how accurate is MFP

Options
At the end of every day when you close out your diary, how accurate is the estimated weight based on the same daily numbers.

Let me explain incase I did not make sense. When you submit your daily exercise and foood diary it says you should weight "X" amount by "X" day if you eat the same things and do the same exercise. Anyone know how accurate ths actually is? Has anyone actually hit around that estimated mark?

Replies

• sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yep!
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I ignore it. It is calculating based on if you eat and exercise the same everyday and the stars align for the next five weeks. :tongue: Just never proved true for me and it fluctuates the other direction when you go over calories.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself, looked back at my diary exactly 5 weeks ago to see how much it said I would weigh...and it was exactly right!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I would expect it to be reasonably accurate...if every day were the same for diet and exercise. Since every day is not the same (and frankly should not be the same if you're exercising efficiently, mixing cardio and strength, resting, etc.) I've never paid it any heed.
  • megskin15
    Options
    I don't take it seriously- but it is a nice little pick me up if I'm under my calories for the day- just a little something that says you're on the right track. I've never had it work out- but I don't always eat the same or work out consistently...
  • aceofspudz
    Options
    I don't think the intent of the 'if every day were like today' reminder is predictive. I think it is helpful, though, in that it reminds us that our long term is only the culmination of a series of short terms.
  • merceah
    Options
    I agree that no two days are the same, I just thought it was an interesting part of this site, and wondered how many people actually have seen close results by sticking close to their daily routines. Thanks for the responses. :)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I always lost more than it said. MFPs numbers just don't fit me at all :laugh:
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    also it says about not going under 1200 net (because you go into starvation mode and won't lose weight) yet still predicts a good loss in 5 weeks time!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    The point is based off if your Daily Calories Burned stays consitant with what the app believes you are burning vs how many calories you ingested, where you will be. Its not an exact predicion, but it shows if you are headed in the right direction. The problem is there is so many factors besides height, weight and age, such as genetics, ethnicity, medication, history, lifestyle, sleep, etc. Its a good estimate, and as long as you are at or below your goal, you will lose weight.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The only real way to know is to note the numbers, and then go to the date 5 weeks away and type in your food diary notes the numbers. On that day weigh yourself and see.

It has worked for me, more because it was a goal!