Carbs or calories

Options
Who looks at carbs or total calories? So many people seem to watch their carbs but I feel you could eat so much fat like this, what are y’all’s thoughts?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2021
    Options
    ^that.

I am running Keto currently because it makes it easier for me to stay on track for weight loss, but calories > carbs for fat loss and realistically, carbs can be beneficial for muscle gain or sustaining muscle

In priority order, i monitor calories, protein and then carbs. But don't stress when i overshoot carbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I completely ignore carb levels, focus on getting a certain minimum of protein and fats, plus a minimum number of veggie/fruit servings daily, within my calorie goals on average over time. The only time I pay attention to carbs is when someone asks something on a thread that requires me to know my carb levels in order to answer.

Calories are the thing that directly influences weight management. Macronutrients (protein, fat, carbs) can indirectly influence weight management by affecting body composition, energy level, appetite, or things of that nature. Well-rounded nutrition (macros, micros, beneficial phytochemicals, pre/probiotics, etc.) is important for health, so worth a little attention IMO.

Many people say they don't have to pay attention to a fat minimum, because they get enough fat without paying attention. I'm not that person. 😉 I get plenty of carbs without paying attention, and most of my carb sources are nutritious whole foods so I don't don't care to limit them, since for me eating those carbs doesn't spike appetite.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The only time I pay attention to my carbs is when I'm trying to maximise my intake (60 - 90g per hour) to fuel very long bike rides.

If you are a person who tends to overeat carbs then it makes sense to count/control your carbs AND your calories as it's the calories that determine if you lose, gain or maintain weight.

There are of course people that can ensure a calorie deficit just by limiting carbs as they find protein and fat satiating. That's not me and if it's not you then don't adopt that technique.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    CICO for weight loss. Macros if you're interested in body comp. I know this is oversimplified as there are many factors that can affect CICO, but at the end of the day, losing fat requires an energy deficit...
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of the posters above, and like several, have had similar findings.

A carb-loaded diet I can very easily and quickly overeat (WAY overeat), and the cravings are way worse.

Higher protein, balanced to higher fat, and lower-ish carb is my best mix to maintain where I'm at without really tracking much.

My most successful weight loss has happened on a low carb diet, and that is the only one I have been able to lose like that without feeling like I was starving all the dang time! Issue was, it was also a PITA to plan, prep, and it was fairly expensive. I did not go keto low as I felt I needed some carbs for my workouts and activities, but I did keep it in the low carb range.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matters for weight loss, but I do look at all my macros out of interest. Some find that lower carb makes it easier to stay under their cals.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Calories. I keep an eye on macros though to ensure adequate protein and fat for satiety, and as a runner I watch my carbs for fuelling purposes.
  • cndrn822
    cndrn822 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. But carbs are not the enemy. If losing fat is your focus, you focus on calories and protein. Protein is a satiating macro and carbs fuel your workouts. Personally, I focus on Protein and Calories only. I've been able to body recomp by doing this (but I also lift very heavy).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    When I was an obese woman I started logging food.

That's all I could do at first. Logging food to me was an eye-opening education. The first thing I realized is how much I was eating in general! Nearly three times the amount I needed.

Then I noticed I was living on sweets, breads, crackers, cereal, fruit juice, snacky foods, cheese. Well, that had to change. Then I saw that my protein intake was about half what I needed. Really? I need that much? Then I noticed - fiber? What fiber? lol.

Logging food was a real shocker. No wonder I was so over-weight.

The thing about carbs for me back then was that I was eating almost all carbs. I had to start paying attention to all my macros not just carbs but some carbs I did have to limit. Like bread and wheat products. If I eat a lot of those I'm a lot hungrier than if I eat well-balanced meals with mostly vegetables, some starchy stuff (bread/rice/pasta/potatoes/corn) and sufficient protein and fat.

Just start. Don't try to fix decades worth of bad habits in the first week. Start by just logging your food and studying that FOOD diary and make changes where you can.

Weight loss is about calories, full stop. Good nutrition can make all of it easier. Log the food. Do it every day.

Rome wasn't built in a day and you didn't gain your bad food habits last month, either. One day at a time, just do better.

I had a similar experience. Initially, I found meeting my protein and fiber goals very helpful.

Later, I reduced fat for a medical condition and loved being able to spend the extra calories elsewhere.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I used to pay attention to carbs when I had blood sugar issues. I don't need to anymore. The way I eat has already been established so I don't need to figure out how I feel on different macro levels, so I only look at calories and protein (because it's the hardest macro for me to get). I have zero issues getting enough fat and carbs. When I focus on getting more protein within calories, fat and carbs balance themselves out on their own.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Chd83 wrote: »
    Who looks at carbs or total calories? So many people seem to watch their carbs but I feel you could eat so much fat like this, what are y’all’s thoughts?

Eating fat is not a bad thing, in and of itself. Do you have a medical reason to limit your fat intake?

Think of your financial budget. If you make sure your bills are paid and obligations met: do you feel its acceptable to spend money on entertainment or set aside for vacations or other big spend 'wants'? Food is the same way. Make sure your overall nutritional needs are met. And spend remaining calories however you want. HOW you meet those nutritional needs will vary person to person. Some feel more satiated eating higher fat and lower carb. Some feel better overall eating a balance of fat, carbs, macros. But for weight loss: its the calories that matter.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I watch my calories and carbs because of my diabetes and my fat somewhat because I don't want high cholesterol, it's worked for me so far I'm down 55 lbs.😉
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I track my calories, but care about carbs. I usually only get a few carbs a day.. less than 5 grams, so my diet is around 75% fat, 25% protein.

The thing is, when you cut carbs, and up fat, you tend to lose appetite. I have been eating 2500 calories a day. I'm 5'6" 263 lbs. That is simply what I eat to feel full. After 2 weeks, I am going to cut down to 2100 a day.

The reason is, now I feel full sooner, and at 2500 calories, I am feeling a little more than full. I didn't eat dinner until 10 p.m., because I was still full at 8 p.m., when I normally eat.

I ate a lot more calories when I ate carbs, and rarely felt full, even when my stomach hurt from eating so much.

Fat has 9 calories per gram, instead of 4 for protein, and carbs, but you really don't eat a lot of food on low carb, high fat.. fat satiates, and while I wouldn't say I have to force myself to eat, I just eat at set times.. 7 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 8 p.m.

Fat would add up, but you need to remember that chicken is 680 per POUND. Sirloin steak is 880 calories.. add 5 XL eggs for 450 calories, and you are only at 2,010 calories. I add butter to eggs to drive the calories up, but I am starting to feel it is too much. I might only eat 12 ozs. for a serving of meat each, and keep the eggs. Fish is even lower calorie, so I have to add fat, either butter, or mayo to canned tuna.

Meanwhile, I can eat 5 bean burritos from Taco Bell, which is 1900 calories, with a liter of Pepsi.. another 420 calories.. or 2,320 calories at one meal, and be hungry again in 4 hours.

Think back to some of your cheat meals.. fast food.. how about a Filet-O-Fish, large fries, and a large drink.. about 1200 calories.

Then think of high fat foods, without many carbs.. fried eggs.. eat 4 of them, and you'll be full.. 500-600 calories. An 8 oz. ribeye, cooked in 2 Tbsp. butter. 776 calories. 2 cans of tuna fish, with 3 Tbsp. mayo. 520.

Trust me.. you won't ever eat too much fat.. IF, and this is a BIG " if ".. you severely restrict carbs. If you eat enough carbs to still have cravings, even too many vegetables.. you will eat foods which have carbs and fat, and those are where you find you eat a LOT of fat, along with carbs, and don't get full. Think chocolate glazed doughnuts ( 310 cals each ), pepperoni pizza ( 298 cals a slice )

Simply put, on a very LCHF diet, you will not overeat fat, for more than a day or 2.. sure, people sometimes eat a lb. of bacon on Day 1, but they feel horrible, and stop doing that, or quit. People who eat meat, low-starch veggies, and fats, tend to actually eat less, which is why if they do the diet right, they lose weight.. they eat LESS calories.

So whatever diet you choose, calories matter, but for those eating very low carbs, and ONLY counting carbs, this works, because if you eat 10 grams of carbs, you will usually eat LESS calories than you were.

If they ate a bunch of extra calories from fat, they would GAIN, but this doesn't happen, unless you eat too many carbs.. which is why low carb people tend to be so serious about how many carbs you should be on.. some people might lose just by cutting carbs in half, and cleaning up their diet.. but for most people to lose cravings, the carbs need to be far lower than most people suggest. Levels most people won't do, which is why they don't stick to it.

I tend to think lower is better.. I'm OK with 0.. but I realize most people won't go very low.. so I would say that unless you're under 30 grams a day, total.. count calories instead.. because at 50 grams a day, you might not have any appetite suppression. If you eat 3000 calories, and only have 52 grams of carbs.. you didn't get the benefit of low carb. Technically, it's low in carbs, but why eat so few carbs, if you are still going to overeat? Especially, if you are eating 75% fat. Add cravings, and you might eat 5000 calories some days. At that point, is low carb working? Is counting carbs working? No.. so either do low carb at a level which removes cravings, or just count calories.. which works, if you can stick to it.

Low carb basically is simply a way to get less calories, without being hungry. A lot easier to not overeat, if you aren't hungry, right? Obviously, eating healthier food has benefit too.. but ALL the benefits only happen, if you are eating less calories, and following the plan.

I don't eat a higher carb diet, because I can't follow it.. I binge eat.. but it works if you do it right, so the problem is mine. I found what works for me.. to keep me ON PLAN.. and if that is low carb, then do low carb, if you can.. but if not.. you are left with calories to count.. and make that work.

Either way will work.. good luck figuring out what works for you.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I track calories and don't really pay too much attention to carbs.

Having said that, I may readjust this winter. I had a discussion with my doctor the other day, and her suggestion to me was to focus on rotating in more of the lower carb veggies into my diet in place of the wonderfully delicious starchy foods I'm so fond of. The reason wasn't that potatoes, rice, bread, etc....are "bad" (they aren't), but because lower carb veggies tend to be lower calorie as well, so it may help me with satiation if I can eat lower calorie stuff in larger quantities. I am a bulk/volume eater, so this makes sense to me. Not giving up my starches completely, of course, just dialing them back a bit to get more variety in my diet.

(I love that my doctor understands that calories are king, and she doesn't promote nonsense.)
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    AKTipsyCat wrote: »
    I look at both? Fat isn't quite the demon we've been led to believe and neither are carbs if you're eating the right ones. Ultimately it's all calories in / calories out - but the macros that make up those calories can set me up for success or failure, because if I go heavier on protein and fats, I'm not hungry and can control my cravings... while if it's all carbs, I can't.

This for me too.
    I count calories - on weekdays I'm low carb ish
    I don't cut back on veggies and have berries most days but try to stay away from refined / starchy carbs as they just make me hungry and pack a lot of calories in a small portion.
    I don't do low fat either - I have full fat dairy and eat healthy fats like olive oil, avocado etc along with protien to keep me satiated.
    I eat them all within ( ish) my calorie goal for the day.