What should I eat before working out at 5 am?

Options
Hello everyone. Due to some changes in my schedule I am now going to be working out early in the morning at about 5 am (used to be mid afternoon, after breakfast, before lunch). I am not sure what I should eat before working out, if anything at all. If I work out on an empty stomach, I don't feel too good. However, I've heard that working out on an empty stomach burns more fat. On the other hand, if I eat something prior, I feel a bit sick to my stomach too since I don't have enough time to let the food digest. And I'm not going to get up any earlier than 5 to eat! :) I know there are many different opinions about this but just wondering what other early morning exercisers do? Thanks for the advice!

Replies

• naomirog
    naomirog Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe for dinner the evening before have plenty of carbs..this should give you loads of energy for first thing in the morning so you don't have to eat majorly early!! :)
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    That's when I workout also. A handful of almonds and dried fuit is my norm. You can also make a small baggie of it the night before and save yourself a few minutes in the morning (that I usually spend sleeping!)
  • williti
    williti Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to eat first thing in the morning, with or without exercise. I workout every morning after my first cup of cofee :drinker: (6:30/7:00 am) and eat breakfast around 9 or 9:30. I don't know if this is good or bad but it works for me.

Good luck with your new schedule!
  • allready_gone
    Options
    Try a few things and see what works. Some ppl say if you're not running for more than an hour you don't need anything. I eat a half an energy bar.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    If I have to do an early workout...I always do a banana before and then a bowl of cereal or oatmeal after. :)
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You have to eat really, just something light and a carbs/protein mix. I can usually do a couple of weetabix without producing a pavement pizza during my workout.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:3am to exercise. I usually have a a piece of fresh fruit like an orange, apple or peach and some water. I don't know if this is scientifically correct. It's just what I do and it seems to work well for me.
  • julieban1
    julieban1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5 am as well. I don't eat beforehand because it makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach, plus, as you said, I don't want to wake up at 4 just to eat! It has been working just fine for me!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    i get up extra early and have a pre-workout protein shake mixed with apple juice 45 minutes before the gym (Yes that is 4am). Gives me both protein and some slow releasing carbs to power my workout... Immediately after the workout I have another protein shake this time mixed with water and eventually a banana THEN my breakfast an hour after I leave the gym.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I workout every morning after my first cup of coffee. I don't know if this is good or bad but it works for me.
    I do this too, it stimulates the metabolism
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5 AM person also. For short 30 minute workouts I usually don't eat and have a good breakfast right after. If I'm pushing it a bit I have a little protein shake (very little 1/4 serving) before I go out, then eat breakfast after.
    I use Pro Complex by Optimal Nutrition. It is easy to digest, doesn't have any sugar and I can even use it as a mid long run drink. Most good supplement stores carry stuff from ON (avoid GNC way too expensive)
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana oe a piece of high-fiber toast. Something light that will give you some carbs. And of course, drink lots of water before your workout.
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If I have to do an early workout...I always do a banana before and then a bowl of cereal or oatmeal after. :)

That is exactly what I do
  • adrianmg
    adrianmg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How hard are you working out, and do you have time to eat and wait before starting? I am doing something similar - rowing machine, run or bike most mornings, generally 25-40 minutes. I don't bother having anything first, except maybe some water.

My reasoning - It takes me 10 minutes or so to get from getting out of bed to getting out of the door, so unless I make a specific point of going to the kitchen first, the likelihood is that anything I have first has not really started to be digested yet (15-20 minutes?) - in which case it is not contributing much if anything.

Once I come back in, recently I've started having a scrambled egg (1, or 1 with a second egg white) as a quick small filler, as the gap to breakfast (once I get to the office, I have cereals - muesli) was too long. So that's usually around 1.5-2 hours after the exercise. As it turns out, when I googled recently about this stuff, some protein within 15 mins, and carbs within 1-3 hours seems to be a sensible bet. It seems to have covered all the "hungry" gaps.

For a longer run, or longer period on the rower, eg an hour, then I'd probably have some banana or something like that beforehand, but about 15-20 minutes before starting so that I was starting to get the benefit by the time I started needing it.
  • mmm77
    mmm77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also exercise at 5:30 each morning. I don't eat anything before... just drink my cup of coffee.
  • Timkerbelle
    Options
    First of all, hearing you all talk about how early you work out is truly inspirational for me!

I get up at 6.30-7.00 and do my workout, which is typically running.
    I don't eat beforehand. I used to rely heavily on breakfast, but I'm finding that after a bit of an adjustment period I work so much better on a light morning and save my heavier meals for later in the day.

I know we are all different, but this really suits me well (basically three meals a day, with my biggest for dinner and smallest for breakfast).

A few years ago when I first tried running in the morning I felt simply awful. Now I look forward to my morning runs on an empty stomach. It is possible that you will get used to working on an empty stomach (my prefered way for sure), but if not I would get some healthy, liquid or dense calories, that would give you a bit of a boost.
    I think it's important to keep in mind that the body can't use foods right away though, so I believe that it's more about not having an 'empty' stomach than benefiting from the nutrients.
  • luvmy3jewels
    luvmy3jewels Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a string cheese stick or a 100 calorie almond pack in the car on my way to work out in the morning.
  • malindaja
    malindaja Posts: 29
    Options
    Man, I usually just get up and go at 530a. I have a really crazy schedule and now I am wondering if I should be before also?
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like you HAVE to eat anything. I workout in the mornings( and later than you do, around 6:45 is when I usually get up) and I don't eat anything before I hit the gym. My workouts usually last a hour and 30 minutes (40 min run, 15 min other cardio, about 35 mins strength), and I eat as soon as I get home (sometimes I'll shower first, depending on how much of a rush I'm in). Usually its oatmeal and a banana... less frequently cereal and a banana. This works perfectly for me. I don't want to get up any earlier than I have to in order to eat and digest the food, and forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry is no fun.
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Banana ,Fiber one Bar or Bowl of Cereal.