ways to add more fiber

Options
i take the capsules and benefiber powder and from yogurt and frozen dinners i get the fiber. any other suggestions. avocado has like 14g but it makes me sick.

Replies

• Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    those "vitatop" muffin tops in the freezer section have a lot of fiber, for 100 calories. I get the deep chocolate flavor, and it has 9 grams of fiber.
  • sherrykygar
    sherrykygar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A high fiber cereal with skim or lowfat milk, and there are some that taste good too!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle flax seed on my cereal/oatmeal in the morning. You can add it anything really.
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thomas's English Muffin makes a multi-grain lite muffin w/ 1/3 daily fiber w/ 100 calories. Add a fried egg white & you've got a great 117 calorie breakfast or snack.
    Sometimes if I'm under my calories for the day I will split a Tbsp of peanut butter on each half for a total of 190 calories.
  • uchaniece
    Options
    those "vitatop" muffin tops in the freezer section have a lot of fiber, for 100 calories. I get the deep chocolate flavor, and it has 9 grams of fiber.

thats sounds good, thanks
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Flax meal is a great way to get fiber, as well as Omega-3s. You can sprinkle it on or in anything. My mom eats it in her yogurt every morning. I added it to the low carb "breading" I used on chicken last night for dinner.

ETA: Look for whole wheat wraps and tortillas, too. Mission brand low carb whole wheat tortillas and Flat Out flatbread both have 8 grams of fiber and both are under 100 calories.
  • uchaniece
    Options
    I sprinkle flax seed on my cereal/oatmeal in the morning. You can add it anything really.

does it have a taste? and thanks
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

does it have a taste? and thanks

I don't think it does. I have never noticed anything different when I add it to my foods.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I love Skinny Cow low fat ice cream bars, they have 3 grams of fiber! Probably not the best way to get fiber, but for a 100 calorie dessert it probably is the tastiest. :)
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You may be getting more than you think... I have noticed that most of the fruits and veggies on here have no fibre data entered. I just corrected two entries and immediately added 9g of fibre to my day.
  • Christinajoey2000
    Options
    you may want to supplement your yogurt with a piece of fruit (apples and berries are good) and the frozen meals with veggies (baby carrots are easy) or a piece of whole grain bread.
  • acireme
    acireme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Beans, whole grains (like quinoa, oatmeal), any veggies especially leafy greens (lettuces/choys/broccoli), many fruits (apples/bananas) some people mentioned flax seed, chia seeds (salba). I definitely notice the taste of flax seeds in things like oatmeal. I grind them myself and add them 1 TBSP at a time to my smoothies and don't taste them there. If you don't like the taste and you want to add seeds to foods, may I suggest the chia seeds? They have a very bland taste, like nothing. I personally try to stay away from the powders, pills, and processed foods and eating this way, I'm always over my fibre intake. :) Good luck!
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I also use flax seed, it doesn't really have a taste. If you do try it, make sure you grind it a little, leaving it whole won't really do anything for you except maybe irritate your stomach, you'll just pass it whole.
  • uchaniece
    Options
    thanks everyone for u input :wink:
  • AngieJoy81
    AngieJoy81 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Fiber One cereal (the original) is a great way to add 14g of fiber! It's only 60cal for half a cup. If you think it tasted too much like cardboard, try sprinkling it on yorgurt.
    Options
    Sugar-free, fiber enriched strawberry preserves by Polaner. The serving size is 1 tbsp, which has 10 calories and 3 grams of fiber. Nothing can really beat that, in my opinion.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I don't take any suppliments and I am over on my fiber all the time. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit, including a lot of apples and broccoli. And all my grains are whole, like whole wheat bread and brown rice. I also make sure my morning cereal has a lot of fiber. If I ever add fiber specific items like Fiber One bars or Vitatops, then I am way over.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Beans! I add a half cup of kidney or garbanzo beans to my salad when I'm at work and I can fulfill around 10-12 g altogether. Shredded carrots are another good addition. I also echo the english muffins - I like Orowheat Healtfull english muffins for 140 calories, 7 grams of fiber and 7 of protein.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My past two evening snacks have been 1/2 C Fiber One, 1 C unsweetened Almond milk and 1 sweet n low. There's 14g in the cereal, a nice chocolate taste with the milk and the sweetener tops it off!
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    fiber one brownies..hehe....also, black beans and kidney beans....black beans are great on salads and recipes to add more fiber...any type of bean will work