Breast Feeding Moms!!!!!

Options
Hi Ladies.

I would love to start some chatter about weight loss and breast feeding. I think we are wonderful and special and would love to see us support each other.

I will start- I am a momma of 2 month old sweet baby girl, Libby. I find myself a little tired to exercise, let alone finding time around Libby's feeding schedule. Anyone else? Do you think nursing is helping you reach your goals?

Blessings,
Melisa

Replies

• wandaxpcw
    Options
    Hi Melisa,

I'm not breastfeeding anymore. But I've nursed twins for 9 months. I had to eat a lot more than I was used to and still I lost a lot of weight.
    The backside is that I gained a lot after I stopped breastfeeding, due to my "new" eating habits.

Excercising was done just walking with the twin stroler. It was quite enough for me.
  • LRAMOM11
    Options
    Hi! I'm Sherrie and I have a 5 month old little girl Avery that I am breastfeeding! I definitely have days where I feel like I am attached to her non stop so I don't exercise like I should. Also it seems like whenever it is time to hit the gym it's time to feed her. She is my 3rd child, I have 2 boys also, Landon who is 4 and Riley who is 2. I'm a busy person to say the least! This is the first time I've been successful at breastfeeding past 1 month!
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options
    hi ya i stopped breats feeding baout 7/8months ago (my little boy is 19 months old now) but i found it helped me lose a few pounds but as soon as i stopped the weight started to pile on i soo wish i found this site just after i had him i might not have put so much on , breastfeeding mums should stick together because its the most natural thing in the world but is frowned upon by many congrats on your baby girl and keep up the good work x
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I breast fed by two boys. It was a great, demanding, tiring, bonding experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world. With my first, I lost the weight pretty easily, the second, not at all. You are giving your baby a very healthy start to her life and best of luck! Keep it up and enjoy her. My favorite exercise when they were that little was walking almost anywhere calm and pretty and watching them enjoy the walks.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I put on a grand total of 45 pounds during my pregnancy and was already on the high end of healthy weight range for my height (145 lbs) beforehand. Was down 22 pounds after birth and after 8 months of on demand BF, I had lost the rest plus a little more! :) BF was a huge factor in losing baby weight for me! Unfortunately, I gained a few pounds back when Liam started to rely more on solids (around 1yo) but nothing too dramatic.
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hello! I didn't breastfeed my first but I am still breast-feeding my 8 1/2 month old. From the beginning till 6 months when she started solids I found I needed a high amount of calories. I was exercising too. If I didn't eat over 2000 calories I couldn't function. I like home fitness DVDs since it's hard for me to get out of the house. Now she is Older I just eat to what I feel my body needs. Listen to your body! I did find breastfeeding helped me lose weight since I ate pretty much whatever I wanted. Now I have to be a little more careful with what I eat.
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have such a special place in my heart for breastfeeding <3

Hello!

I am currently nursing my second daughter, I nursed for over 2 years with my first and now my second little girl is about to be a year old and we are still going strong! =) Breastfeeding hasn't been a huge help to me in weight loss, but then again I've never put a major effort into weight loss until recently. Pregnancy did me over in the weight gain department!! ;o) Breastfeeding is a challenge, but is so, so rewarding. I am glad there are other moms on here who are in a similar boat =)
  • wandaxpcw
    Options
    Breast feeding frowned upon? In the Netherlands its the other way around. If you're not Breastfeeding then you'll be likely to be pursued by the "Breastfeeding mafia" (nurses, midwifes, doktors, etc)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding frowned upon? In the Netherlands its the other way around. If you're not Breastfeeding then you'll be likely to be pursued by the "Breastfeeding mafia" (nurses, midwifes, doktors, etc)
    Here in the states I had to fight to keep them from bottle feeding my kids in the hospital! I was sent home with formula as breastfeeding support! I have had to breast feed in bathrooms because people around were uncomfortable with it - even though I was fully covered. They were apparantly ok with a baby being fed in a bathroom though! The states are not horribly child friendly right now.
  • rocknmommaof6
    Options
    I LOVE THAT! In my town some men don't even like to hear the words "breast feeding" let alone see a woman feeding her baby.
  • scircle
    scircle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THAT! In my town some men don't even like to hear the words "breast feeding" let alone see a woman feeding her baby.
    Tell me about it! I once had a woman with a baby scold me for feeding my 7 month old daughter "in public" (I was in the NURSING ROOM at a Sears. Seriously.). I also had a friend who refused to breast feed her infant because "My breasts are for (husband's name), not for food. That's gross.".

Breast feeding has been hugely important to me. It hasn't been massively helpful in weight loss, but I also haven't been actively trying until recently.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My son loved to move. I didn't do a lot of exercise when he was little, but I did rock my babyhawk and dance around the living room with him strapped to me. When I did finally get the bug to start exercising again I would do baby weight exercises with him. I'd strap him on for lunges and squats for the added weigth, do "kissie" push-ups where i would put him on his back for tummy time and do push-ups and come down and give his kisses or raspberries, lift him while standing for arms, lift him from the ground for hamstrings, I started getting really creative to try to incorporate him into my workout routine. I'd put on some music and hang out with my boy and the time would just fly by.

Oh, and I loved bfing. I did it for 16 months, until he got over his moo-cow milk allergy.
  • rocknmommaof6
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all your stories and encouragement!!!! I hope this thread helps other mommies feel empowered.

My story: A couple years ago I found myself divorced and a single mother of 5. Physical activity and a healthy life style has always been very important to me. (since I started dancing at age 5) I nursed all my children as long as I could depending on what was going on in my life at the time, even my twins. I got my body back after I had my second, and then again after 4th and 5th (the twins). Just like another mommy I walked the twins' weight off. (it took a year though).
    So back to the divorce: I had my first job in many years trying to support myself and family and HATED it. I have always wanted to work with children and I love teaching, so I decided to go back to school full time. I am now in my Junior year at SDSU working through the Physical Education Teacher Education program. However I had a pretty little hiccup... last fall I was casually dating a long time friend and got pregnant (on the pill). Going to dance and PE classes and being pregnant did not work so well, but I managed.
    Now I am weeks away from taking my fitness test for the PETE program and nervous as heck.... I shake just thinking about running a timed mile and passing. So here I am trying to find support to get my body back in shape as quick as possible to improve my health and prove to my professors that I can be a great PE teacher.
    I would love some "friends" that we can help support each other. xoxoxox
  • rocknmommaof6
    Options
    My son loved to move. I didn't do a lot of exercise when he was little, but I did rock my babyhawk and dance around the living room with him strapped to me. When I did finally get the bug to start exercising again I would do baby weight exercises with him. I'd strap him on for lunges and squats for the added weigth, do "kissie" push-ups where i would put him on his back for tummy time and do push-ups and come down and give his kisses or raspberries, lift him while standing for arms, lift him from the ground for hamstrings, I started getting really creative to try to incorporate him into my workout routine. I'd put on some music and hang out with my boy and the time would just fly by.

Oh, and I loved bfing. I did it for 16 months, until he got over his moo-cow milk allergy.
  • rocknmommaof6
    Options
    Thank you for all the great exercise ideas!!!!
  • keenan61304
    Options
    I am currently breast feeding my 7 month old and breastfed my son for two yrs. With my first two kids the pounds dropped this time it is harder .
    My 7 month old still takes no solids so she is contiuously nursing, and I still havent figured out a good time to work out with three kids.
  • Ekkan
    Ekkan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm breast feeding my nearly 6 month old daughter. I'm dreading the weaning that is starting to approach very quickly. I also breast feed my oldest daughter till 2 years. My main exercise is pushing the puchchair around and having the oldest one on my back with a sling. I live at the sea so enjoy walking around very much.

All the best to you all :happy: