Does anyone have any good low calorie recipes or snacks

Options
Hello everyone, I’m Alaina and I’m 22. I’m kind of restarting my weightloss journey. I just bought a house and live on my own now and I’m in need of some low calorie recipe ideas and low calorie snacks to add to my grocery list.

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple for snacks - cut up fruits and veggies with yogurt dip or hummus are great. Hardboiled eggs and cottage cheese are nice for higher protein snacks. I don't usually do prepackaged stuff, but I do keep a box of protein bars for on the go - I find these can vary a lot so it's best to just find one that suits your tastes and calorie needs.

Congratulations on your new house!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Options
    PS if you find yourself craving sweets, a diabetes coach told us years ago that your tastebuds recognize cinnamon as “sweet”. You can put a good quality cinnamon on just about anything and it instantly tastes sweeter.

Frontier Coop Saigon aka Vietnamese cinnamon is the best. You’d never beleive the variety of cinnamon could make a difference but it does.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    For recipes, I think MFP has some pretty good stuff.

There are a lot of good ideas in the MFP blogs, where there's a whole recipes section. Direct link:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/recipes/

I'm not sure where it is in the phone/tablet app, but in web MFP there's a page where you can sign up for email newsletters, one of which is for recipes. Here's the page in web MFP to sign up:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/email_settings

Last but not least, there's a part of the MFP Community forums specifically for recommending or asking about recipes, where you might find some good stuff. Here's a direct link to that:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/recipes

For snacks, I like hard-boiled eggs (pickled keep an even longer time in the fridge, tasty, easy to make), reduced fat string cheese, cottage cheese, crispy chickpeas or broad beans (available commercially or make your own), Greek yogurt, frozen berries with the yogurt plus chocolate peanut butter powder (like PB2), raw veggies, fruit, pickles (all types, not just cucumber).

Sometimes I make an oven-full of roasted veggies - whatever's in season that roasts well - put them in the refrigerator, then use them all week as snacks, cold in salads, reheated briefly to mix with grain or pasta and a protein, as a sandwich ingredient, etc.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Original fudgesicle 80 cal. An excellent source of chocolate

Popcorn - make your own and you can control the level of butter

Sugar free jello - 20 calories for a whole cup

Lite laughing cow cheese and Good thins crackers

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Pop your own popcorn and season with a few squirts of olive oil or I cant believe its not butter, boiled eggs, roasted beets in apple cider vinegar.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I think it might be helpful for you to give some idea of any dietary restrictions you have - or what calorie goal you're shooting for for a snack or meal bc that will be different for everyone.

Example: A 'meal' to me should be like.... at least 500+ calories (anywhere from 500-900 or something even depending on my activity level that day). A 'snack' might be like 150-300 depending.

I keep convenient things bc that works best for me with my job:
    Kind Bars
    Kashi bars (various)
    Larabars
    Sahale nut/dried fruit mixes
    Chili Roasted Pistachios (or some other type of seasoned nut)
    Duke's smoked sausages

Meals: for lunch at work I am into convenience like I said -- so I typically use Veetee Rice & Easy Jasmine rice (it's parcooked so you just stick it in the microwave) - 1 package is 2 services (~200 something calories per service) so again, depending on what my activity level is or how hungry I am I may eat half or the whole package of rice. I always also include a protein (and veggies). Like chicken or salmon (smoked sometimes).

Example: This morning I had a medium iced coffee from Dunkin with cream/sugar. A strawberry Kashi bar (basically their version of a Nutrigrain bar), two Duke's smoked sausages (these I had early morning as a snack), then I had a full package of Jasmine Rice and a full package of smoked salmon (4oz).

So my morning snack/coffee was 450 calories and my lunch was 560 calories. I am going to be going for a 6 mile (hopefully a bit more) run today....so I'll have PLENTY of calories left for dinner.

It all depends on what your personal calorie needs are.