Is my heart rate normal

Options
13»

Replies

• hjahangiri
    hjahangiri Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Another thing that can feel like a heart attack but isn't: esophageal or bronchial spasms. Especially the latter. Esophageal spasms actually feel like what they are - but in an overabundance of caution, they will test first for cardiac problems. (Ironically, a nitro patch or sublingual nitro will stop esophageal spasms as well as it treats angina.)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    No matter what your fitness level, chest pains are never something to ignore. Please see a doctor!
  • nihap23
    nihap23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    yeah mine goes down to 40 bpm as well when I'm asleep
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    We have recently had a couple of healthy 20ish year olds phone my doctor's surgery saying their fitbits had told them their sleeping heart rates were perilously low. They were both completely fine! God knows what their fitbits are up to!
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    imrf8og9g9eq.jpeg

As I’ve improved my health my bpm has dropped. It was never high when I was at my heaviest and now that I typically walk and jog daily about 7 miles it’s consistently in the 40s. I have a Drs appt. at the end of the month so will bring it up again. He had mentioned earlier this year about possibly doing a full blown check of my heart's overall efficiency. With current state of affairs I didn’t want to unnecessarily take up the time with this so hadn’t followed up.

An additional bit of info. When I workout I get my heart rate nice and high, but my recovery is fast. I drop 20-40 bpm from when I finish at a 1 and 2 min post workout reading. Within 5 mins I can be back in the 70s.

Checking in with Drs is really the best thing to do..
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    imrf8og9g9eq.jpeg

As I’ve improved my health my bpm has dropped. It was never high when I was at my heaviest and now that I typically walk and jog daily about 7 miles it’s consistently in the 40s. I have a Drs appt. at the end of the month so will bring it up again. He had mentioned earlier this year about possibly doing a full blown check of my heart's overall efficiency. With current state of affairs I didn’t want to unnecessarily take up the time with this so hadn’t followed up.

An additional bit of info. When I workout I get my heart rate nice and high, but my recovery is fast. I drop 20-40 bpm from when I finish at a 1 and 2 min post workout reading. Within 5 mins I can be back in the 70s.

I dunno. Asking a doctor about a heart rate that's fairly common among athletes in good condition, when one is pretty physically active oneself seems like something in the nature of humble brag.

108-year-old walks into doctor's examination room under own steam, not even using a cane: "Doc, I'm worried. All of my siblings and even a couple of my kids died years ago, yet here I am, still going pretty strong. Do you think there's something wrong with me?"
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    imrf8og9g9eq.jpeg

I dunno. Asking a doctor about a heart rate that's fairly common among athletes in good condition, when one is pretty physically active oneself seems like something in the nature of humble brag.

108-year-old walks into doctor's examination room under own steam, not even using a cane: "Doc, I'm worried. All of my siblings and even a couple of my kids died years ago, yet here I am, still going pretty strong. Do you think there's something wrong with me?"

Hey I understand what you’re saying, but when going from over 400 to under 200 via just an overall lifestyle adjustment at my age is a little surprising when my bpm is typically associated with a well trained athlete. I know BMI can be a relative #, but according to the BMI range I am still overweight for a 6 ft man. In my case my efficiency does go to an extreme that I can go under 40 bpm and my drop after a workout has been as high as a 50-60 bpm drop. Now I don’t experience any of issues with poor health and low resting rate, but hypotension does pop into my head and that’s where I stop self diagnosing. Drs are trained and I will not be one to know better and tell them what may be wrong if anything. I did get a chuckle from him at my yearly when I dubbed myself a “FAThlete” earlier this year. That was 30 lbs ago. He had told me no need to go under 200, but in my younger years I was a jogger/cyclist and long jogs or rides at a heavier weight for a man twice the age well I decided I needed more to come off. Going back to my original reply. I had chosen to not pursue the efficiency check that will be his decision when I see him towards the end of the month if at all necessary. To illustrate while typing this the watch just pinged…

ceedn4tj80hu.jpeg

2svkevn837y1.jpeg
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    @39flavours Not that it may relate to you at all, but just sharing my experience…back in my mid-forties, same height and 5-10 pounds less than you, I had chest pain. It felt like someone was squeezing my heart, under my left breast. My doc was confident that it was heartburn, but did a treadmill/dye/EKG test just in case. The test results came back all good with the heart and she prescribed Protonix for six months. She said I would feel much better very quickly, but to take the med for that length of time to give my esophagus a chance to heal. I felt better quickly, I believe in a matter of two or three weeks, and the pain fully went away. I know people have heartburn often, but I never did before, excluding the last couple months of my second pregnancy. That felt like heartburn (a burning sensation in the center of my chest). This one in my mid 40s, didn’t feel like heartburn at all. During this time frame, I had a higher level of stress. Every few years at the most, I get the same sensation and take the over-the-counter med, omeprazole, for two weeks and I’m good to go. Long story short: I had heartburn, which felt like chest pain, due to poorly managed stress. Perhaps this may be a consideration for your doctor. Hope you feel better soon.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    [quote="lynn_glenmont;c-

[/quote]

108-year-old walks into doctor's examination room under own steam, not even using a cane: "Doc, I'm worried. All of my siblings and even a couple of my kids died years ago, yet here I am, still going pretty strong. Do you think there's something wrong with me?"[/quote]

@lynn-glemont - seriously? A humble brag? He was just stating his heart rate was low.....geeze.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    [quote="lynn_glenmont;c-

108-year-old walks into doctor's examination room under own steam, not even using a cane: "Doc, I'm worried. All of my siblings and even a couple of my kids died years ago, yet here I am, still going pretty strong. Do you think there's something wrong with me?"[/quote]

@lynn-glemont - seriously? A humble brag? He was just stating his heart rate was low.....geeze.

[/quote]

Seriously. Yup. A heart rate in the 40s may be a bit unusual but, when it's not causing a problem (asymptomatic) and is not a sudden change from the individual's normal stats, it is generally a good thing indicating good health.

ETA: My point was more that, under the circumstances described, this doesn't seem like something to be wasting anxiety over.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I had a low HR.. until I got my pacemaker/defibrillator planted in my chest... I have CHF.

Now don't panic. Just go see your doctor, and discuss this with them.. determine WHY it is low.. and 44 is low.

72 is normal, and my ICD keeps my HR at 75 now.. I would routinely hit 50 or less, and set off alarms in the hospital, so it isn't something normal. Whether 55 is a problem is not something to decide on here.. go see the doctor, and make sure it isn't a problem, or if it is, they can deal with it properly.

I would take it easy until you see the doctor, and worry about a fitness regimen, AFTER you deal with any possible issue, with guidance from your doctor.

The other issues.. lack of energy, muscle weakness, and chest pains are more alarming.. especially when combined with low HR. You might be hoping for no medical issue, but the truth is, if you don't have any medical issue, then you have these problems, and without a cause, have no solution.

You really should want to find out you have a minor medical issue, and know it is treatable.. maybe a pill, and get on a regimen, and feel a lot better, and be able to live a long productive life. That way you aren't wondering what is wrong.

I was diagnosed with CHF 20 years ago at 27 years old.. I am healthier now, than then. I exercise regularly, and feel pretty good most days. I wish I hadn't waited until I had to go to the E.R., to see a doctor. Best thing to do is go find out, then go from there.

Hopefully, it is something minor, and easily taken care of, and you can resume exercise, and feel better too. Catching it early, may mean if there is a medical issue, it doesn't get too serious.