Body fat % very high but BMI not obese/overweight

13»

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    AllyLalax wrote: »
    Body fat calculators are utter rubbish, Im 5ft8 and weigh 123lbs. Some body fat calculators said my body fat was 14.5%, another said 19% and one said 31%! Better to go with how you feel personally.

Only online body fat calculators are utter rubbish.

DEXA and hydrostatic are very reliable tests.

DEXA has significant error and repeatability issues, because it, too, is essentially a calculator.

EDIT: Ditto for Bod Pod, which also suffers from large error bars.

Is there any accurate way to measure then? Just curious. I've never had it done because I haven't found a method I really trusted.

Yes when you die you can. Other then that nope all just guesstimates.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Annanna91 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way your body fat is 24%.

That's kind of you to say, but if you saw my body, stomach in particular, you would appreciate why my body fat % is that high. I carry an awful lot of fat around my stomach and hips.

i'm pretty sure that 24% body fat for a woman is considered healthy.

Yes but I'm still kind of sure that there's no way at 5'5" and 114 pounds to have 24% body fat, but she's not saying how she got that number, so... I mean it doesn't matter if you have an 'awful lot of fat' around your stomach, if the rest of your limbs don't have much fat on them (and assuming your picture is recent, it seems to be the case), your total body fat % will still be lower.

yeah, maybe not. this body fat number just sounds impossible to actually get an accurate number for, so I would just forget it entirely. It also doesn't really sound as though it's all that useful.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Body fat calculators are utter rubbish, Im 5ft8 and weigh 123lbs. Some body fat calculators said my body fat was 14.5%, another said 19% and one said 31%! Better to go with how you feel personally.

DEXA has significant error and repeatability issues, because it, too, is essentially a calculator.

Is there any accurate way to measure then? Just curious. I've never had it done because I haven't found a method I really trusted.

Well, then I guess it's not all that important now, is it? Hahaha. Thanks!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Well, then I guess it's not all that important now, is it? Hahaha. Thanks!

Am I still going to use the bod pod? Yup

• i just went to boots and got myself weighed there am 19 5.1 ft and I weigh 8 stone 1
    My body fat says 35.5% which is very high, any on know how i could get that down?
  • Sparklething2325
    Sparklething2325 Posts: 6 Member
    At 5'4 and at 147 lbs my bodyfat was 26.9 % last december. When i made my lifestyle change in 2014 weighing 188 lbs i made an effort to keep my muscle mass by focusing on strength training. I got down to 128 lbs with 24% bodyfat. Since my fat loss ive continued to focus on getting stronger and gaining muscle. So while the scale went up 20 lbs my bodyfat went up less then 3 %. If your still struggling with this problem i suggest you learn about reverse dieting and start to strength train focusing on progressive overload. Putting muscle on and then loosing fat will benifit you at this point.
  • Healthstriver2
    Healthstriver2 Posts: 1 Member
    I recently had a DEXA scan and it showed my body fat percentage as 39%. I am 67 years old, am 5'3" tall, and I weigh 107 pounds at most. Most people say I look skinny. A body fat percentage of 39% is very high and indicates I should be obese, but I'm not!!! My normal weight is 107, and my BMI is 19.2
    How is this explained????
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I recently had a DEXA scan and it showed my body fat percentage as 39%. I am 67 years old, am 5'3" tall, and I weigh 107 pounds at most. Most people say I look skinny. A body fat percentage of 39% is very high and indicates I should be obese, but I'm not!!! My normal weight is 107, and my BMI is 19.2
    How is this explained????

On this thread from someone who also had a perplexing DEXA result several people suggested she review the results with the facility:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10843781/dexa-scans-i-did-two-who-else-has-experience#latest
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    None of those body fat measurements are accurate IMO. Many drastically overestimate body fat %.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Women naturally need more body fat to survive than men. Body fat and BMI are not interchangeable. If you find you have too much body fat, but your weight is where you want, look into recomping. With recomping, you could lose 5 pounds of fat but gain 5 pounds of muscle; your weight stays the same but your composition changes.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    You can easily be fairly slim/light as a woman and have 24% body fat! That is a healthy amount for a woman. Particularly if you don't have much muscle.
  • ROULER3
    ROULER3 Posts: 49 Member
    BMI is a very dated and doesn't really apply to a lot of sports and physicality and ability
  • bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    About the bodpod- it has up to 3% error. That's not nothing, but it isn't bad. What I would do if I were OP (and did myself when I was concentrating on muscle building and fat loss a while ago), is to get a bodpod measurement now to see what it says. It will probably, based on what you've said, say that you're in the "excess fat" area. Don't freak out, just take that as a data point. Then, periodically check it to see what and how it changes. The change itself is probably more important for you to know versus the absolute % there as you can then compare it with other metrics, like your measurements or how your clothes fit or photos.

An example - I was already what I thought was in great shape. I took a bodpod measurement and it said I either was in the excess fat or moderately lean category. I was shocked! I decided to concentrate on increasing my muscle mass for about 6 months. I took another bodpod measurement and I was solidly in the moderately lean to lean category, even though my weight was the same or even a little higher.