What are some most satifying, low calorie snacks?

Options
I find that a lot of low calorie snacks give you a tiny portion of pressed material that doesn't really satisfy. I think that having something with a lot of air inside could trick ourselves into thinking that we ate a lot, but we really haven't. Why aren't there more of low calorie snacks that are puffed? It's just a thought I had. I do tend to eat when I get bored and if I chewed and swallowed more air than actual calories, I think it would help. Anyone know of a satisfying, low calorie snack?

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    A piece of fruit like a banana or apple is heavy on stomach.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    At least at first, one of the things I was craving was salt - so pickle spears have been an immense help with snack cravings. Careful not to overdue the salt intake though.
  • phyletik
    phyletik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    cliff bars, beef jerky, apples, nature valley bars, nuts, seeds, and dry fruit
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    A couple of corn thins with about 40g of low-fat cottage cheese, flavoured with chives - I find it helps with carb cravings and it's less than 100 calories.

I've also been known to use plain cottage cheese with a teaspoon of brown sugar and a small handful of sultanas - not so low in calories but serves as dessert.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Well. Jello chocolate mousse is amazing. 60 calories per container.

But mousse is full of air

:tongue:
  • ilyahna
    ilyahna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried rice crisps? They make the traditional big, round ones and they make bags of smaller ones that range in flavors from berries and chocolate to ranch and cheddar. They're all low-fat, low-cal, though some have more sodium than others. The cool thing about them is that one bag of the small ones equates to about 2 servings, for around 150 calories per serving, which means you can sit there and eat half the bag and not feel too badly about it. :)

Also... do you hate celery? It's a workout just to eat it. You can find something to dip it in, which, in moderation, serves as a better snack than cookies or what have you.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What about those rice chips (not cakes, but little chips) with a little guacamole, hummus, or salsa? I like Mediterranean Co. baked lentil chips w/ sea salt. I think it's 110 cal for 22 chips, and less for the rice chips I believe.
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My current go-to is string cheese and 10 almonds. Lots of satisfying protein.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You know what else is filling - a frozen berry smoothie. Add 1/2 a banana and some chia seed and you are good to go.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I slather a rice cake with hummus and then top it wih either sprouts, arugula, or cucumber slices!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I got hooked on these: Special K cracker crisps in Sour cream and onion flavor. 27 crisps (about the size a regular potato chip) is only 90 calories.
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    Skinny cow Ice cream bar with a banana or Yoplait fat free red Velvet cake Yogurt!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I find that I get the most satisfaction out of string cheese, almonds, bananas, apples and celery sticks with cilantro jalapeno hummus! Not all together, of course. :tongue:
  • Jhookism
    Options
    Rice cakes (35 cals) + Peanut Butter (190 cals) = YUMMY
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    try and avoid processed foods as much as possible. Go for fruit or veggies fresh. Add hummus or peanut butter to the mix if you want dipping options.
  • wendywright10
    Options
    Popcorn! Just regular popcorn. No butter. Put some Old Bay on it, and you'll be good to go!
  • jhoney8
    jhoney8 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    String cheese, popcorn, mini rice cakes, pickles, carrots, strawberries, frozen yogurt
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Alpen light Cereal bars... less then 70 calories and really nice!

Fruits and veg too, carrots, oranges, bananas, apples, peaches, etc
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    Rice cakes (35 cals) + Peanut Butter (190 cals) = YUMMY

How about rice cakes and almond butter! That's yummy too!
  • eh613c
    eh613c Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow lite swiss cheese and apple
    Lite string cheese and a few nuts (almonds)
    1 Tbspn of peanut butter and apple or banana
    Greek yogurt
    Fiber One bars