Just can't stick to it

Options
I've lost weight many times why now cant I stick with it when I'm at my most embarrassing size

Replies

• MikeRunsDaily2021
    Options
    I find the biggest two things are:
    1. not setting small realistic goals that focus on your actions

2. making changes that your not ok making permanent are the biggest road blocks.

If you don’t do these two things, your weight will come back
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Small, sustainable, changes that build your confidence and belief that you can.

The real problem with the big, huge, sweeping changes that everyone cautions against is you CANNOT stick to those - no one could - it's too much all at once, on an inadequate foundation - and then you start to believe that you can't do it. You set yourself up to fail, inevitably fail (because again impossible for 99.9% of people) and then believe there's something fundamentally wrong with you, making you believe you cannot succeed.

And when you believe you can't you're not really trying.

In all things in life, people with the most success are often people who *have no idea* that they 'shouldn't' be able to do something. Because there's no background anxiety of 'What if I fail again'.

Rebuild your confidence. Start with the easiest thing. Just log your food without restricting. Add 100 steps a week. Get a morning routine going. Give yourself a bed time. Replace ONE junkfood snack a day with fruit. ONE of those. Once you've got that, start with a small calorie deficit or a 'walk a mile every morning or whatever.

Build SLOWLY and add new things only when you're succeeding at the previous one @ 85% or more of the time for a solid 2 weeks. AND CELEBRATE WHAT YOU MAKE HABIT/ROUTINE/CHANGE. EVERY TIME.
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Everyone has pretty much said it... But I'll say it again.
    1) Set realistic Goals. Quit worrying about the end game on your ticker. Set a goal for 2 weeks from now. and make it achievable.
    2) Make changes that you can live with. Don't give up cake and ice cream. It will build resentment and failure. Instead, Cake and ice cream once a month to celebrate and occasion. (Or that month birthdays)
    3) Portions, Portions, Portions. Measure. I get lazy when I reach goal and start saying "ahh one won't hurt. or I know how much that is"
    And here I am back (With a gain of 40 of the 100 I lost.)
    Good Luck! Feel free to friend if you like!
  • ROULER3
    ROULER3 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Take measurements at key areas of your body and don't focus on weight
  • kaos1986
    kaos1986 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    What is your strategy to lose weight?
    Sticking with it is a lot easier when you make it easier for yourself:
    - don't make temporary changes to lose weight, you'll gain the weight back when you go 'back to normal'
    - choose a slower rate of loss, it means you can eat more
    - eat the foods you like and are used to, in smaller quantities - don't eliminate your favorite foods
    - don't do exercise you hate just to burn calories, find exercise you like or at least don't dislike.
    - don't force yourself to do exercise at a frequency that is excessive/doesn't fit into your life easily (exercise is for health and can help increase your calorie allotment, but it isn't necessary for weight loss)
    - if you feel you need to make changes to have a healthier lifestyle long-term (food or exercise/activity) make gradual changes, don't overhaul your life in one go.

Thank you 😊 think I try to do it all at once and want it all yesterday but I know it's not realistic and I can't stick with it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    kaos1986 wrote: »
    I've lost weight many times why now cant I stick with it when I'm at my most embarrassing size
    Think about this logically. If you're at your most embarrassing size, then whatever you did to lose weight didn't help you to keep it off. You need a program that you can do FOR LIFE and not just to lose weight when you think you need to. You'll keep going back to those programs and eventually they'll get harder and harder because of things like age and hormonal shifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    What I do when I can't stay on track, is ask myself; what worked before when I was fit and at my best? And even if I don't feel motivated I copy those behaviors and just keep trying. I don't get tempted to try something new.

So, do what has worked for you, you can't go wrong.