studying and exercising

Options
i mentioned this casually before, but i realized that semesters that i work out i get better grades then when i don't work out. i'm in grad school, and only taking one class a semester. in the spring semester this year, i went to class and did well, getting a B. for the summer semester i started to really start working out and counting my calories, and i got an A!! now i was never an A (or even a B) student, but i thought it was great.

i have never really made the corolation between exercising and studying. i think it has to do mostly with time management; when i work out i have less time to study, so i feel more focused. i like to think that an hour on my bike also helps clear my mind. actually, now that i think about it, i used my cycling as a reward to myself. i would say "finish your homework," or "just read this chapter" and when i would be done, i'd get changed and enjoy my ride without any worries about school.

fyi, i have a bachalors in facilities engineering from SUNY Maritime and i'm going for my masters of science in Energy management at New York Institute of Technology.

Replies

• BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    glad to hear someone can go to school and stay fit too. I gave up on fitness when I went to school.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It seems that I heard something about a study on that recently. It might have been in something from my University's campus rec department (to get students using the facilities), but it said that regular exercise increases memory and brain function. Something like that.

And hey, we pay fees for the facilities anyway (at least we do at my school) so might as well make use of them, right? :wink:

fyi ... have a Bachelors in Human Development and Family Studies, emphasis on Early Childhood Education, and completing a 2nd Bachelors this year, this time in Mathematics. Both at University of Utah (go Utes!!)
  • simplyychaos
    Options
    A nice trick I found is doing cycling or elliptical while reading or studying for a course. I just bring in a small book or study guide and easily get both things done in the same hour. That way I don't feel bad for choosing one over the other if I don't have that much time in the day.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I think working out just helps overall self esteem and confidence so it boosts test taking abilities. Study + work out = 4.0 = <3
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing actually. For me, having a full schedule keeps me on track, with little time for procrastination (except when I come on here to log in food. I can't help being distracted by the forums for a minute or two. Like now.). Not only that, I have tons more energy after I work out, and I can concentrate better and longer on whatever I'm doing. I don't have as much time to go to the gym or whatever now, but at the very least I do a bodyrock.tv workout every day. Short, effective, gets you sweating, and you'll be in pain the next day.

Edit: I also noticed that workouts keep me sane. After hundreds of pages of reading and hours of studying and sitting in a chair, I NEEEEEED a workout to get blood flowing again. My body DEMANDS to be worked out.

And small world, BK!
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    A nice trick I found is doing cycling or elliptical while reading or studying for a course. I just bring in a small book or study guide and easily get both things done in the same hour. That way I don't feel bad for choosing one over the other if I don't have that much time in the day.

Lol I tried this once. I got a really bad motion sickness feeling, even though I was on a bike haha.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Lol I tried this once. I got a really bad motion sickness feeling, even though I was on a bike haha.

ditto. would rather just concentrate on one or the other.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Thank god. I looked at the title and I thought this was going to be a "how many calories should I log under "studying" question.

Good luck--keep stirring up those brain cells!!
  • HeyGrlHey
    Options
    So this semester is pretty busy for me, taking 15 credits, officer for two clubs, tutoring, and other misc. meetings. I find that jogging is soooo relaxing and I actually look forward to it! When I jog, sometimes I don't listen to music and I just like to collect my thoughts about everything I need to do so it gets out of my brain and then I just focus on my breathing!

M.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i mentioned this casually before, but i realized that semesters that i work out i get better grades then when i don't work out. i'm in grad school, and only taking one class a semester. in the spring semester this year, i went to class and did well, getting a B. for the summer semester i started to really start working out and counting my calories, and i got an A!! now i was never an A (or even a B) student, but i thought it was great.

i have never really made the corolation between exercising and studying. i think it has to do mostly with time management; when i work out i have less time to study, so i feel more focused. i like to think that an hour on my bike also helps clear my mind. actually, now that i think about it, i used my cycling as a reward to myself. i would say "finish your homework," or "just read this chapter" and when i would be done, i'd get changed and enjoy my ride without any worries about school.

fyi, i have a bachalors in facilities engineering from SUNY Maritime and i'm going for my masters of science in Energy management at New York Institute of Technology.

congrats on the awesome goals!
    thanks for sharing:glasses:
    i think you are exactly correct-a-mundo!
    studies revealed that exercising aids in blood flow to the brain.....:drinker:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Thank god. I looked at the title and I thought this was going to be a "how many calories should I log under "studying" question.

Good luck--keep stirring up those brain cells!!

ha!! everyone knows studying is a HUUUUUGE burn.... not as big a burn as painting, but still...
  • narenn
    Options
    Started working out in school as well. Kept me focus due to, as you said, time management. Definitely a life-style change for me.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I always found I did better in school when I had a busier schedule. I really think it's the time management that helps!
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's true for professors also. I can't seem to find the time for a decent walk in my "busy life" but when I teach, after my office hour...there's the time. A nice 3 mile walk complete with hills, dirt, concrete, scenery, etc. It usually takes about an hour and burns about 300 calories. It's one of the things I'm looking forward to this coming quarter.

--PixarDad

P.S. Counting the calories for studying is directly related to the subject being studied. Just FYI.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I just got fatter with every degree I added to my CV. It's amazing how many peanut M&M's and cheese crackers one can eat while writing a doctoral thesis.... :-D

I think you're right though. I'm definitely at my best, writing-wise, when I'm fitter and eating right. I just feel clearer headed and more focused, I think.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!