Anyone over 50 and need to lose 50?!

Options
Why is this so much harder at 50? I can no longer blame my hypothyroidism or menopause. Can I? :)

Replies

• BW__NOT
    BW__NOT Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm over 50 for sure....need to lose about 20!
  • kibelea
    kibelea Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi I need to lose 50 Lbs, also. Spent a lifetime as trim and fit until about 15 years ago when I put on the weight, and never lost it. I think that as we age,many things come into play that slows our weight loss progress. On the micro level, perhaps cell regeneration? On the physical level, perhaps our endurance to certain activities decreases? I know I am more tired now than i was last year. For me, I believe that my tastes buds play a big part in my problem. Over the years, I went from extremely, physically active to just about sedentary. My food included a lot of carbs which i used during my activities. My eating habits need to have changed but unfortunately, I developped a taste for certain foods that I find almost impossible to shake...
  • lindalfg
    lindalfg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I am close to the same boat, with one exception, I need to lose at least 100lbs. Was going real good, but lapsed a little and have gained 5 lbs back. But today is a new day and I won't give up! Neither should you!! Keep posting and writing it down. Will be posting again, good luck. :)
  • tinapq73
    tinapq73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well 50 is a beginning goal. Truth be told I have more like 75
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I'm 56 and have lost 28 pounds in just over 3 months (started on March 7). My original goal was 52 pounds, so I have 24 to go. I'll re-evaluate as I get closer to goal. Weight loss may be a little slower when we're over 50, but you can still accomplish your weight-loss goals! Hang in there!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and I would like to lose at least 20. Everyday is a new beginning, don't beat yourself up & just try to go for more walks! Good luck to ya!
  • tinapq73
    Options
    Thanks Cookie!
  • tinapq73
    Options
    28 lbs in 3 months is fantastic! Great job!
  • tinapq73
    Options
    I often times here how expensive it is to eat healthy. I think it cost me way more to eat out every week. It's all about perspective.
  • grammaoregon
    grammaoregon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    BeesmaMFP wrote: »
    You can do this! I'm 56 and have lost 28 pounds in just over 3 months (started on March 7). My original goal was 52 pounds, so I have 24 to go. I'll re-evaluate as I get closer to goal. Weight loss may be a little slower when we're over 50, but you can still accomplish your weight-loss goals! Hang in there!

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    tinapq73 wrote: »
    Why is this so much harder at 50? I can no longer blame my hypothyroidism or menopause. Can I? :)

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost more slowly than most MFPers—so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

MFP has a Near or Post Menopausal group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • avila629
    avila629 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm almost 60 and need to lose 60! I am turning 59 in a couple weeks and am sick and tired of being overweight. I am excited to be kinder to myself and feel better.
  • neb0001
    neb0001 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible! I am 62 and have lost over 60 pounds. One problem I had was that I was too heavy to exercise, so I just followed a LCHF diet in the beginning. After I had lost 25 pounds I started walking on a treadmill. I still follow a LCHF diet and walk for 30 minutes 5 or 6 times a week.
  • calacris
    calacris Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i just recently started tracking my meals using MFP. I am 53 and have an intermediate goal of 50 lbs to lose. I am trying South Beach diet and am 7 lbs down. Writing down everything that goes in my mouth helps. I believe menopause has made a huge difference in my weigh and body. I went from a pear shape to a pear-apple once I hit menopause. Thanks hormones!
  • SunSetTraveler
    SunSetTraveler Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with so many things said here..I am 58 and have 50+ to lose but its time to b more patient and kinder to myself and write everything down that goes into my mouth! 🌻
  • 2tryharder
    2tryharder Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and need to lose at least 40. I hurt so much more than 10 years ago. My feet, my back....it makes it harder to work off the calories. I've lost 7 lbs in 3 months: 2 down 1 up, 1 down, 1 up - like that for MONTHS. It's frustrating. You guys that are making it work are definitely an inspiration!