High Protein and Low Carb Vegan Foods

As the topic says.. I am looking for some ideas on good foods that are high protein, low carb and vegan.. I am finding it a struggle..

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    pumpkin seeds are extremely high in protein. most nuts and seeds, but it might not fit your other qualifiers.

also almost all dark, leafy greens are strong sources of proteins.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Kaishi all natural foods may be a resource for you. The cook book Laurel's Kitchen has a lot of great recipes in it (sometimes libraries have this)

What do you want for protein levels vs carb level in grams?
  • tomasart
    tomasart Posts: 306 Member
    I am wondering where You can get that combo of food as well. Man, That food would be a super- weight loss diet. Good luck on it.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Try baking with almond flour, check out elana's pantry blog.

Make protein shakes with soft tofu.

Legumes, beans. Try mediterranean recipes with chickpeas. Check out Kalyn's Kitchen blog for recipes.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    you can look at my diary if youd like. most of the time i get lots of protein and low carbs. im vegan by the way. haha
  • http://www.immuneweb.org/lowcarb/food/protein.html

It has a list. Sorry, it's not all vegan.
  • wow 188lbs lost what ever your doing is working. I drink alotof Soy based protein shakes. Beans are also a good sour ce of protein and have less carbs if you make them fresh. Soak the fresh beans overnight for the best results.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Tofu definately fits the bill as well as soymilk, tempeh to a point, and nuts/seeds. There are also vegan protein powders out there that may work for you as well.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Have you tried lentils? I get some from Trader Joe's. They are Black Beluga Lentils fully cooked. Info below:

Serving Size 4 oz.
    Calories 200
    Fat 1g
    Carb 32g
    Fiber 17g
    Sugar 3g
    Protein 16g

If you search on the www.foodnetwork.com they have a TON of recipes for lentils.
    Hope this helps!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Hemp protein powder (basically, it's ground up hemp seed, either with or without the outer shell). Great to add to smoothies.

Plain, unsweetened soy yogurt (Wildwood is a brand that I use occasionally).

Tempeh is one of my favorites.

Pumpkin seeds.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Kaishi all natural foods may be a resource for you. The cook book Laurel's Kitchen has a lot of great recipes in it (sometimes libraries have this)

I would like not to get more than 15-25 carbs in a meal.. the protein well the more the merrier as taking meat and dairy out it lacks a lot of the time.

These are some awesome ideas.. thank you all!
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member

I would like not to get more than 15-25 carbs in a meal.. the protein well the more the merrier as taking meat and dairy out it lacks a lot of the time.

These are some awesome ideas.. thank you all!

Based on 1/2 a cup.
    Soy bean flour
    Gluten flour (high protein very low carb)
    Black eyed peas
    Lentils
    Lima beans
    Mung beans
    Split peas
    soy beans
    Pinto or calico beans
    Tempeh
    Soy grits
    Soy bean milk, cornell process

Based on a lot of different measurements. Nuts and seeds
    Almonds, Almond butter, brazil nut ( note on brazil nuts, just not too many all the time otherwise they cause gastric upset) Cashew nuts
    Chestnuts
    Coconut (fresh meat)
    Pecans
    Peanut butter, sesame seeds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, walnuts,

Veggies, various serving sizes.
    Avacado, beets, beans (green and others), cabbage, raw carrots, cauliflower, collard greens, eggplant, endive, kale, kohirabi, lambsquarters (veggie not meat), leeks, mushrooms (agaricus - raw),
    new zeland spinach, green peas, fresh pumpkin, sea vegetables (arame), Hikjiki, Spinach, Mung beans, Winter squash, sweet potato baked in skin or broiled in the skin then peeled, turnip.
  • inkatia88
    inkatia88 Posts: 21 Member
    Food wise, that is difficult to find I guess my thought would be:

(Tahini Paste) - Sesame seeds are 25 percent protein and are especially rich in methionine and tryptophan, often lacking in adequate quantities in many plant proteins. Tahini contains 2.9 grams of protein per tablespoon, .9 grams of fiber, and 8.1 grams of total fat. Tahini also contains the B vitamins (see complete nutrient analysis below). That same tablespoon contains 153.6 mg calcium and 3.07 mg iron. Additional minerals include 57.9 mg magnesium and 93.12 mg potassium.

For Protein Plant based shake I take Vega Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer

-26g of Broad Spectrum Protein
    -40% of calories from protein, with all essential amino acids in ideal balance
    -Alkaline forming, 35% raw protein with enzymes intact
    -Protein sourced from hemp, yellow pea, brown rice, flax and chlorella

-17g of Quality Carbohydrates
    -30% of calories from naturally occurring complex carbohydrates; no maltodextrin
    -Naturally low glycemic index and no sugars or sugar derivatives added
    -Carbohydrates sourced from hemp, flax, brown rice and maca

Hope it helps :D