Eye contact? Smile? Head down - busy?

Options
juleseybaby
juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
I am curious about something.

When you are walking / jogging / running, etc. - do you make eye contact as you pass people? If so - do you smile, nod?

If no eye contact - why? Is it because you are busy with your workout?

I look up - generally make eye contact (if the other person ever looks up :ohwell: ) and then I smile. :happy:

I wonder why so many people here don't even bother looking up! Is it like that for anyone else?

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Both!

I used to live near a really great bike path and saw a lot of the same people all the time...we always nodded or said hello to each other, but there was also the occasional creeper hanging out along there too. I tried to avoid eye contact with them because I didn't want to do anything that might set them off, or think that I wanted to talk to them..so it all depends on the circumstances.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    sometimes if I am seriously focused and about to DIE, then I won't break my focus. Most of the time, I will make eye contact and smile or say hi.
  • faye_daisy
    Options
    if I have my earphones in I am jammin and usually don't notice but if I am not listening then i smile and nod :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I always make eye contact.

I almost always give a verbal greeting.

I can't smile. When I try, I look like a serial killer.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options

LMAO! Love it!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I always make eye contact.

I almost always give a verbal greeting.

rofl
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I walk around our subdivision, so whenever I see anyone else outside (either walking, in their yard or even driving by), I smile.

If I personally know them or have seen them before, then I wave too.
  • DLMcCutchen79
    DLMcCutchen79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Generally when I first start out walking/running/biking if I pass someone I will say hi, smile, etc.. However once I'm running hard or biking hills, I'm out of breath, drenched in sweat, red as a beat and embarrassed to be seen so I usually make no eye contact unless it's someone I know. At the gym I always take my ear buds when I go alone and unless someone comes up and uses the equipment next to me and strikes up a conversation, I keep to myself watching t.v. or listening to my music. If I go with a friend, my husband, or my kids, usually no one tries to talk to you when you're involved in a conversation with someone else anyway. I will admit though, that there are certain neighbors in my neighborhood who I will avoid even going past when I see them out just so I don't have to have a conversation with them. If I'm out for a general walk and not exercising I don't mind to stop and chat. When I'm walking with the purpose of exercise I don't want my cardio workout interrupted with a twenty minute conversation by the old lady who wants to complain that she can't get her crabgrass to go away even though she keeps paying Scott's Lawn care $15.00 extra a month to clear up crabgrass.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I usually look and give them a friendly smile. Occasionally people will say hi and I will do the same.

I love friendly people.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I don't look at people normally (a little Aspie sometimes) so out walking is rarely any different.
  • xalligator
    xalligator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'll look and smile and say hey. If they don't smile back but are looking/scowling at me, I just keep smiling and maintain eye contact until they get out of my field of vision.

If they don't want to accept my goodwill, they'll just have to accept me trying to make them uncomfortable. :P
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    If I'm at one of the busy running parks, I will just stay focused and look ahead (could totally see myself looking at on oncoming runner, smiling, and running into someone in front of me). If I'm at a park close to my house with not many people, I always make eye contact and smile or say hello.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I almost always make eye contact, smile and say hello unless the person is creepy or clearly doesn't want to be bothered.

Very annoying when i'm out walking and have my ear buds in and people try to talk to me about my dog...yes i know he's gorgeous but i usually can't hear the people! so then i end up stopping and taking out my headphones and asking them what they said and then they want to pet him and talk about him..and omg people can't you see we're trying to get exercise! He's just as much of a snob as I am, he'll let people pet him but he has no actual interest in them, when we go for a walk all he wants to do is just go go go..it's why i love having him as my exercise partner!!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I always make eye contact, smile, if they respond then I say hi. I run on a very active trail and see familar faces all the time so they usually beat me to saying hi anyway...
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Eye contact, smile, and what my work friend calls "the runner's nod"

Except for the one hot shirtless guy then it's more like:

Eye contact, smile, TRIP, "runner's nod", blush like a fool
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I'm not a road runner personally (speed walker at lunch, spinner in the gym and Turbo Jamer in the bsmt) but in general I only greet/smile co-workers or my immediate neighbours at home if they are sitting on the porch. My head is always up, I would never bow down, be confidant in your activity and if you are occupied keep looking forward.

FTR, I'm a very bubbly, friendly and 'smile-y' person but unless the intent was to smile/flirt with a person you went by, I wouldn’t bother. I’ve probably perfected that working downtown Toronto and as I speed walk at lunch I have to keep my eyes ahead to avoid people begging for money or petitions to charity events on every street corner wanting to chat. I just say 'sorry' without missing a beat.
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    I always try to make eye contact and smile. 1) I need to reinforce it as a habit 2) when in public, it 's a good safety precaution because it shows I am aware of my surroundings and not so "in the zone" that I would make an easy victim and 3) I'm southern and we just do that sort of thing down here.