Need Veggie Recipes!!

Options
CorrieJane
CorrieJane Posts: 249 Member
Hi All!
I'm an almost-done-with-college, just starting to be really out and on my own 22 year old who is starting to cook more and more of my meals. I want to eat more veggies, but right now that adds up to making a big salad for dinner more frequently than I used to. I don't mind the salads, but I really want to learn some ways to cook veggies and different things for meals. I am totally open to all-vegetarian ideas, but I do eat meat so side dishes or recipes that have meat are good too!! Also, I'm up for trying new flavors, or spices or anything!!! Hope I can get some great ways to get more veggies in me from the awesome MFP family!!!

Replies

• Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a veggie, check out the link on my signature for some reciepe's.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    my favorite veggie recipe is this:

summer squash (the yellow one that is long, usually by the zucchini)
    zucchini
    onion
    tomato
    green pepper
    potato (optional)

i slice the summer squash and zucchini and just chop everything else into bit size pieces. throw it in a bowl and pour some light italian dressing over the veggies and mix them until coated. add some pepper and maybe a garlic clove.. then wrap it all in foil and throw it on the grill!! now that summer is ending though you could just throw it in an oven on 350 for about 15 minutes. so yummy and very low cal especially if you leave out the potato!
  • skippykip
    skippykip Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ok... hear me out. :) I used to HATE brussel sprouts, but then I tried preparing them with some flavor and they were AMAZING! Here is my recipe:

2 lb bag of brussel sprouts
    3 garlic cloves
    1 shallot
    2 tbsp olive oil
    --
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    1 tbsp paprika
    1 tbsp italian seasoning
    2 tsp lowry salt
    2 tsp pepper

Cut brussel sprouts in half and clean them. Place in gallon sized ziploc bag. Dice garlic and add to ziploc bag. Slice shallots (whatever size you want) and place in ziploc bag. Add all the seasonings inside the bag. Add olive oil to bag. Close the bag, mix everyhting together. Let it marinate in the refrigerator for minimum 30 minutes (I sometimes make this a day in advanced). empty bag onto baking sheet (if you line baling sheet with tin foil, clean up is a breeze). Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. YUM! You have yourself gourmet brussel sprouts!
    P.S.: They say a serving of brussel sprouts is 6 sprouts, so count out 12 pieces... or decide what looks good to you! Enjoy!
  • NicBushong
    NicBushong Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cooked veggies so I've found some that I really like. Here's 2. Let me know if you want more!

MEATLESS MEXICAN LASAGNA
    2 cups frozen corn, thawed
    1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
    1 can (4oz) diced green chilies
    2 tsp cumin
    4 corn tortillas (I used whole what ones)
    1 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
    6 Tbs plain yogurt
    In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Place 2 tortillas in a 11x7x2 baking dish covered with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 the corn mixture, sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat layers. Bake uncoverd at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with yogurt.

SUMMERTIME SPAGHETTI SAUCE
    12 oz Italian sausage (could probably leave out if you want)
    1 Tbs olive oil
    3 medium onions, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    3 cups chopped tomatoes
    1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 Tbs brown sugar
    1 Tbs Italian seasoning
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    Hot cooked pasta (or could be good on rice too)
    Brown the sausage. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in the same skillet. Add onions and green pepper. Cook and stir until tender. Add tomatoes, jalepeno, brown sugar, seasoning, salt and pepper. Return sausage to pan. Cook, stirring occassionally 12-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and sauce is thickened. Serve over pasta or rice.
  • cacraft
    Options
    I get tired of salad's so try to mix things up. There are a lot of veggies I don't like, so it adds to the challenge

But a couple of my favourites are:

1.Bean Salad with black beans, kidney beans, corn, red peppers, red onion. Celery if you like. Make a dressing of 1/2 olive oil 1/2 basalmic vinegar with a sprinkle of oregano and a dash of splenda. Nice on a bed of romaine.

2. Pizza! buy or make a whole wheat crust. Make your own pizza sauce using low sodium products. And load it up with veggies! I sprinkle a little feta on mine instead of smothering it with cheese. I eat a quarter piece with a side - I like chicken wings.

3. Add veggies to a low sodium tomato sauce and have it with some whole wheat pasta.

Good luck!
  • CorrieJane
    CorrieJane Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    BUMP.

omg these all sound really good-thanks you guys!! I will def. be trying them out soon!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat veggies is in an omelette. Easy, delicious, and so good for you!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Veggie-bean chili
    Veggie tacos made with bell pepper&onions (fajita style) with avo, lettuce, tomato and chz
    Veggie wraps

Jamaican Red Bean Stew (can also be made in the slow cooker)
    Saute until soft: 1 Tablespoon olive oil
    2 Cloves Garlic, minced
    2 Cups carrots, chopped
    3 Scallions, chopped
    1 Sweet potato, chopped

Pour in to soup pot or
    slow cooker: Sauteed veggies from above
    1 can diced tomatoes
    2 cans kidney beans
    1 can light coconut milk
    1 Cup veggie broth
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon allspice
    salt and pepper to taste
    In pot, bring to a boil, add lid and turn down heat. Simmer for 1 hour.
    In slow cooker, cook on low for 6-8 hours. AMAZING!!!

Cheesy Garden Casserole (quick and easy)

Make some brown rice
    Steam some mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
    Place 1/2 Cup rice in a deep bowl, add 2 cups steamed veggies.
    Open a jar of marinara and pour 1/2 cup sauce over veggies.
    Top with 1/4 Cup grated low-fat cheese.
    Place ingredients in microwave to melt cheese and warm sauce.

Couscous with mixed veggies (easy)
    Chop and Roast your favorite veggies (350 degrees for 45 mins)
    Prepare couscous
    Mix together veggies and couscous and add tomato paste and Italian seasoning.