What do you put in your plain, non fat yogurt?

Options
2»

Replies

• Juneaux12
    Juneaux12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ditto the granola and berries. I like blueberries with crushed pecans also, but that is a bit higher on the fatty side.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have plain non-fat Chobani yogurt that tastes like sour cream without anything in it.

I put a tablespoon of ovaltine and a teaspoon of sugar in it and it tastes just like pudding.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Bear Naked Granola the fruit and nut one. Its soooo good
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I usually just put honey and granola in mine. I also use it instead of mayonnaise and sour cream.
  • RickinNH
    RickinNH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have stopped putting stuff in my yogurt, and started putting yogurt on my other stuff.

Sounds like a small difference, I know, but I find I get more full and consume less calories when I eat a bowl full of fresh fruit - say, some blueberries, strawberries, and a peach, then top it off with a 1/2 cup of yogurt, then I do when I eat 1+ cup of yogurt with something else thrown in to spice it up.

Life is made up of small differences.
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I can't stand plain yogurt, with or without fat, Greek or otherwise. I only buy the plain Greek to sub for sour cream. I also don't like vanilla or honey. So if you're going to add stuff anyway, just buy the flavored stuff. I love the Chobani blueberry and raspberry, and my sister would step over an injured family member to get the pineapple (which is 2%, as is the strawberry banana) - she loves it so much! I love the Athenos brand, too, but none of the stores by my house carry it. :(
    That being said, when I do add granola, I like Bear Naked Fit. Grape Nuts work well too.
  • jdub2131
    Options
    Try frozen fruit of your choice and/or granola! I would also recommend non-fat vanilla yogurt...so much tastier!
  • wandaxpcw
    Options
    Honey and walnuts for me. Jammie
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    natural yogart and honey together is soooooooooooooooooooooo yummy!
    but i don't tend to have as honey has too many cals in lol
  • daves160
    Options
    I like to mix in a bit of acai berry juice in my greek yogurt. Maybe a bit of a granola bar?
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I mix Chobani plain greek yogurt in my steel cut oats with half a mashed banana and cinnamon. I'm not a big fan of meat so most of my protein comes from Greek yogurt and nuts. I also use plain greek yogurt as a subsitute for mayo and sour cream add lots of spices.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I mix in cereal and fruit. Then again, I like the taste of plain yogurt, so that might not help...
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It's great in smoothies, thickens the shake up nicely.

If you don't like the taste, add in strong flavored fruits. The yogurt will take on their flavor. My personal favorite is crushed pineapple in it's own juice. Just make sure you mix it well.

Also some people really just don't like the consistency of yogurt. In addition to the other things you're adding, continue adding crunchy stuff in. That can help until you're more used to eating yogurt as is.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have stopped putting stuff in my yogurt, and started putting yogurt on my other stuff.
    Good suggestion.

I often eat yogurt with chicken or beef dishes. It's often served that way in Greek and Turkish meals.

I tried a bunch of different brands to find a flavor I liked best. Cascade Fresh is a local brand that I prefer. I usually eat plain or vanilla. I also like Chobani regular fat yogurt. The low fat/regular versions of yogurt usually taste much better than the non-fat versions.

You might eating it with granola or some cereal. I add Flax seed meal. I like the nutty taste, plus it has lots of fiber and Omega-3.

You can also drain the yogurt, making it more the consistency of cream cheese. You can spread that on toast or a bagel, or mix in some seasoning to make a dip for vegetables. To make it, I put a coffee filter in an open mouthed container (such as an empty yogurt container), secure it with a rubber band, put in about a cup of yogurt, and then cover it (either with a small plate, the lid of said yogurt container, or some plastic wrap). The whole thing goes into the fridge overnight. The whey drips through the coffee filter and you've got a thicker version of yogurt in the top.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    if you dont like/enjoy it then dont eat it. Me I eat greek yoghurt and add granola to mine or occasionally a wee bit of cherry jam to sweeten it

I agree, don't make yourself eat food you don't like or you will give up on your weight loss as it makes it too hard, I don't eat plain yoghurt I buy flavoured yoghurt just watch the sugar content.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I grab a crystal light packet and sprinkle a little in.... the flavors are fantastic!!
  • tiffanyelliott
    Options
    Chocolate protein powder and half a banana! Yummm
  • krmiller4217
    krmiller4217 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    one stevia packet, cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract. Tastes like a cinnamon roll!
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    porridge oats and honey, yoghurt and a little bit of fruit on top. Leave it in the fridge overnight.

But if you don't like it, don't eat it, it won't help you in the long run if you are forcing yourself to eat things you don't really like. Just creates negative associations.