Dieting and Depression - Feeling low

Options
Hi everyone,

Since I have been dieting around 3 months ago I cant seem to shake off feeling low and isolated. I have suffered from depression before (a really bad spell of depression a few years ago) but have since come off medication and been relatively normal until now.

The odd thing is that I am exercising loads, eating as 'well' as I can and not drinking that much. So technically I should be well??

Should I try and eat more foods that help with depression, or should I increase my calorie intake (im on 1200). Has anyone else experienced the same thing and can advise?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• stella77
    Options
    Try Elizabeth Sommer Food and Mood books! They have helped me immensly, Granted, I have never been on medication, but at one point I thought I would have to and I think her advice on good mood food pulled me through!
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    do you meet therapist? I can tell you the best thing for me is to write everything I eat. also some edications make the body keeping water, so drink more, I don't think eating less is better, since you can lose muscle tissue.
    do you eat healthy food? do you have a menu or you just eat up to 1200 cal?
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    I would recommend that you go see your doctor.It's good to recognize that you do feel low. Sometimes you may need to be on a low dose of meds to keep you balanced. The other thing that I could suggest is to write a journal on a daily basis as to how you feel, what is upsetting you, what makes you happy and generally how you are feeling. This may help to pinpoint your triggers. Hope this helps. Keep you chin up, you will get through this.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    One question I would ask is, when did the depression start this time? If it has been in the last couple of weeks, do you often start to feel depressed at this time of year? I suffer from SAD and it usually starts with mild depression at the beginning of September. The main things to help are eating lots of fresh fruits and veg, make sure you get enough healthy fat and vitamins/minerals and get plenty of fresh air and exercise. You are already doing the exercise but getting outside every morning can really help.

If that fails and you definitely notice a pattern in the time of year you get depressed, it might be worth looking at using a light box. I find it really helps. You can hire them by the month if you just want to see if it helps.

If your diet is good and you are getting all the vitamins/minerals you need then it is unlikely to be the diet itself that is causing the depression. If you continue to feel low or it gets worse, please go and see your doctor and try and talk to a friend because that can really help, even if you don't really know what to say.

I really hope you are feeling better soon. If you need friends on MFP for help and support please feel free to add me and I will do my best to be supportive. :flowerforyou:
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'm the opposite right now. Since I started being healthy, I have felt great generally. I still have low days from time to time but they are less frequent and shorter. I would suggest talking to your doctor. Maybe you came off your meds too soon and you need to go back on them but at a lower dose. It may just be that you are depressed. As daft as that sounds, you know it is unpredictable and inconvenient, maybe it has just picked now to rear it's ugly head. Go see your doctor. That's the best advice I can give. Hope things improve. Add me if you like to get support from a fellow sufferer. xxx
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Dieting can cause depression if your fat consumption is too low. I don't know if this is the case for you, but if you are on a low fat, high carb diet, try inverting it. You may feel better.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I think this is pretty normal when dieting. When you diet, a lot of what, one would call 'good' hormones lower and the 'bad' ones become elevated. The good ones produce the feelings of euphuria and this often comes after eating a big meal. The problem with dieting for most people.............you go for a long time at a caloric deficit and your hormones are a mess.

What I have found that works really well for me....................... I save almost all my daily calories for a big meal at night. I even have ice cream every night with my meal. Also, one day a week I spike my calories eating loads of foods I have been craving all week. This day I shoot for around 2x my BMR or a bit more. Not only do I get the food euphuria effect, I also boost my fat burning 'well being' hormones and lower my fat storing 'depression' hormones.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    Hi Carolyn,
    My low mood started around the beginning of the summer (June). I can feel myself cutting myself away from friends and social activities and feel numb.

The exercise and diet gives me something to focus on and I am exercising everyday and eating as well as I can... but not looking forward to the long dark days of winter.

Thanks for you response and advice :)
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I found when i first started my dieting i lowered my calorie intake and ate healthy food.
    But i got Really deressed and angry at the world.
    So i switched, instead of only allowing myself to eat healthy, i could whatever i wanted as long as i was within my calorie goal.
    And it seems having a higher carb diet, perked me right back up.
    It might be exactly what you need!
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone to speak to your doctor and see what they say regarding medication, how you are dealing with your weight loss and is it related to the way you are feeling, maybe even suggest speaking to someone professional to see where your this is coming from. I used to suffer from anxiety bad (under control now and non-weight loss related) and my work referred me to counselling 4 years ago, which helped a lot. With my weight loss I say 3/4 of the time I am feeling generally quite positive and full of life, but we all suffer from down days as well. Remember you will have a lot of support on here too as well as your own family and friends. It is good that you recognise you are not feeling quite yourself, don't be afraid to ask for help.
  • rivasjm384pp
    Options
    Really need to work on Vitamins .. B and D.. help with Depression Significantly ... get out in the sun more too..
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Hi Carolyn,
    My low mood started around the beginning of the summer (June). I can feel myself cutting myself away from friends and social activities and feel numb.

The exercise and diet gives me something to focus on and I am exercising everyday and eating as well as I can... but not looking forward to the long dark days of winter.

Thanks for you response and advice :)

To be honest, I find exercise helps me get through the dark days.

My guess is that this is largely not linked to diet. However, if you're feeling deprived (1200 is pretty low, especially if you're exercising), up your food intake and see how you go. Try eating antioxidant rich food - stuff that's zingy and fresh, and as much raw stuff as you can tolerate. A salad every day, with lots of colourful veg seems to help me fight off the low spells. Check your protein levels - I tend to get down if I'm not getting enough protein. Try adding in things like nuts and seeds to boost that.

Also, try foods that have a bit of staying power, like oats in the morning, which keep your sugar levels stable, so you don't get peaks and troughs of energy. if you're getting an energy dip (I often get them late afternoon) you may find this is dragging your mood down, and you're having to kind of double lift yourself to get out of the trough.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    I have managed to cut out pretty much all 'bad' foods, apart from the odd bag of low fat/ calorie crisps, maybe I should introduce some stuff like dark chocolate and brazil nuts to give me a boost, thanks for your advice x
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Agree on the fats - also when I wasn't well and saw a shrink a few years ago he said there is a lot of work being written about Omega's and brain function and he thoroughly recommended a supplement as hard to get enough of all 3 unless you eat a lot of seeds etc as part of an everyday diet. If your fat is low, that may help you also? Additionally, St Johns Wort is excellent if you need a little extra help - but check with a pharmacist/Dr as they can block the absorption of other meds such as the contraceptive pill. Good luck - I have felt the feeling years ago where I was plodding along on the treadmill feeling worse and worse - but keep going, it does lift.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I think this is pretty normal when dieting. When you diet, a lot of what, one would call 'good' hormones lower and the 'bad' ones become elevated. The good ones produce the feelings of euphuria and this often comes after eating a big meal. The problem with dieting for most people.............you go for a long time at a caloric deficit and your hormones are a mess.

What I have found that works really well for me....................... I save almost all my daily calories for a big meal at night. I even have ice cream every night with my meal. Also, one day a week I spike my calories eating loads of foods I have been craving all week. This day I shoot for around 2x my BMR or a bit more. Not only do I get the food euphuria effect, I also boost my fat burning 'well being' hormones and lower my fat storing 'depression' hormones.

I also save the majority of my calories for an evening meal, it works well for me.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    I would recommend that you go see your doctor.It's good to recognize that you do feel low. Sometimes you may need to be on a low dose of meds to keep you balanced. The other thing that I could suggest is to write a journal on a daily basis as to how you feel, what is upsetting you, what makes you happy and generally how you are feeling. This may help to pinpoint your triggers. Hope this helps. Keep you chin up, you will get through this.

thank you, if it gets worse I will see the doctor. I guess if I have to go back on med's then its better than being ill again
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    eating as 'well' as I can

Without knowing what you eat - you might want to try to stay away from processed foods. I do SO much better when I am staying away from 100 calorie pack-frozen pizza-pretzels-oreo-chinese food type food (even if I am able to eat those foods in my calorie range). I try to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup, MSG and Trans Fats.

The more veggies and the more I can cook my own meals (i do occassionally have to rely on some Lean Cuisines and such) the better I feel. And exercise has been HUGE for my moods, too. What do you do for exercise? I would suggest getting involved in something. If you like walk/jogging/running - sign up for a 5k. Bike riding? Find a race. Volleyball? Join a local evening club. Zumba? Any other classes you could get out and be with people. Something to get you out and to have something to focus on.

I have also been taking an over the counter amino acid supplement called SAMe. It has helped me a lot. Once I adjusted, there were no side affects (affected my digestive system a little at first).
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Living with a calorie deficit for an extended time, can cause depression. Also, constant excersize will eventually do the same.
  • cookc04
    Options
    Go to your doctor - get them to check you Vitamin D and vitamin B levels, your thyroid activity, and tell them how you feel and ask them what else could help.
    Are you getting enough sleep?
    I generally find exercise works for me - when I get down.

Do counselling before you do antidepressants - I do think that there is a place for antidepressants but it's best if you don't have to take them.
  • mo1700
    mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

You've had some really good advice on here, the other thing I would say is that cutting yourself off from your friends and social activities are only going to make you feel worse. I know how tough it is but you really need to challenge yourself to keep in touch with your friends and if there is anyone you can trust also maybe confide in them how you are feeling and rally some support. You need to continue social activiites and anything else you feel like avoiding and to continue with all the things you used to do before feeling down, even if you are feeling numb think not only about pleasure but also about achievements. Do you have any friends that you can exercise with, walking, swimming, anything that helps. Also can you think back to when you were down before, what helped then, have you stopped anything that helped before?

Last of all, don't let it get hold of you, as others have suggested please go and see your doctor and get some help now.

If you want anyone to let steam off to feel free to add me as a friend and I will do my best to help and support you in any way I can.