Exercise and Ageing

Options
I often wonder how our slightly ageing MFP members cope with exercise as we are getting older. As I get older, exercise for me is starting to get harder each day, and although I try my best, I can't help but think, will my body fight back and say enough already. I started my weight loss journey (168 lbs) in my early fifties and now I'm nearing 61 (now 121 lbs), am hoping I don't wake up one day and think I'm over it. I walk/run 5 miles a day, do hot yoga two/three times a week, and swim twice a week. So just wondering how everyone keeps going, and do they have lingering doubts if their bodies start sending mixed messages. What is your age and what does your daily exercise consist of.

Replies

• Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you. You might be right about scaling back a little. Sleep has never been easy for me, so I know that can be a large problem.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Options
    Water aerobics sounds like fun, I might look into that. Arthritis in my knees...grrrrr
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I'm 65. I've taken the summer off, but am back now and went back to the pool. My problem is that I like to exercise and want to try new things but it's hard to find the time. I'm busy with my family everyday.
    My routine is acquagym twice a week, swimming twice a week, yogaflex once a week, and strength training at the gym once a week. I also do stretching and yoga 3 times a week at home, plus walking around the city (Rome).
    Yes, I'd love to find the time to do even more. I want to start Tai Chi this year.

I'd say that you might want to try new things. I have to work around injuries and health problems, and that's just normal as we age. However, there's always SOMETHING you can do, if you look around. MFP has lots of ideas. Good luck and enjoy yourself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Hi,Luv2eatSweets,
    I am Kathleen from Phoenix, Az..I am new to the message boards and although I am not a big talker, I am looking for support, information and of course new friends with similar goals.
    I have been a Fitness Pal logger since 2013 which has helped me be accountable as far as what goes in my mouth (accountable not successful though) I am a volume eater and carb addict. I am 5"4" 188.5lb over 70, woman.( goal weight 165)
    My problem is the increased pain in my joints and body that has been very inhibiting with following through with an exercise program. It is just arthritis but can be debilitating at times.I also have injuries, from a car accident 20 years ago, and am having difficulty keeping physically active.
    I have been doing water aerobics to stay limber but I know I need to increase my muscle strength, and tone, I have an adversion to getting down on the floor but I need increased strength, increased calorie burn, and balance.
    Is anyone else having any success with floor exercising? ((the volume eating is another problem)I know I can do this but I feel so alone. I still haven't felt safe enough to go to LA Fitness because of the" VIRUS".I may have to risk it sooner than later if I can't motivate myself to do my strength training at home.

Are you in the US, and an AARP or Silver Sneakers member? They have some online videos of exercise routines for seniors for developing strength and working on balance, using things like exercise bands, and adaptations for limited ability to get down on the floor. I'm sure there are free YouTube videos that are similar things, but the AARP or Silver Sneakers ones are quite carefully vetted, and we have to do our own checking of YouTubers credentials and such. (Silver Sneakers is covered by some Medicare supplement insurances. The AARP videos, as far as I can tell, are public & free - not sure if limited by national location.)

The AARP exercise link is: https://videos.aarp.org/category/videos/fitness

I'm not personally a happy video exerciser, but have tried out some of the these videos (found them well done), and some of my same-age friends are big fans of Silver Sneakers or AARP as more suitable for our demographic.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Options
    Yes I am, but like you not too fond of videos. I find them a bit tedious. Not a Silver Sneakers or AARP member .
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @Luv2eatSweets - I'll be 64 in November and no, I don't think my body is "over it" yet. And it certainly sounds as if you are maintaining a fairly high volume of exercise. As several others have mentioned, being smart about rest and recovery is the key to avoiding injury. I'd say the "mixed messages" you refer to are more likely clues that you may need additional recovery, or a change in programming to keep things fresh and your body moving in different ways.
    Since I do lots of cardio work each week, I track not only my fitness, but also my fatigue. Understanding how and when to give yourself recovery and rehab work (yoga, foam rolling, stretching, massage, etc.) is one of the most important skills in remaining healthy and active.

Finally, if you want an idea of how long some people keep going at a very high level of performance, just look at any participant list in the large endurance races, whether running, triathlon, cycling and the like. You will see participants in their 50's, 60's, 70's and beyond among the race finishers. These folks are participating in multi hour events and often placing in the top 50% of all athletes. My favorite was the gentlemen I saw several years ago lined up at an Olympic distance triathlon swim start. He was 88 years old at the time. :)

• SomeMFPuser
    SomeMFPuser Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Over the last 9 years, I've gone from an intense exerciser (for me anyways) to a more moderate over the last few years. Things hurt more and I don't rebound as fast now.

Also, the energy level isn't what it was 9 years ago and in some cases nor is the desire.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi,Luv2eatSweets,
    I am Kathleen from Phoenix, Az..I am new to the message boards and although I am not a big talker, I am looking for support, information and of course new friends with similar goals.
    I have been a Fitness Pal logger since 2013 which has helped me be accountable as far as what goes in my mouth (accountable not successful though) I am a volume eater and carb addict. I am 5"4" 188.5lb over 70, woman.( goal weight 165)
    My problem is the increased pain in my joints and body that has been very inhibiting with following through with an exercise program. It is just arthritis but can be debilitating at times.I also have injuries, from a car accident 20 years ago, and am having difficulty keeping physically active.
    I have been doing water aerobics to stay limber but I know I need to increase my muscle strength, and tone, I have an adversion to getting down on the floor but I need increased strength, increased calorie burn, and balance.
    Is anyone else having any success with floor exercising? ((the volume eating is another problem)I know I can do this but I feel so alone. I still haven't felt safe enough to go to LA Fitness because of the" VIRUS".I may have to risk it sooner than later if I can't motivate myself to do my strength training at home.

Hi, Kathleen.

I do mat yoga and Pilates classes once or twice a day, at a local yoga studio. It’s much much smaller and more personal than a big box Fitness place. I know most the other students, class sizes are limited and remain socially distances, most studios will permit you to register online to reserve a space, and my studio is a stickler about cleaning floors between every class. Masks are optional. I only take hot classes, and masks are not practical for those. They reopened July a year ago, and I’ve never felt uncomfortable or worried.

Most studios will offer various levels of classes, and we get everything from a delightful middle school young lady to older people. One of our instructors is in her late 60’s or so.

My husband is a member of a gym that is affiliated with a large local hospital, but open to the public. They offer a ton of mat (and other) classes, including chair yoga and other classes (aerobics, chair weights, tai chi, “Fit Generation”)specifically geared towards older or recovering populations. They require vaccination certification, and are also sticklers about masking inside the building.

If you’re bringing your own mat, it’s your own little personal piece of real estate that you are responsible for sanitizing. I have mats that can be machine washed and hung to dry, and I rotate them regularly.

Most studios/instructors no longer do “hands on assist” for obvious reasons, or if they do, will ask before class if anyone would like to opt out.

I’ve had several instructors say over the years that ability to get on and up from the floor is an excellent predictor of future mobility, and this, health. I don’t know if it’s clinically proven or not, but it certainly makes sense to me, and is something I try to keep in mind.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Someone once linked a video called "Get up!!". It was an older coach having a young man get up from the floor in various scenerios--one arm behind your back, using only one leg, both arms behind your back, etc...... I found it fascinating. It wasn't easy, and the young man had to find the right technique with each one. Being older, learning to get up from the floor could save your life, especially after a fall.