FYI: Blood pressure watches

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/9/16/22677381/smartwatch-blood-pressure-samsung-fitbit-apple

I saw an article today about how Samsung, Apple, and Fitbit are working to put blood pressure measurements into their watches, but the tech isn't there yet.

I was looking on Amazon for a cheap smart watch and many claim to measure BP. I'm glad to have seen this and hope it's of use to someone else. 🙂

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,281 Member
    I can recommend the Xiaomi Mi 6 for a cheap smart watch that is a good fitness tracker for someone who is beginning to think about getting into the fitness habit.

It’s a lot of bang for the buck. And convinced my daughter in law that she really really wanted to get more into fitness. When she lost it she chose a really nice Garmin. And is noticeably slimmer now, six months later.
    (the band of the Xiaomi is cheap - I did not know when I gave her the gift)
  • MargaretYakoda
    I had hoped the Apple Watch 7 was going to have a non-invasive CGM. But, like a wrist worn blood pressure device, the tech is not there yet.
    Darn it.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    edited September 2021
    Recently got an inexpensive Blackview wrist tracker as a toe in the water, finding it useful and accurate for some things, not others. BP seems way off, especially (low) diastolic. I plan to wear it to a medical appointment for a same-time comparison - frankly I think all these quasi-medical trackers ought to be certified by an independent lab rather than "trusting" manufacturer's claims - I haven't seen any product review or service comparing them for basic accuracy. (Same applies to SP02 readings on the devices, that have become important early-warning detectors for serious, versus ho hum, COVID-19 cases.) So far, nothing about these watches would motivate sacrificing the price of a bottle of good Scotch.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    can't imagine how any watch would yield accurate & reliable BP readings.

i've using my Omron cuff BP device 2x's daiiy for the past 2 wks 2 monitor any chg in my BP due 2 some newly prescribed medication. The results can be highly variable even w/the cuff and I don't see how you could measure BP accurately and reliably w/o using one.

So, IMO, beyond telling time and timing laps/splits, a "fitness" watch is only useful for measuring your HR, all of wc anyone can do w/a plain old watch w/a stopwatch function w/just a little more effort.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/9/16/22677381/smartwatch-blood-pressure-samsung-fitbit-apple

I saw an article today about how Samsung, Apple, and Fitbit are working to put blood pressure measurements into their watches, but the tech isn't there yet.

I was looking on Amazon for a cheap smart watch and many claim to measure BP. I'm glad to have seen this and hope it's of use to someone else. 🙂

Good to know.

I use a cuff too and it's kind of a pain because I have to unplug something else to plug it in every time. Life would be soooo much easier if my Fitbit could monitor it.

I'm really hoping that Fitbit starts building in fall detection by the time I get close to that age though.
  • MargaretYakoda
    ythannah wrote: »

Good to know.

I use a cuff too and it's kind of a pain because I have to unplug something else to plug it in every time. Life would be soooo much easier if my Fitbit could monitor it.

I'm really hoping that Fitbit starts building in fall detection by the time I get close to that age though.

Fall detection is why I bought the Apple Watch.
    Haven’t had to use it. Yet. Knock on wood.