“Kettlebells Found to Increase Joint Damage Over Time,” Says Personal Trainer Nick Sage

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Not really a study. Just an observation from one trainer. My observation, not that anyone cares, 99% of people have zero clue about how to even swing a KB. It's a ballistic movement, driven by the hips and glutes, yet the "American Swing", which is just incorrect BS in my opinion, is a squat with a lift of the ball with your arms. I can see people getting injured doing that.

About the only things I do with heavy KBs, because of risk of injury, are swings (with correct form), lighter Getups and deadlifts.

Even some relatively "famous" trainers have crap out there that's terrible with KBs. Two that come to mind are Fitness Blender (their HIIT KB video is downright dangerous) and the two from The Biggest Loser (Bob and Jillian -- both have hideous KB stuff out).
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    A search for Kith University or Dr Jorge Holiday brings up nothing of any relevance. I can find no evidence whatsoever of any study showing that kettlebells increase joint damage over time. Though I do accept that if you drop a kettlebell on to your knee, you are likely to do some damage.

I guess lots of walking could cause joint damage over time. Perhaps we should ban walking, too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I really don't see how if you are using them correctly...which I suppose many do not. I think they became kind of trendy for awhile and people put together some pretty crap KB movements and routines to get in on the "action" so maybe that's where it's coming from.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    "Personal trainer Nick Sage tells us that kettlebells can lead to joint pain, injury, and even permanent damage over time."

ZOMG NO WAY!!!! You know what else can lead to injury? ANYFREAKINTHING worth doing. At all. This is basically clickbait.

I am willing to bet this "personal trainer" has a super secret one weird trick life hack that he is willing to sell you that will keep you 100% safe for the rest of your life (as long as you keep a valid credit card on file, of course).