Options
please someone tell me how to track progress in cups and ounces and not
grams...some foods i can do just fine with but not when they use grams as
a measurement...thanks ..elaine w.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It's more accurate to use weight measurements than volume, but if you want to do that, you will need to look for entries with volumetric measurements, check labels (which you should be doing anyway - the database goes back over 15 years, recipes/serving sizes change), maybe do some math.

What, specifically, do you find challenging about grams? Food scales aren't expensive, you can pick one up for ten bucks at the grocery store.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Cups are meant for liquids - but solid food is best measured in grams/ounces because it is, well, solid. And the ounce that is a weight measurement is not the same thing to the ounce that is a volume measurement. Many labels will say something like serving size = 1/4 cup (28g). That does not mean that what you pour into a measuring cup to the 1/4 cup mark will be 28g. That is why cups are inaccurate for solid foods.
  • leeandho
    leeandho Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yes, i did do some math...30 grams = ounce
    only my second day...i get better at recording
    thanks to you both for your information :)
  • leeandho
    Options
    It's more accurate to use weight measurements than volume, but if you want to do that, you will need to look for entries with volumetric measurements, check labels (which you should be doing anyway - the database goes back over 15 years, recipes/serving sizes change), maybe do some math.

What, specifically, do you find challenging about grams? Food scales aren't expensive, you can pick one up for ten bucks at the grocery store.
  • leeandho
    Options
    I did not realize a scale would be so reasonable
    One will be in this house tomorrow..thanks for the
    Information.
    It will put an end to a lot of guessing