Best shoes for Zumba...

Options
I've been taking Zumba classes 2 - 3 times a week for 3 months (LOVE IT!) and I now realize I need to get a pair of shoes better suited for this activity. Would love to get some input on which athletic shoes everyone is using for Zumba. Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    When my daughter was on the high school dance team she was told for bouncing jumping dance moves and kicking they should get shoes made for volleyball. I am not sure how zumba compares to "dance".
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I bought these for Zumba and love them: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VWCG6U
    You do have to buy them one size larger than you actually where in shoes.
  • hk714
    hk714 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SANSHA by far. I have had Bloch and Danskin and the Sansha are the most comfortable and keep your knees from torqueing out. I have been doing it for about 3 years. You can get them online but buy up a size or two. I usually wear a women's 7 and mine are an 8. Dance shoes run really small. I went to a dance place and tried on a few and the one consistency is the size up. I think they are called Zumba or hip hop dance shoes. You have to get something that lets you spin on the balls of your feet. Enjoy!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Vibran FiveFinger "Classic" or "Performa"

If you like Zumba'ing au naturale!
  • SheWei
    SheWei Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found some after doing some research and found these Ryka Studio D to be the ones I've liked to use during my Zumba workouts.
    My Zumba instructor also recommended Nike Shox.

Here's the link for the shoes.
    http://www.zappos.com/ryka-studio-d-black-gun-metal
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have different shoes based on the teacher ....but I usually just wear my new balance runnin shoes.. they are super light and don't stick -- but I can't wear my nike running shoes they stick.

I have some nike musique, ryka and vibrams 5finger and even foot undeez...and sometime just my chuck taylors.

Really depends on what you like... some people do it barefoot...I can't.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    they sell zumba shoes on the zumba website. in general you do not want to use running shoes as these have a lot of tread on them. the less tread the better for zumba. it will help you not to stick to the floor when moving around and will help make ur legs and feet not hurt after ur workout. we just had this convo in zumba class today with the instructor :)
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bump. I need this info too.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I use dancefit sneakers - my ones are from Vivaz dance (in Sydney and on the Web), but you can also get them from Bloch, and probably a few other places besides.

So much better than using cross trainers!
  • Cheryl_Catrair
    Cheryl_Catrair Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!! Excited to get my Zumba on.... :-)
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have tried 3 different sneakers/shoes for zumba and I'll tell you about them. It really depends on the floor
    1) Reebok cross trainers - too much friction for dance floor and mat
    2) Sansha dance shoes, awesome on a mat but way too slippery on a dance floor. I had a hard time squating while trying to keep for slipping.
    3) Danskin sneakers ($15 from walmart) have worked the best for both so far!

I am coveting the Ryka transitions but I know my huby will kill me if I buy another pair of Zumba shoes. LOL

Good luck
    ~Donna
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, my sansha shoes have suede bottoms, no tread. Think I ordered the wrong ones!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I wear New Balance 662. I actually bought them for running, but have found I like them better for Zumba. They have a little stick (so I don't go slipping and sliding everywhere when I want to stay put), but they are SO lightweight! When I picked up the box, I thought it was empty.

I have heard that Nike Musique is really good for Zumba. I was actually on the lookout for them when I got the New Balance.
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    This doesn't bring us any closer to the answer but has anyone else noticed that the instructors in the official videos are wearing cowboy boots?! And flared hipster trackpants, how can I not be endeared to an exercise form with such stylized fashion sense?!