Always talking about weight.

Options
Does anyone else have the issue of always thinking about or talking about their weight? I don't know if it's just a body image issue. The thing is, I know I talk about it too much to my friends and my boyfriend and it worries them. I get it. And I always hear the same answer: you worry about it too much, you're still really small, you don't need to lose weight.

That's neither here nor there, the 15 lbs I'm aiming to lose bothers ME, to a point where I feel like I do need to lose it. So no one elses opinion should matter, but yet I still talk about it.

Has anyone overcome this, been able to stop bringing it up in conversations, or at least been satisfied with the fact that they are trying really hard?

Replies

• Dskwon
    Options
    Yeah, I used to do it a lot. Lost 20lbs and now I'm bored of talking about it and everyone is bored of hearing about it.

I was a boring chap in the earlier days.

Edit: Boring, but handsome.
  • smackadoodle
    smackadoodle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I stopped talking about it when a male friend I've known for years said very calmly, Why are you eating too much?
    I joined this program and stepped up my exercise a little. Now I am doing not complaining.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    People who are not into it don't want to talk about it. Find some people who are into it and talk to THEM about it. :tongue:
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have this problem. I realize I need to stfu once I get one word responses hahaha :laugh:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    in a way, its a good thing. it keeps it on your mind, and keeps the goal in sight. plus, telling ppl that you want to lose weight is a great way to get others to keep motivating you.

they were doing a dunkin donuts run here at work last week, and i asked for a large pumpkin spice coffee with a crossiant sausege egg and cheese when they guy went "aren't you on a diet?" and i remember that i am, and that i already had breakfast, so i changed my order to a reular light latte.
  • lunchgirlie
    lunchgirlie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For me it's more talking about my diet and exercise. I obsess about it. My boyfriend gets so tired of hearing me yammer on about it. I'm working hard, but like engineman said, it's best to keep it on your mind so you don't slip too much. I just wish I had a real life friend who wanted to talk to me about my diet!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I am totally obssessed with my new lifestyle. However, my friends and family who are overweight would be offended if i talked about it all the time. I zip my lips in order to spare their feelings. Weight issues are really sensitive for many people. It's best not to discuss it with people. Yak as much as you like on this website, or other websites like this one. Just my opinion. I'm a people pleaser.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    that's actually why i joined this site, cos i couldn't get myself to shut up about my diet. now i get most of it out here :)
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I talk about it because I am passionate about being fit and healthy, not because of a number on the scale. I love working out and we talk about what we love, however my friends have suggested that I am "annoying" because they dont feel the same. I talk about it to those I can without being judged and keep the rest to myself unless I am asked. Just gives me more motivation to get really, really HOT! :-)
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I have a friend I talk about it with- or rather we've agreed that it's okay for me to talk about it if he can just pretend to listen. It works for me. :)
  • shiroosh111
    Options
    Its normal to always think about it but talking about it is something else. You should feel free to talk about it with others that share your interest or want to talk about themselves but others just dont want to hear it. I also feel you should never say it to your partner either. To him you are perfect, no need to point things out. I have been married almost 11 years and even tho I stare endlessly in the mirror at all the "baby fat" each of my 3 kids left behind in the delivery, the second I walk out the bathroom door I am perfect and beautiful :)
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have to stop myself from talking about it lol.
  • teponey
    teponey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to do it a lot & am sure if bored people stupid. But Ive joined a couple of online weightloss groups & I chat away about it on there & dont really mention it anymore to my friends or family. Gets it out of my system & Ive got supportive people to talk to & I can support them back. Ive also found people are either supportive or sabotage if you tell them you are watching your weight so I wanted to keep my mouth shut about it & watch theirs drop open if they caught up with me & I had lost a bit of weight!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    that's actually why i joined this site, cos i couldn't get myself to shut up about my diet. now i get most of it out here :)
  • finchase
    Options
    I know how you feel. My sister told me the other day that I was "quite full of myself", apparently because I talk so much about diet and my exercise program. Fortunately, I have a couple of friends who encourage me to talk about it, so that helps.
  • I think when trying to loose weight its normal to think about it alot and talk about it. I notice that I tend to talk more about loosing weight or my problems with my weight when I have "cheat days" or havn't been sticking to my excersize routine. I started writing my thoughts down though because Im sure my family and friends get sick of hearing me all the time! But I guess thats what they are there for so they are stuck hearing it every once in a while :)
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I talk about weight loss all the time too :-) My boyfriend also is sick of hearing about calories and deficits and surpluses and how much exercise I need to do to break even but as has been mentioned, by talking I keep it in the fore of my mind, it's a big deal to me and something I want to succeed with.

Trying to give the boyfriend a break is one reason why I hang out on this forum :-)
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I try not to talk about my weight but if weight comes up and I mentioned wanting to be a bit smaller people always say I'm the perfect size I'm not too big but when you actually take into account my height, I am a little bit hefty/big for my height...
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that many people compliment me and want to know my "secret", yet when I tell them its calorie controlled eating and exercise they shut down.

Or that no-one wanted to tell me I was fat before, but now they want to talk about my weight loss!

I guess I do talk about it too much, but I hope people will stop me if I ramble!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I do not talk about my diet or exercising that much but I noticed that, recently, a lot of the conversations at work end up on the topic of being healthy/being fit!