How Do I Calculate Chicken Calories?

Options
My fitnesspal says a 100 gm of chicken drumstick contains about 178 calories,is the bone weight included in these measurements,cause when you finish there is really a lot of bone.

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I weigh it before serving and weigh what goes in the garbage after. If it is just chicken breast I look for bonelss breast cooked calories. It is a whole chicken I look for whole chicken calories. Usually, it is a rotisserie chicken and that has good data so I just weight the bag before and after eating.Put all the bones and whatnot back in the bag.
  • Incassable0
    Incassable0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    For any meat that has the bone in, I weigh the portion before eating, eat what I want and then weigh what is left (bone, gristle, etc). That will give you the amount that you actually consumed.

And yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy for doing it, but she cannot argue with the results (60 lbs down and still going).

Wow man,great job,no one can argue with that,i am gonna go your way if you managed to lose that much
  • Incassable0
    Incassable0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh it before serving and weigh what goes in the garbage after. If it is just chicken breast I look for bonelss breast cooked calories. It is a whole chicken I look for whole chicken calories. Usually, it is a rotisserie chicken and that has good data so I just weight the bag before and after eating.Put all the bones and whatnot back in the bag.

thanks man,that is a great idea.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you only weigh what you eat.

The one thing you want to watch is that you are choosing an accurate database entry. Technically, meats are generally weighed raw, but there are entries for the cooked versions, so if that is what you are going by, make sure that is the type of entry you select.

obviously, we dont eat bones, so if the entry (such as the drumstick mentioned above) would have a bone in it, you would subtract the weight of the bone/gristle after you eat your portion to get the amount you actually consumed.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

thanks man,that is a great idea.

We weigh meat cooked whenever possible because we don't usually drink the rendered fat which comes off at 9 calories per gram. The highest calorie food there is. So if you leave 12 grams of chicken fat in the pan (about a tablespoon), you aren't logging the 118 calories the fat contains. A half fryer will have about 560 calories of fat, most of which will be rendered out by roasting.
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that cooked meat is actually heavier when it is raw. Most of the calories in MFP are raw weight, so if you are going to measure cooked, I would add 30% or multiply by 1.3.
  • knitski2002
    knitski2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For any meat that has the bone in, I weigh the portion before eating, eat what I want and then weigh what is left (bone, gristle, etc). That will give you the amount that you actually consumed.

And yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy for doing it, but she cannot argue with the results (60 lbs down and still going).

I never thought to do that with a drumstick! I do it with something like a banana, weigh the whole thing and then weigh the peel when I'm done. I'll have to remember that next time I have a drumstick.
  • harnel512
    harnel512 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

But drumsticks have lesser fat when compared to any other cut. How do you record that as? I cant find an option with no bone for a drumstick