Calories Burned Shooting?

Options
2»

Replies

• rrmclain
    rrmclain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try this site where you can put in your height, age, sex and it will figure out the calories burned. While it is not a lot of calories burned, you definitely get an arm workout because of the weight of the gun and the action resulting in pulling the trigger. When I shoot I switch hands frequently which is a good thing to do so you can feel comfortable in case you ever need to shoot using your non-dominate hand.
    http://www.fitday.com/webfit/burned/calories_burned_Pistol_shooting_or_trap_shooting_standing.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    emay45 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many calories would be burned at the shooting range?
    Even if you were there for an hour, it likely wouldn't be more than 150 calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Don't log it and enjoy the extra weight you will lose from the minimal calories you burned.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    This is a strange thread to necromance.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Zombie thread.....

i5t1nbzpw9w2.jpg
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    emay45 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many calories would be burned at the shooting range?

Not enough to be worth counting (I'm ex-military).
  • ABHays
    ABHays Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is more scientific answer I just found:

https://www.medicaldaily.com/addicted-guns-heres-how-using-firearm-affects-your-biology-410542

The author is decided pro-gun control, but the details a host of benefits to firing a gun:

"In addition to a flood of hormones, shooting a gun can also burn calories — a surprising amount. For example, the average 130-pound shooter will burn about 148 calories per hour at the shooting range, while heavier shooters clocking in at around 205 pounds can burn as many as 233 calories an hour."
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Dynamic shooting yes.. it's calories burning.. target pinking (where you don't have to walk down range to change target) little to no burn
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ABHays wrote: »

https://www.medicaldaily.com/addicted-guns-heres-how-using-firearm-affects-your-biology-410542

The author is decided pro-gun control, but the details a host of benefits to firing a gun:

"In addition to a flood of hormones, shooting a gun can also burn calories — a surprising amount. For example, the average 130-pound shooter will burn about 148 calories per hour at the shooting range, while heavier shooters clocking in at around 205 pounds can burn as many as 233 calories an hour."

Although this is a crazy 9-year-old zombie thread...

Wouldn't a 130-pound couch sitter also burn about 148 calories per hour?!? That's a really small burn over an hour.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Wouldn't a 130-pound couch sitter also burn about 148 calories per hour?!? That's a really small burn over an hour.

Oooh. Let's argue in a zombie thread :)

BMR of a 215 lb man (me) is ~1950 per day or about 81 per hour (just BMR). a 5'4" female at 130 has a BMR of ~1275 or about 53 per hour. Neat for a couch sitter would add ~20%.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

BMR of a 215 lb man (me) is ~1950 per day or about 81 per hour (just BMR). a 5'4" female at 130 has a BMR of ~1275 or about 53 per hour. Neat for a couch sitter would add ~20%.

So, if the couch-sitter were standing instead of sitting? Then where does she end up?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

So, if the couch-sitter were standing instead of sitting? Then where does she end up?

Taller??

:)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Edestiny7 wrote: »
    If you invest in a heart rate monitor, you will know exactly how many calories you burn doing anything. A lot of people on here rave about the Polar F6. I have the Polar FT4 which was $100 through my gym.

You could invest a lot less than $100 in a set of dice.

How many heart beats are there in a calorie?
  • delewis80
    delewis80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this thread, but the ones that think shooting does not burn calories obviously do not shoot weapons. And to the super rude FrnkLft, the time under tension that your muscles sustain while shooting using correct shooting fundamentals most definitely qualifies as calories burned. You clearly feel macho without ever shooting a gun. It's not "just standing there." Ever heard of yoga? Just because it doesn't involve rapid movement, does not mean it does not test muscle stamina and strength or burn calories. If you didn't have a helpful answer, why even comment?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    FrnkLft wrote: »
    Calories burned while standing and shooting a pistol.... :noway: Don't give yourself so much credit, the gun is the one doing the work.

Did you look up how many calories you burn just standing there without the pistol? If someone's sedentary TDEE is 2,000, then that would be 83 calories right there. So...

Not EVERY activity, no matter how outdoorsy it is, how macho it makes you feel, or how much it makes you sweat because it's hot or marginally stressful, counts as exercise.

The calories burned come from working the muscles with sufficient intensity over time, not from simply doing an activity or feeling like you're doing work.

Please. Think.

Competitive shooting (as she's clarified is what she's doing) involves running/sprinting from one shooting position to the next.
    It isn't just standing and shooting a pistol.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    This is a strange thread to necromance.

Ah crud...zombies got me.
  • Bari_Tone
    Bari_Tone Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sporting clays taking a golf cart from station to station, 5 Stand, Trap...I have to go with "I wouldn't log this"

I have done some defensive handgun - rifle - and shotgun training where I would log it as maybe like a walk at 2 mph...but dropping to a knee, firing, and rising back up (freaking lunges!) - that counts
  • marylyndegregorio
    Options
    Madmike54 wrote: »
    The Presidents Challege tracker, which is managed by the University of Indiana, lists one hour of trap and skeet shooting as earning 145 points. Their website states points are nearly equal to calories burned. That should be a pretty close approximation.

It has to be different from just standing around. My shotgun is around 8 or 9 pounds. Shooting International Trap, I would mount it 25 times in about 20 minutes, and walk from station to station in between. It may not be much but it's more than just steps.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Edestiny7 wrote: »
    If you invest in a heart rate monitor, you will know exactly how many calories you burn doing anything. A lot of people on here rave about the Polar F6. I have the Polar FT4 which was $100 through my gym.

You could invest a lot less than $100 in a set of dice.

How many heart beats are there in a calorie?

I have a resting heart rate of roughly 60 beats per minute, and my estimated sedentary TDEE is 1512 calories, so that would be 3600 heartbeats per 63 calories, or 57.1 heartbeats per calorie at rest.

(Edited because I re-checked the estimated sedentary TDEE, and it wasn't what I remembered...)

While running, I have a heart rate of roughly 165 beats per minute, and burn 681 calories (gross) per hour. That gives me 14.5 heartbeats per calorie while running.

This seems to indicate that at the very least, the number of heartbeats per calorie is not fixed. While I recognize that there is some sort of correlation between heart rate and calorie estimates during steady-state exercise, I wouldn't suggest attempting to calculate one based on the other.