Went Over....that a bad thing?

Options
I went over my calories...I didn't want to say no to my parent's spaghetti dinner but going over my calories I feel like I screwed myself over...what should I do?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It depends - were you over by 100 or 1500?
    If it is 100 then you would still be in calorie deficit and it won't make much difference at all.
    If it is 1500, well that means you didn't have a calorie deficit today.

Either way, it's done now. The best thing is to learn from this, if you know you're going to be eating out then plan the rest of the day to allow for those calories. And practice portion control, though I know it's not always easy to say "no thanks Mum, I've had enough!".
  • destunna00
    Options
    i need the same answer i surely went over my calories today but i think if you are exercising equally it allows you more calories to consume. SO i think it depends on the amount of exercise that you do but dont take my word on that lol
  • destunna00
    Options
    thanks for that info so having a calorie deficit is a good thing or bad?
  • smallertopnotch
    Options
    DO some sort of lite exercise now if you could... wk it off
  • Maple669
    Options
    Tomorrow is a brand new day.
  • jermyZ
    Options
    DO some sort of lite exercise now if you could... wk it off

agreed. working off even some of the calories is never a bad thing.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Nah. Just don't do it too often. Squeeze in a workout if you can.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Going over a little bit once in awhile is not going to hurt anything..You just move on the next day..
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I look at it as a weekly aggregate. Some days are better than others. But if I am in a deficit at the end of the week.....WINNING.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm anticipating the same thing tomorrow. It's my daughter's bday and she wants Italian for dinner. Pasta is fine if you can only eat a cup of it, but REALLY? I've been at or below my calorie goal all week so far, so I think one celebration shouldn't derail me too much. I promise to stay away from the cake!
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

When you first signed up for MFP, you put in your starting weight and other stats including how much you want to lose. If you chose 1 lb per week, then MFP set you up for a 500 calorie a day deficit. So, if your MFP says you can eat 1500 calories, you are already at a 500 calorie deficit, so you want to be around 0 calories remaining at the end of the day. Yes, exercise gives you more calories, so if you burn 500 calories, it will bring you up to being able to eat 2000 calories. I try to aim between 100 calories under and 100 calories over, but find day to day it can be more like 250 above or below.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    One day doesn't break a diet (or lifestyle). You can exercise a little more to get your 24hr average down, but unless you ate thousands over it won't have a lasting impact. Just get back on the horse, wagon or whatever. :)
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Going over one day is nothing to freak over. Factor it into your week and adjust. Take a macro view.

When this is happening multiple times a week, you have a problem that needs correcting.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Having a calorie deficit is necessary to lose weight.
    Basically it means "burn more than your eat".

But, people can get a bit confused about this, usually for two reasons.

MFP has set you up with a calorie deficit in your daily allowance. So, if your daily allowance is 1400 you should eat around 1400 (plus exercise calories, but that's a topic for another day). A few cals under or over aren't going to hurt ,ut too many under isn't healthy and too many over mean you won't lose weight.

The other area where people get confused is "burn more than you eat".
    This doesn't mean go to the gym and burn 1500 and eat 1400 cals.
    It means take into account the calories your body burns to get you through the day (you know, breathing, heart pumping, walking around, digesting, talking, snoring... all the essential stuff!) plus the calories you burn at the gym or in your job. Then eat less than this total amount. That's your calorie deficit!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    what He said
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Having a calorie deficit is necessary to lose weight.
    Basically it means "burn more than your eat".

But, people can get a bit confused about this, usually for two reasons.

MFP has set you up with a calorie deficit in your daily allowance. So, if your daily allowance is 1400 you should eat around 1400 (plus exercise calories, but that's a topic for another day). A few cals under or over aren't going to hurt ,ut too many under isn't healthy and too many over mean you won't lose weight.

The other area where people get confused is "burn more than you eat".
    This doesn't mean go to the gym and burn 1500 and eat 1400 cals.
    It means take into account the calories your body burns to get you through the day (you know, breathing, heart pumping, walking around, digesting, talking, snoring... all the essential stuff!) plus the calories you burn at the gym or in your job. Then eat less than this total amount. That's your calorie deficit!

quoted for truth!! an excellent and clear post about a topic sooooo many ppl have questions about.
  • musicmint
    Options
    Thanks yeah I'll take that into mind....I'm hopping on the treadmill an extra mile tommorrow! .....which really isn't much of a difference because I walk anyway