300 lbs now, looking for 175lbs - committed to a new life an

Options
Good morning!

I am a 49 year old dad with 3 kids; 8,11, and 22 years old.

My wife and I have been married for 14 years, and she has been good about staying "average" - without any programs, etc..

Me - I have a desk job of 15+ years, that has a lot of stress and hours -and being a single income family in this USA, I guess I should be thankful for the paycheck.

I started my marriage and "career" at under 200 lbs... still a little chunky - but things have spun out of control.

So far, no health issues - everything "borderline".

But, 50 is around the corner... and I'd like to stay around to raise my kids and maybe even some grand kids.

I used to do a lot when I was in college - camp, play backyard football, nothing too extreme - but seems I had more free time.

Now, it's one chore after another around our house (can't really afford to hire out) - and work has grown to a big ugly monster that sucks 50+ hours a week. I so want to share life with my kids and wife... the "living" part, not just the crazy "let's get one more thing squeezed in" part - and be more involved with the my church and the folks, there.

And maybe food is my refuge? I chow down midlessly at my desk, and then go home and crash in an easy chair - only to consume... in the name of "I need a break".

All that being said - I wonder if others have been on the same roller coaster of life - and tried Atkins, Slim fast, wahtever - like I did - only to fall in the same traps after the program is done.

I never tried posting a note like this, so I am waiting and hoping... seems wierd to do it - but I hate being fat, and I am desperate to find a solution!

Greg

Replies

• cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    congrats to you for finally realizing you need to do this right this time around!!! there's a bunch of good people on here and we'll help you fight fight fight (you notice how i lumped myself into the bunch of good people :D)
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Greg,

You have come to the right place for support. First of all friend me and you will be joining a group of my friends that range in age from about 35 to 60 and all we do is support each other. Your commitment is not to the diet but to a change in life style. All you have to do is log in every day with us...keep us posted and get in the grove with US! We will support you and we will become your new "family" You will get crap from us if you mess up and we will give you an Ataboy if you do well.

Come to the dark side Greg!

Marcello
  • Lirenebon
    Options
    You can do this, keep posting and everyone will give you support, I have been on this program for three days, so far I have stayed on track. Having a food journal is such a big help too. Remmeber it took while for us to gain so it will take dedication and work to get it off. You can do this....
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey my friend! Please feel free to add me. We have a similar story and goals and I think we can help to support each other!
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You're in the right place. It's all about being healthy and making positive lifestyle choices. You will find lots of support here during your journey.
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Best decision of my life was joining this site. No offense to my husband and kids. :-)

Good Luck! Check out the Success Stories on the Message Boards. Inspirational.
  • Deebutterflies
    Options
    You can do it!! Can't wait to read your progress.
    Good luck!

5481210.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! I too have tried almost everything else. This is working. I had a couple of "bad" months, but I am back with a vengeance. I understand about how busy life can be. I have found that I can control it if I try. I used to work 50 - 60 hours a week and when I wasn't working I was thinking about and stressing about work. Left that job and now my life is so much better. A lot less money but I am finding ways to deal with it. The funny thing about leaving that job was that I immediately lost 10 pounds with out changing a thing! Thats when I started believing what I have heard. Stress causes weight gain or at least hampers weight loss. All of my children are grown so I guess that makes my life a little less stressful, but I know you can do it! Everyone here is very supportive. Good Luck!
  • ronchap
    Options
    Started at 314 age 50. Now a year later 217 heading for 195 and feeling great. All my numbers are way down and no meds with the exception of a few supplements.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You are going to love it here.....lots of support and excellent people to help keep you on track and accountable. Just remember (I have to remind myself often) your weight didn't come on overnight and it won't come off that fast either. Just keep making better choices, log your food, get some exercise......and make lots of friends for a great support network on here! Good job for taking the first step!!! You totally got this!
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Greg,

MFP sounds like the right place for you to be! I had a desk job for 5 years and gained well over 50lbs in those 5 years :-/. I found this place back in May and my life truly has never been the same. There are a lot of really good supportive people here that are willing to help motivate you and give you encouragement when you need it. We are all in the same boat here. We all want to be healthy and live our lives to the fullest. We aren't here b/c we want a "quick fix." We are here b/c we want to change our lives.

Add me if you'd like. I will be more than happy to help support you and encourage you through this journey. It is by no means going to be easy, but it is going to be completely worth it.

~Becki
  • reedee94
    reedee94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Glad you have joined us. It isn't easy but I think you are ready to help yourself. This site has been a revelation to my husband and I. We decided use the food diary properly and when you log everything that passes your lips you realise things need to change. Get your wife involved and together you can plan your journey to healthy weight loss. Would love to support you on your journey. Even though I am in Worcester UK I can shout loud over the water. Feel free to add me.
  • repip
    Options
    Hi Greg,

I have never replied to a post before, but your situation is similar to mine so here goes. My husband and I were both considering weight loss surgery when I found MFP as a result of the food journaling we learned to do in nutrition counseling (this is so much easier than keeping track of everything on paper).

While we have not entirely made a decision about the surgery, I have lost 14 pounds in 35 days just by keeping track of my calories and being careful to get enough protein (which means fewer carbs and fewer cravings --- who knew???). My weight is currently still around 300, so i have a long way to go, but I believe that I can get there using this incredible tool. I finally convinced my husband to try it, and he has also begun to lose by tracking his food intake. My two daughters have also joined after seeing how committed I am to this -- I have tried many things in the past, but never with much success. This feels like a sustainable lifestyle rather than a "diet" plan.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I will be sure that my husband befriends you too! :-)
  • scrappinmom11
    Options
    Hey Greg, (That's my husband's name too). Glad to hear that you have started to choose a healthy life for yourself and for your family. I started my journey at well over 300 pounds (way more to be honest). I have now lost 60lbs and fee like I have rejoined the human race. Your story sounded similar to mine and I had to respond to let you know that you can do this. It has to be a life change, not a diet. I don't look at food as a comfort any more, and I feel so much better that I workout and get involved in "LIFE". I started out walking, and have done a little running, yoga, and the one thing that has taken inches off is swimming. I go to our local YMCA and grab a kickboard and swim for 30-60 min....Yoga keeps me focused and toned, and walking burns the calories...Good luck to you..my goal is 175 as well...I have a way to go still, but I remain focused for ME! Take care.
  • achtracy
    achtracy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Way to go Greg! I can relate to all of what you said. I found MFP at the end of July weighing in at 310, I too felt out of control and knew I needed to take control of my rollar coster life. Getting into the blogs on here really keeps me motivated when I'm not feeling it so much! I too am going for a goal of 175. So far, I've lost 15 lbs and I NEVER want to see 300's again! I know you can do the same. Today I feel great, and have more energy to get off the couch. My husband and I are walking together which is strengthening our relationship. Our kids are joining us when they can. It's been great for our family. Really hoping the same happens for you and yours! Keep up the good work Greg!!!
  • crazedmomof5
    Options
    Greg I am new here as well and I am loving it so far the people on here are so inspriational and supportive it is like no other site I have been on. Weight Loss is a lot harder than putting it on that is for sure and it will take TIME but just do it one day at a time(something I ahve to remind myself of daily) I think you will find great people on here and yes as someone said before me a new family to give you that extra boost you need to get through the day, to get off your butt and always praise you when it is due! Feel free to add me and good luck seems you are on the right track! :smile:
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You found an amazing outlet of support and guidance! MFP, the program and the people, are amazing! You have to be dedicated - that is on you. But with that dedication you will find amazing friends and lots of guidance on what to eat and what not to eat! Advice - log everything and open your diary to the public. It will make you vulnerable, but that is good when it comes to loosing weight. You will be more conscience of what you put in your mouth b/c you know your MFP community can see it! :happy:

I too work a desk job and I can relate to the sedentary life. your brain is continuously on the go at work and when you get home you want to digress. A snack here and there during favorite TV shows - no big deal right? Wrong....it all adds up. Do you have stairs at work? I suggest start using them... A LOT! Take the long way to the bathroom, lunchroom, co-workers offices. Park further away. All those things will add up. At home, the weather is cooling off (in parts of the country ...not here, but somewhere. :laugh: ) so start going for walks with your wife and kids. They will enjoy being with you and you will gain some excercise!

So glad you have found this community! Be strong and stay focused and you WILL see results! Best of luck to you!!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hey Greg, welcome! Believe it or not, this stuff really works! Commit to doing it and make it happen. I'm in much the same sort of job and age group. Don't let it happen, make it happen! There are some good people here to kick you in the butt when you need it and encourage you when you need that!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    <raising hand> in 2005, I was rock solid doing Atkins for about 9 months. I lost 50 pounds and my blood work was awesome. But, sadly, Atkins wasn't something I could sustain long term (I love fruits and veggies...and pasta) and I got complacent with things. At first I would cheat for a full day, then a full weekend, then a full week, then 10 out of 14 days and then forget it. Early in the "re-gain the weight" process, I was like "eh, its just 10 pounds; I will get back on the ball and lose it". Then it was "eh, its just 20 pounds I have to get off...I'm still much better off than before". Later it was "I've gained back 40 pounds, but I can still get back on track". Ultimately it was "what an idiot I am to gain back all 50 pounds...plus some".

I just didn't have the right mindset in 2005 when I started Atkins (I was looking for something, anything that worked and Atkins sure enough worked). I also didn't read enough health and fitness material to give me some options post-Atkins. I knew that Atkins only worked as long as you were on it...but I should have been researching alternative healthy eating plans to convert to.

Coming into this year, I had a similar mindset to the one you detailed. This was my age 40 year, I have 2 young kids, and I want to be around to spend time with them and with my wife. This time it had to be about my health. This time my mindset is simple "live a healthier life" rather than "do something, anything to lose weight". While I have a goal, there really is no magic number to achieve "live a healthier life"...its just something I'm committed to doing each and every day. To me "live a healthier lifestyle" is more sustainable than Atkins. I can eat fruits and veggies. Although I know I can't eat all of the pasta I want, I can still eat pasta sometimes...particularly whole grain pasta. I can and should have some cheat meals because it helps shock my system and knowing that I can have those cheat meals helps encourage me to otherwise eat healthy. I have read a LOT more material this year on nutrition and fitness. I have a larger accountability circle this time around...friends, family, co-workers, facebook, MFP...but, mostly, myself. I'm still pissed off that I let myself gain back that weight. I know the hard work I've put in this year and I'm not going to let it be in vain. I know how much better I feel now and I like it. I like having more energy most days. I feel like this year, I have the right mindset and I have the tools I need.

Good luck to you on your journey!
  • gr8birdie
    gr8birdie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Greg,

You can do this. a year ago I was 325 and today I am 196 and never felt better. Only advice I can give you is slow and steady. Feel free to add me