A "new" approach to losing weight

Options
I'm happy, I like the way I look, I have 2 babies, a hot hubby, I'm healthy- life is good! I do walk around with about 15 extra pounds, so I've decided that now is a good time to get rid of it! (I'm 5 feet tall and 130lbs)

I've definitely tried calorie counting before- and I've experienced success! What usually happens to me is that I lose the weight pretty quickly, and then I feel good about being "skinnier" and then I don't pay as much attention to what I'm eating and then I gain it back! I guess you could call me a "yo-yo'er".

My problem isn't really what I eat- it is how much I eat! Call me a binge eater, stress eater, food-lover, whatever- the bottom line is that my calorie intake can get out of control!

In the past I'd start my calorie counting and I'd be given the target number of around 1200 calories. As a person who really likes to eat, that is not an easy daily goal! And of course not reaching the goal would stress me out, causing me to eat MORE. Counterproductive I'd say!

Alright so here's my new approach. I'm giving myself a goal of 1400 calories a day. AND I'm adding cardio workouts (kickboxing and spinning) so that I can eat more food! I make myself eat back the calories I burned. 1900 calories is way more appealing!

I've been doing this for almost a week and it doesn't feel like work at all. It just feels like I'm managing my calorie intake- I'm eating solid meals and I'm not binging. I'm totally snacking, but I log everything and I don't go over my net calorie allowance. (but I don't go under- if I see that I have calories left I find something to eat!!)

So it stands to reason that if it doesn't feel like work, then I should be able to stick with it- right? OR does it mean that I'm not working hard enough to try to lose weight and so I won't? I'd really like to believe that slow, steady weight loss without feeling like you are starving or depriving yourself of yummy foods is possible. We shall see!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It sounds incredibly sensible and very likely to reward you with long term success.
    I've taken a similar approach and it's worked very well for me. Restricting calories to 1200 a day seems like punishment and I know that I would fail within a few days. Eating 1600 or so plus exercise has been incredibly successful for me, and really not as hard as I thought it would be.
    Of course, now I'm almost at my goal weight I have to learn to maintain but that is just the next challenge!
  • picinina
    Options
    Hi Silverchic,

Loved the insight into your life. I can see that you're a motivated little bundle of energy, just bursting to achieve your 15lb goal-loss.

I can totally relate to this, as I too am a little 5ft muchkin. However, where I vary from you is that I have always been the same size.. I have no idea what it's like to be smaller than my current weight. I have my eating sorted down pat, my downfall is generally 'being active'.

So, I make a little challenge proposal for you... I can offer you support in the food area, if you help me with getting back into action. Are you ready my little friend??!

Cheers
    Picinina
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. I can so relate. My story is similar. While I am still trying to eat just 1200 calories plus whatever I burn in exercise, I wish you all the luck. If it works for you, I just may switch my plan.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    congratulations! this is the secret to a healthy lifestyle! You will succeed :)

blessings.
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean about it not feeling like work. I always thought that counting calories was supposed to be hard and was supposed to feel like dieting. But by using the mobile MFP app and keeping track of the calories I eat and burn, I was blown away to find how easy it really is. I've been doing this since July 11 and have lost 21 pounds so far, without ever feeling like I was starving, or that I was denying myself something I really wanted. I've eaten cheeseburgers, cookies, ice cream, chocolate and had a lot of beer. I've also had lots of Grape Nuts, salads, low-fat milk, and stir fry.

But I think that's the key. You won't stick with it if it feels like work. If it feels do-able, and you're losing weight, it'll be a long-term change.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow- that was my first post on here and I really appreciate the supportive comments! Thanks everyone and good luck with your goals!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think that's absolutely the right way. That's what I've tried to do for the past 30 years with much success. My only problem is when I start thinking I don't have time for the exercise and slack off. But I still eat the same, so I put on weight. But as soon as I start doing some type of aerobic exercise again, it comes right back off. I'm never hungry with eating 1500 - 1800 calories of healthy food a day, I just need to keep myself from being lazy.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to believe that slow, steady weight loss without feeling like you are starving or depriving yourself of yummy foods is possible. We shall see!

It is. Since February, I've been losing about 1 1/2 pounds per MONTH and I couldn't be happier. The weight is gone forever, so what's not to love?
  • ncgingerich
    ncgingerich Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    To me it sounds like you are doing perfectly! It took me awhile to trust that eating back the exercise calories would actually help with the weight loss (since you avoid the dreaded starvation mode) and you are smart to have figured this out so quickly. Good luck!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    You should check out the fat2fitradio podcasts. Their idea is that you never 'diet', but just eat the calories that the thinner you would eat - and it's amazing how small a difference that is sometimes-mine was just a couple hundred calories.

It sounds like you've found a way to make losing weight fit into your life, and that's great!
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Brilliant!!!! I love this! Well done you for the realisation that you don't have to starve yourself! I love to eat too, I eat 6 meals a day! I'm never hungry I won't let my body feel hungry! I eat every 3 hours, I think it just matters more about what you eat! And whet exercise you are doing! Good Luck I really think you are on a fabulous path! :)