuses as it was totally on me. I stopped tracking and logging and doing the things I know how to do that work.

So … back at it while the gain is “only” 35lbs! #Igotthis #slowandsteady

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Even when we know exactly what to do, getting back in the groove can be challenging. It's taken me an entire week to get even CLOSE to being back in deficit mode after almost a whole month's lapse in accurate measuring and logging along with plain ol' general overindulgence. I am still too scared to step on the scale!

What's helped me is the One Day/Adding One Thing approach. e.g. Keeping up with daily workouts regardless of if I've overdone the calories, not eating after 6pm, avoiding eating out of boredom, waiting an hour between 'want' and 'have.' Even when the day isn't perfect, getting one or two things right can make the difference between gaining and maintaining.

You got this!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Even when we know exactly what to do, getting back in the groove can be challenging. It's taken me an entire week to get even CLOSE to being back in deficit mode after almost a whole month's lapse in accurate measuring and logging along with plain ol' general overindulgence. I am still too scared to step on the scale!

What's helped me is the One Day/Adding One Thing approach. e.g. Keeping up with daily workouts regardless of if I've overdone the calories, not eating after 6pm, avoiding eating out of boredom, waiting an hour between 'want' and 'have.' Even when the day isn't perfect, getting one or two things right can make the difference between gaining and maintaining.

You got this!

Your 1st paragraph describes my recent experience. Stress makes me eat, it's like the stress switch gets flipped on and mouth automatically opens for whatever whenever. It takes a strong will to close it again. :( But I do notice logging in to count calories through out the day helps me a lot. About 3 weeks ago, I totally started binge-eating and tried a couple times to switch it back. Finally this past Tuesday I flipped that switch again. I think it's clicking this time. I know it's time when my regular jeans get tight. :(

OP, you are not alone!! But you got this; hold tight and stay strong with yourself. It's as much a mental game as anything else. When you can talk your brain into something, the other stuff follows the path easier. Good luck!!
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I’m right there with you ! This week is pull-up-my-socks week 😆. It is astonishing to me that after maintaining for several years, my mind still slips back into old patterns.

How can myself lie to myself??? I mean I’m right here watching and I know my little brain is lying to me and yet here I am believing that it doesn’t matter if I don’t log this one little thing or I deserve that little extra 🧐
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm in a similar situation. I've been maintaining a 50 lb loss for almost a decade. But we moved from the Northeast to Georgia back in June and the stress of that and having to find a new job while in an area with lots of amazing restaurants all within walking distance...I'm up almost 15 lbs.

I know what I need to do to get back on the wagon, but the struggle is real!
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - my new city has a zillion great restaurants and about 100 within walking distance. At least I get a 2-3 mile walk in round trip to some places! Lol

On a positive note, I am currently on a 400 day streak of at least a 30 min workout. But goes to prove you can’t outrun your fork!! Down 3lbs this week which I know is water but gonna keep at it. :-)
  • habeebz921
    habeebz921 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I have been back and forth for a long time. Maintained at 55kg for years after losing my teenage fat. Then had my first kiddo couldnt get below 58 kg, then my second kiddo and currently stuck at 68 kg at 18 months postpartum. Havent been able to budge down in a year! We know what to do, its just doing it now. Good luck hun
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I know it's not popular, but when I decide to get back on track, I always have to do something drastic to shake me out of bad patterns. Last two solid stretches of weight loss (from 226 to 190) and then from 195 to 175, happened with a round of Whole 30 to help me get past cravings. This time, since I noticed I was much happier while exercising, I'm trying Hard 75 because it's a mix of exercise and whatever my chosen diet is (I'm sticking to mostly CICO, but trying not to go over 100 grams of carbs, but because of the 2 work outs each day, I'm also not beating myself up over it if I go over a bit, just avoiding sugary and over processed) I just know what works for me - and the minute I stop counting, scheduling, moving... it's a quick slide to weight gain. This time I caught myself before I completely lost it...
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Seems a few of us on same path.
    7 years mfp vet.
    Lost 36kg (80 pounds) but regained plus due to tearing tendon in an ice fall running.
    Recent family wedding photos shocked me back into full mfp.
    Down 10kg(22 llbs) in 7 weeks.
    5 + hours a week swimming helps enormously.
    Good luck all.