I really could use some advice

Options
If your advice is going to be snarky then keep it to yourself please. I have had my fill of snark but I truly need advice.

I can't seem to get enough fiber from fruit and veges alone (2 cup of salad a day, a cup or more of broccoli or cauliflower or some kind of squash, a cup of red grapes, a peach, a plum, a banana DAILY! My fiber count is around 12 grams a day?? Really??)

I want to add whole grains to my diet but I am trying to keep my carb count low. How the heck can I do this?

Replies

• mourvedre
    mourvedre Posts: 107 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Maybe add a few more non-grain, fiber-rich foods to your diet, and/or start taking a fiber supplement (like psyllium powder)?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I don't count carbs is because I think fiber is super important and it is challenging to get the recommended amount of fiber if you're limiting carbs. I'm sure it's not impossible, but I wouldn't be able to. The days I do well on fiber usually include lots of beans and whole grains.

Sometimes you need to double check if the your goals and priorities match up. Are you sure your carb goal is contributing to where you want to get to? If it is, are there other places in your diet you can reduce carbs to make room?

You could consider a fiber supplement to help get a few more grams in while you're figuring it out. There are a number of psyllium supplements out there.

Also keep in mind some produce is more fiber-ey than others. I know fruit wise, pears and berries are on the higher side, but I'm not sure if it's enough to make a big difference.

Maybe some low carbers will come along with some ideas as well. Good luck!
  • Whydahdad71
    Whydahdad71 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I take a chewable fiber supplement every day.
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do not watch my fiber intake. Should I? I previously used the defaults they provide but just switched over to show fiber instead of sodium just to see how I'm doing.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Hmm . . . that sounds a bit off to me. Maybe you're using MFP user entries that don't quite count up all the fiber correctly?

I got a total of 21 grams when I experimentally added the following from your list using the imported USDA entries for all of the choices:
    2 c lettuce usda (I don't know what you consider a 2 cup "salad" so I just entered lettuce)
    85 g broccoli usda
    1 c grapes usda
    1 average peach usda
    1 average plum usda
    1 medium banana usda

Since I don't know what you consider a "salad", below is my typical lunch salad that, by itself has 21 g of fiber:
    * 250 g napa cabbage
    * 125 g tomato
    * 100 g cucumber
    * 28 g hummus or beans for protein
    * 100 g shredded carrots
    * apple vinegar or basalmic vinegar (or pickle juice!)

• booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you have selected poorly entered foods in the MFP database. Check the fiber in the entries you've selected against the USDA database values as you may be getting more fiber than you think.

I am diabetic and do not go overboard on my carbs, but do select those with plenty of fiber. I love beans and legumes and make sure to have 1/3 to 2/3 cups a day in soups or just as they are (chickpeas rinsed from the can or boiled from dry are actually a treat for me.) This is the weekend -- instead of beans with my dinner I will have air popped popcorn as it is a whole grain. I only started the popcorn once I hit my goal weight, but could have built it in earlier with planning.

Also, I have oatmeal with spices and cocoa every morning. I have a red cabbage based salad with dinner as a head of cabbage lasts longer than lettuce in the fridge, and has more fiber.
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a good source of fibre. I add a couple of tablespoons of chia seeds to milk and let them soak in the fridge overnight.

Chia pudding (as it's also reffered to) has the consistency of semolina/tapioca. You can add fruit or Yogurt to make it like a 'pudding', but I also like to add a teaspoon or two of chocolate/strawberry milk powder. Tastes lovely.
  • booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes to the chia. I take 1 tablespoon of chia, one tablespoon of cocoa power (not dutch process--personal pref), and a packet of sweetener. My favorite desert!