Auto Insurance

Options
glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
Ok, so I had a little accident at the beginning of the year, my policy is up in 3 weeks, and the rates more than doubled. They want $1,588 every 6 months now.

Who are you with? Do you like them? Any coverage one doesn't REALLY need in said auto policy?

Progressive's out. The quote is too close to what I'm on the verge of paying now. State Farm will most likely be a couple hundred less when I get done editing the coverage choices...

And....go!

:)

(Also, thanks in advance.)

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Have Geico for years... No major accident. couple minor bumper to bumper stuff..
  • goldenxbeauty
    goldenxbeauty Posts: 154 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I've been with cooperators for years. I have a 2018 prius hatchback with full coverage and hubby has a 2008 VW Jetta with liability. We pay $151/month. I have one at fault collision from 3 years ago. No tickets.

Including my house insurance it's only $231/month and that's with an increased home premium due to a woodstove being our main heat source. They've always been great to me.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I've had Metlife for years. They just sold out to Farmers so we'll see how that goes. We've had 2 accidents that were not our fault and no tickets and the rates haven't gone up for a long time.

I have a 2019 Focus and was going to drop the collision insurance and comprehensive insurance since the car is only worth about $2k but those two only came out to about $5 a month so I kept it. I have never gotten the glass coverage since the replacement is usually cheaper than the deductible.
  • glassyo
    Options
    @raininwa Same thing. I'm with 21st Century now owned by Farmers. The accident was 100% my fault (plus the other person is suing some doctor so I didn't want to end up like him) so didn't fight any of it.

@goldenxbeauty I've never even heard of cooperators. A quick google search shows Canada?

@lx1x I did the quote thingy on the geico site (always did like those stupid commercials :)) and it ended up being $150ish less.

I'm pretty (eyeing another thread) IRKED it went up so much considering I've been with them for almost 40 years. They have way more of my money than they shelled out for this one accident.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    @raininwa Same thing. I'm with 21st Century now owned by Farmers. The accident was 100% my fault (plus the other person is suing some doctor so I didn't want to end up like him) so didn't fight any of it.

@goldenxbeauty I've never even heard of cooperators. A quick google search shows Canada?

@lx1x I did the quote thingy on the geico site (always did like those stupid commercials :)) and it ended up being $150ish less.

I'm pretty (eyeing another thread) IRKED it went up so much considering I've been with them for almost 40 years. They have way more of my money than they shelled out for this one accident.

Was the car totalled ?

I'm pretty sure if youre at fault and don't have clean record... insurance will be at high end. Will be years of clean records and no claims when you see the price drops again.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

Who are you with? Do you like them? Any coverage one doesn't REALLY need in said auto policy?

I'm with Unifund because years ago I got into a special group by virtue of membership in a provincial association, and the rates were advantageous. I think they're now with Intact, however.

No I don't like them. I'll be watching this thread with interest because I'm going to dump them once my current claim is all processed.

Everything was fine when I had a local broker, then they all moved to the east coast. Their emails don't come through to me for some unknown reason (they blame my email system of course). There's an online portal where I always get an error message that it's not accessible to me and I need to call a customer service rep. That's a 40 minute wait in a phone queue. They refuse to fax anything and insist on using email so I never actually receive messages or documents that I'm supposed to have. "We've sent it by email so you should get it... is there anything else I can help you with?" Except by some weird quirk I do get spam type emails from them telling me there are messages waiting on the portal... yeah, the one I can't access.

I got side-swiped back in early August and the claim has been an absolute nightmare. My truck isn't fixed yet.
  • glassyo
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »

Was the car totalled ?

I'm pretty sure if youre at fault and don't have clean record... insurance will be at high end. Will be years of clean records and no claims when you see the price drops again.

My record was fine. Last accident was 9 years ago and I wasn't at fault. Part of the amount is because I lost my good driver discount...

My car had a bit of a dent and I'm not sure about the other car...only that it cost $6,000 to fix. I REALLY wish there had a been a way to do this without the insurance company but that's on me for being completely stupid about what happened.
  • goldenxbeauty
    goldenxbeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Yes, Canada. Pretty sure you can still be insured by then though. My brother lives in the Atlantic provinces and uses an American insurance company because it was cheaper than his local ones.