How to enjoy running again?

Options
Hi guys!

For background, I used to enjoy running a lot and have done so increasingly more since the first lockdown, managing to do 3 runs per week all ~30min. I enjoyed the run and enjoyed seeing myself improved. Then I stopped. I'm not sure why but I presume I just got busy and forgot about this habit.

So, a week ago I made the choice to build this routine again. And it's not so much that I lost endurance - on the treadmill with music I managed to run 25min no problem the other day - but that I stop often because I'm getting bored 😐. Today, for example, I told myself to run first thing in the morning and in effect got up at 10am because I dreaded it so much. When I got out, it was sunny and quiet - just the way I like it - and I had to stop after 12min, not because I was out of breath but because I felt bored and 'thought I'm better off doing something else'. On Monday I also only managed to run 10min. I tried new tracks but this isn't any good either. And I never have listend to music before when running outside and would like to stick to that habit so I'm unsure what to do.

For now, I'm just trying to get out and run for as long as I can manage and simply adjust my diet accordingly. But I hope this is only temporary. Ironically, I miss enjoying running a lot.

Do I just stick with it and run until it eventually is fun again? Do I run less? Do I run intervals even though I could run for longer? I'd love to hear your experience!

Replies

• Xierrax
    Xierrax Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @thisvickyruns Thanks for your input and I totally understand what you're saying! It's just that I used to love running so much and that wasn't longer than 2-3months ago that I don't think I suddenly started hating it as much as something currently blocks me or prevents me from finding that flow again. I still love the idea of running and being a runner but when it comes to the execution, this is where I'm currently struggling
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It's much more fun with other people. Join a run club. Outdoor group running is also is reasonably social-distanced.

(If this Damn-Pemic ever goes away, you might like to try an indoor run clinic. The one I did was in a darkened room with dance music and a DJ/trainer. We all had beers after. It was a party!)
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Xierrax wrote: »
    @thisvickyruns Thanks for your input and I totally understand what you're saying! It's just that I used to love running so much and that wasn't longer than 2-3months ago that I don't think I suddenly started hating it as much as something currently blocks me or prevents me from finding that flow again. I still love the idea of running and being a runner but when it comes to the execution, this is where I'm currently struggling

maybe you need a goal? sign up to a race, so you have something to train for?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I first started all this good livin' I started out running...mostly because that was largely what I saw fit and healthy people doing. Initially, I "enjoyed" it as well, and then it just kind of fell off and I was bored and running just became a slog. I realized that I didn't actually enjoy running in and of itself...there was a bit of a honey moon period where I was losing weight and I enjoyed being outside and active again...that's what I was enjoying, not so much the act of running.

I kept slogging through with it though and started training for a sprint triathlon that I was going to do with my mom. I ended up with an injury a couple of weeks before the race, so I was unable to participate, but in that process I found a great love and enthusiasm for cycling and have never looked back. To this point, I haven't run in years but I road cycle quite a bit and get up to the mountains to mountain bike at some point most weekends.

Really, it was being active that I enjoyed, not so much the running...so I found a way of being active where I truly enjoyed the activity.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I have the same mental issues with it. I do better with a running/program when I have an event on the horizon. I LOVE the atmosphere of 5k/10k/half marathon events. But virtual runs do NOTHING for me.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    Options
    The things that help me when I'm struggling - audio books, new kit, race entry, new routes, routes that go past nice cafes :D

When I first started running, I joined a club, trained for nearly a year, did a half marathon then stopped. For years. Couldn't tell you why, I had liked doing it.
    Eventually re -started and specifically like trail running. Never worry about times, only aim for distances. There are different ways of being a runner, take the pressure off and have fun. It'll come back.
  • MikeRunsDaily2021
    Options
    I find when I lack motivation I pick a race or new distance. Otherwise try changing your pace for different runs can help. Granted this happens to me very infrequently, if your struggling to stay motivated, I’d try something else until it find what you enjoy.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I sometimes struggle in my training if I don't have a goal. As others have said, signing up for a race would give you a reason to run (which seems to be lacking at the moment). The other good suggestion made above is to find a running partner or group. Then, you will start to get the social benefits of group running and not want to miss an appointment with your running friend(s).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't run since I left the military in the 90s and no one could force me to run anymore, but I do have experience with boredom during activity that I do enjoy.

I LOVE to swim, but can't make it through a *long* swim without my Sony waterproof MP3 player. If walking/hiking starts to feel stale, I will get new routes, a new playlist, or a new podcast. If that weren't enough I'd download audiobooks for free from my library, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Speaking of the library, my neighbor was saying the other day how she watched "A Quiet Place 2" for "only" $20. I got that for free from my library.
  • JenHol79
    JenHol79 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to love it too. Craved it and now I have to force myself. I always feel better afterwards and glad I did but it's just not the same. Im struggling too. Im basically starting all over from surgery with all exercises.
  • bluefire301175
    bluefire301175 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna leave this here but maybe try something like zombies run app. It will keep your mind occupied on a pseudo goal of sorts while you're staring at the wall/room in front of the treadmill. Also perfect atmosphere for fall.
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I’m feeling this too. A few years back started running and over 2 years built up to running a marathon. Pretty much just stopped at that point, lost fitness, gained weight etc. Just getting back into it now (I’ve managed 10 weeks of 2-3 runs per week) but really not getting the buzz I did. I think it’s that I don’t see the progress or gains I did first time round. I remember the excitement and, frankly, the wonder at being able to just run. Increasing mileage always felt like such an accomplishment that I would come super stoked. Now I get back and it’s all a bit ‘meh’. The trouble is running is so convenient (quick to get out and go in pretty much any weather), adaptable (can do it anywhere), varied (different routes, scenery etc) and cheap (just trainers and clothes). The hassle of other sports puts me off and things like yoga don’t excite me either. Im just going to keep persuading myself that running is great in the hope that one day I’ll believe my own hype 😂
  • ssseattle
    ssseattle Posts: 22 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I get a little extra motivation by keeping an eye on the local lost pet postings (on FB or wherever). I keep an eye out for missing pets in the area where I run. The thought of possibly being able to report a sighting of someone's lost pet helps me get out there.

Not in my budget right this minute, but I feel that new shoes help, too. :smiley:
  • Work_toward_goals
    Work_toward_goals Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Maybe adding in some days of sprints or hill sprints would help. I've gone to tracks and sprinted the straight aways, then walked around to the other straight away or back to the same one to sprint again. Or I'll find a hill and sprint up it, then walk back down and go again. Try for 10 sprints and call it a workout.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Are you running outside or do you have your own treadmill at home? Maybe it's time to step up and find other workouts - zumba, swimming, boxing. Weight training is important as we age, too.
  • andyn1970
    andyn1970 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If the weather is bad enough that I run inside then I use my laptop in front of the treadmill at a comfortable height to see when running.
    There are loads of 4k running vids on YouTube going around cities and out in the sticks, some awesome places I will never get to run in.
    They have the same for biking that I use when on the stationary bike.
    Not as good as outside but for a 30 to 45 min run they can keep my attention well enough.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, if you don't enjoy it don't do it.
    For me, I cant run inside unless I absolutely have to, I run outside in the heat and snow. My mind gets the best of me and I get bored, this year I started listening to podcasts and found them a huge help. I get so wrapped up in a story that the time flies by. Mid summer I decided to sign up for a half marathon after not running much in 15 years, I started with couch25k and then went to the 13.1 trainer from Zenlab, I'm up to running 11 miles on my long runs. I try and vary my routes as much as I can too, add loops or different roads.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I find re-starting after a few months off to be un-rewarding. When you start for the firs time (or first time in a long time), you are making visible progress every week, and it keeps you motivated. Re-starting, we tend to expect too much of ourselves and measure how far we are from our last peak, instead of measuring progress from the past week. I can advise you to re-set your thinking; but honestly, that is harder than it sounds. The enjoyment will probably come back once your fitness is up to where it was before and you feel like you are making "true" progress.