Best restaurant choices?

Options
I have a big family <3 and we are always out and about. I know packing a snack or lunch is best, but if I end up at a fast food place (because they are inexpensive for a big family), what are the best ones to go to and what are your favorite things to order that are relatively healthy (for fast food) and still taste great? I know some of the items appear to be healthy, but are loaded in salt or sugar or fats so what are your favorites for a quick bite to eat on the road? :)

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    salt, sugar, and fat dont matter so much as calories (assuming you do not have health issues that make them a priority such as diabetes or high blood pressure)

most chains will have calories listed either on the menu or on their website.

find what works in your calories for the day, or if you know you will be eating there before youve had anything else to eat, plan that meal FIRST, then work the rest of your day from that (which is what i typically do)

a whopper junior is only about 350 calories. skip the fries and regular soda and its a perfectly normal sized calorie meal (for me)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Subway, which will make any sub into a salad (I ask for vinegar only as a dressing, but there would be other options that are reasonable); Taco Bell (where there are quite a few good options - check out their online nutrition calculator in advance, because you can order many, many more variations than show up on their menu boards).

I'm vegetarian, so wouldn't choose the burger-type places. When I'm backed into it (traveling with friends who like them, so I tolerate it occasionally), I'll usually get a plain salad plus a nonfat latte and/or egg sandwich with double egg at McDonalds; salad plus baked potato at Wendy's.

Panera or Starbucks or even Chipotle have better choices, from my perspective, but it's still good to check out the menus in advance. Even as a veg, I find I can usually find something reasonable to eat almost anywhere, if I check out the menus beforehand and have some options in mind.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,185 Member
    Options
    Many places will do an iceberg lettuce wrapped burger now instead of with bun. Ask?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    It will really depend on your definitions of healthy.

Wendy's: I like their pecan, apple, grilled chicken salad.
    Zaxby's: blackened blue zalad or a few chicken strips & a side of cole slaw.
    McDonalds: double cheeseburger & small fry order. Its about 700 calories which may be high for some needs. If that is the case, then do a Happy Meal.
    Taco Bell: steak cantina bowl
    Chick fil a: an order of regular chicken nuggets OR a grilled chicken sandwich.
    Subway: most 6 inch sandwiches.
    Jersey Mikes: regular BLT - but I have them leave off the mayo. Then I add a controlled portion of light mayo. Or on a higher calorie day, a regular philly which is about 720 calories. The blt once I add light mayo is about 490.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    When our family of 7 does fast food, which is rare as I typically prefer to pack, we can feed a lot of us very inexpensively by stacking a few Wendy's 4 for $4 meals. I usually get a junior bacon cheeseburger and let my children split the chicken nuggets and most of the fries, and get a diet soda for myself. If I ate fast food more regularly, I would probably do grilled chicken or a salad, but we rarely eat burgers at home so it feels like a nice treat to get one, and I can usually fit it into my calories very easily unlike a larger sandwich.
  • Myswt6
    Myswt6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    These are all fantastic ideas. I don't like to drink tap water at restaurants so I tend to order sodas and taking my own water is a great way to cut calories with no effort! Thank you to everyone for offering a few ideas as I tend to order things out of habit rather than looking at the calories...... which is why I am on MFP now! EEK!!!! :#
  • bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion is to get your burger or sandwich without mayonnaise or cheese. Those add a lot of calories that I don't find I really miss if they're removed.
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Anywhere that has grilled chicken strips (chick fil a, Pdq, zaxby’s,) or a grilled chicken sandwich no bun extra lettuce, tomato, and pickle. Most burger places will do the burgers with no bun. I ask for salads with no cheese and dressing on the side. I will choose kids meal lots of places for lower calories. I love the 10 veggie soup at Panera. McDonald’s is usually sugar free iced coffee since they are not doing grilled chicken or salads near me. Any taco place. Our local Greek place does chicken and shrimp skewers which are my fav fast food! I start by checking menus and calories in advance so I don’t end up eating all the leftover fries…
  • al0481113
    al0481113 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    While traveling I like to stop by I Hop. Their big omelet for breakfast makes me full for the whole day 😋
  • isohrob1
    isohrob1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Most places let you customize their items and provide options such as grilled instead of fried. If I'm peculiar about my calories for the day I ask for sauce on the side/no sauce, go for grilled options, and will opt for a salad with plenty of protein on it as opposed to say a sandwich. For specific restaurants I love the build-a-bowl type places like Chipotle, Cava, or Mezzeh (you may have more local options). Chick fil a is also a great option, as well as Subway in terms of customizability.