Chronic back pain.

I have basically had back pain since I was a runner in college when I was 19. I had to quit running for awhile. I am 48 now. I have tried everything under the sun over all these years, with varying success. Now I have multiple bulging discs, inflammation of my SI joint, and a bursa on my R trochanter. I have L neck pain, too. I started taking Gabapentin and Diclovenac. Today, I got 2 cortisone shots in my SI joint and the bursa. I have a new chiropractor who is adjusting me, doing electrical stim, ultrasound, and deep tissue massage. Tomorrow I start swimming again. I am a total hot mess! Does anyone have any experience with gabapentin for nerve pain? I feel like it’s making me hungry. Is that all in my head? I would love to hear any of your stories and/or wisdom about this? Thanks.

Replies

• YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    I hate gabapentin! Took it for about 4 weeks earlier this year and couldn't get off it fast enough. Started gaining weight pretty quickly, constipated, moody, my wife and son both saw the mood changes and talked me into a conversation with my Doc to get off it. And it never really did anything to help the numbness in my feet. I hope you have much better results than I, back pain sucks and I wish you the best.
  • MrsG1994
    MrsG1994 Posts: 49 Member
    Thanks for this! I have been honestly wondering what people’s own experiences are with it. This is helpful!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Have you been going to a chiropractor(s) for a long time? Does he/she just "adjust" or do they give you home exercises to do?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I had decent pain relief with Gabapentin due to two bulging discs and radicular pain. My dad has spinal stenosis and swears by it. TBH, good ol’ Ibuprofen helped my pain more than Gabapentin though.

I also had good relief with PT, acupuncture, and massage. The best thing though was continuing the spinal extension stretches at home on my own once PT was over. Aquatic PT is the best if you have access to a pool. It will really take the pressure off of your back. I wish you luck!
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited August 2021
    Gabapentin did nothing for my back pain maybe the dose was to low IDK and my daughter and her dad both took it for back pain he had surgery on his and she didn't it did nothing for either one of them. Well my daughter actually had side effects from it such as feeling faint and nauseous and headaches the ER doctor recommended she not take it and gave her an narcotic in an IV for her pain, but here in California their being so strict with the narcotics they only sent her home with over the counter meds that don't help. I hope this works for you if not you find something that does, I know this can be one of the worse pains.

I hope it works for you, but a lot of times they start on such a low dose it does nothing for a person, maybe you can encourage them to give a high enough dose to begin with. At least you have a plan of action with the chiropractor and the cortisone shot and the Diclovenac. I hope as well the swimming is successful for you, HUGGS
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Personally hate gabapentin, major personality and mood swings, the wife his told of I ever take it again I’m out of the house. The best pain relief I’ve found is ablation where they cauterise the nerves
  • MrsG1994
    Thanks so much everyone:)
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 871 Member
    I have no input about the medications, unfortunately....but if you are seeing a chiropractor....have they also referred you to a PT? Or given you PT type exercises?

I'd ask your chiro if that is an option for you.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    I have no input about the medications, unfortunately....but if you are seeing a chiropractor....have they also referred you to a PT? Or given you PT type exercises?

I'd ask your chiro if that is an option for you.

If a chiropractor isn't giving home exercises, they are just treating you like an annuity.
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    A little late but I couldn't tolerate gabapentin. Made me feel drunk all the time. I was prescribed it for nerve pain post spinal fusion.
  • MrsG1994
    Thanks everyone!