I love to hate the food pushers in my life

Options
We all have them in our lives...who is your & how do you handle them?? :sad:

Today was a coworker...with an apple whoopie pie. Look delicous!! But, I refused and she just kept pushing. I took one & figured I could take a bite & throw the rest away when she walks away. She never walked away she waited for me to finish it.

I did & now I feel sick to my stomach. At least, I have lunch bag full of fruit & veggies for the rest of the day :love:

Replies

• MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    That is horrible and she should not have done that. You will be alright and overcome. These type of people do make it hard though. We all have them. Good luck.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I just tell them - no I don't eat that crap anymore. And I keep repeating myself. Or you can tell them you're allergic to flour or grains or something.
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    Sounds like you need to have a heart-to-heart with that food pusher. If you don't she will just keep doing it. She may have done it just to sabotage you, even if she would never admit it some people hate to see other people improve themselves.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Tell her in the future your doctor has you on a specific diet (even if s/he doesn't) and that that kind of food, as delicious as it looks, unfortunately doesn't fit in. Be firm and then turn away or get up to get water or something.
  • dvarrassi12
    Options
    Mine is also a coworker. She's always bringing in cookies, last week it was even cheesecake. Of course when I politely decline she tells me I look great and I still need to enjoy life. Did I say anything about not enjoying life? I just don't want your food crack lady lol.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I flat out tell them.. "uhh you know what I call people like you? A food pusher! I'm not going to sabotage my day with (fill in the food being pushed). Thanks though." My coworkers are notorious food pushers. HATE it. EVERYONE knows that I'm on a weight loss journey. A coworker even once said to me about 3 weeks after my wedding, "You already got him to marry you, you don't need to lose anymore weight now! He's not going anywhere." WTH?! I lost 30lbs before my wedding and after that comment I lost another 30lbs. GAH! jerks.
  • Melissajojo3
    Options
    NO MEANS NO!!! ** In a louds yelling voice** :P Its ok just try to commit to yourself and don't turn to foods that you know are bad for you, next time tell her you ate and your full just make something up.. :P
  • melissabee31
    Options
    You shouldn't let anyone do that to you. You should have said, politely, "I will pass on the pie right now, but thanks for the offer." Of course there are people who won't take no for answer, and unfortunately, that's when you have to be more blatantly obvious with them that no means no.

The pusher in my life is my father-in-law. He is not obese, but he eats whatever he wants and has terrible health problems because of it. He has gone as far as serving another "helping" onto my plate (which was more like two servings of the dish). I, of course, feel obligated to eat it. I am naturally a very light eater and do not eat like him at all. He comes from a family where you always need to clear your plate and a second helping is a must, if not a third.

Thankfully, my husband has tried to clarify that this behavior is offensive to me to my father-in-law. However, he just has a very different mind set than I do, and will probably always at least offer me more food, but I will always have to decline. I am simply full!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    No one ever tries that crap with me. I wonder why....sometimes I could use a good confrontation.
  • melissabee31
    Options
    I flat out tell them.. "uhh you know what I call people like you? A food pusher! I'm not going to sabotage my day with (fill in the food being pushed). Thanks though." My coworkers are notorious food pushers. HATE it. EVERYONE knows that I'm on a weight loss journey. A coworker even once said to me about 3 weeks after my wedding, "You already got him to marry you, you don't need to lose anymore weight now! He's not going anywhere." WTH?! I lost 30lbs before my wedding and after that comment I lost another 30lbs. GAH! jerks.

Wow! That is so incredibly rude! I can't stand it when people equate losing weight with pleasing someone other than yourself. Congrats on all the weight lost tho!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like your coworker wants to see you fail for whatever reason.

My husband used to be the food pusher. He is also the cook in the family. I find recipes and he cooks them. He was using high calorie items instead of the low calorie items the recipes called for, plus he never measured and would add entirely too much to the recipes. I finally told him I was going to do all the cooking if he was going to continue to try to sabotage my weight loss efforts. He's been much better since.

My mom is a food pusher, too. She's never had a weight problem and always wonders why my sister and I do. Yet she'll make fudgy chocolate brownies when we are together, knowing that chocolate is one of my trigger foods. When I tell her I don't want any, she tries to guilt me into eating some by telling me she made them especially for me, from scratch. Uh huh, well I'm still not going to eat them!
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Mine is always the same co-worker at my part-time job. She'll get some kind of fast food & will be stuffing her face with it and offer me some. When I say "No, thank you" she'll say "OK, but it's delicious!" and will take a few more bites, then ask again. Each time, I say "No, thank you". Finally, I'll reach a point when I'll say, "NO. I don't eat fried stuff anymore, it upsets my stomach." Then she'll make a big deal of eating the rest of it, like she's trying to tempt me, but it doesn't work.

The worst "food pusher" is my BOYFRIEND! We've been together for 5 years this weekend, and this is the lightest I've been in almost 3 years (I'm still a bit away from my lowest ever in our relationship though). He is proud of me for what I've accomplished, but if he (or our son) is eating something & he knows I like it, he'll tell me, "Take a bite if you want it." He has the best intentions, but I tell him no & that I am fine eating whatever it is I'm having right then (we usually eat the same things for dinner but if he's home for lunch then we eat different things). He'll leave it at that, though.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I am my food pusher! There are times when there are some small items being pushed, but no one has pushed back past me saying no. I even have a few people now at work that will bring me some very healthy snacks to help give me ideas. I work in a very ethnically diverse workplace, so I really do get some good ideas.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    What an *kitten*... If anyone tried that with me (people usually stop after I say No at least twice) I'd shove it in their face... Ahem!

Yeah like I said, when people try to get me to have something I usually can just say "No thank you" the first time and "Really, no thanks." a second time. If there's a third time I look them in the eye and say "I said No thank you, and I mean it. Please stop asking me." usually there's nothing after that.
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Distract with humour. I'd relate food pushing to drugs and make a silly comment or say "I'm not pushing my cucumbers on you." but always in a light hearted manner.

But what is a Whoopie Pie? Sounds rude.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to get "pushy" back. Look them in the eye, and very seriously say, "I don't mean to be rude, but I have decided to make a lifestyles change which doesn't include junk food. I appreciate your offer, but I have to politely decline." Then the next day, bring in a plate of veggies and pass them around to everyone. ha ha
    I think that a lot of these "food pushers" push their food and/or ideas onto others because they don't want to feel guilty, and you know the saying, "misery loves company". Stay strong! Hold to your convictions. No one else is responsible for you, but you!!! :smile:
  • 0b58uce67
    Options
    Hey, just tell that person that your body is temple......and be strong......:laugh:
  • marquesajen
    Options
    That is so rude! Just keep saying "no, thank you". Keep repeating it. If she doesn't back off maybe talk to your supervisor about her bullying you and how uncomfortable and disrespectful it is.
  • lamlam2468
    lamlam2468 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this post. I am having family down this weekend, and I know they will say "you're on a diet. It's a special weekend. Start again Monday." I hate that, as it makes me feel guilty for being on a diet. I then think, maybe they feel guilty for not being on a diet and watching what they eat. Either way, it's going to be a hard weekend... Plus the chance for increased exercise may not be there.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I always decline. If the food pusher keeps insisting , then I will take a slice or donut and tell them I will eat it after my lunch. I always put it in the trash can under losts of paper.

I hate wasting food but there is no way I'm going to eat food loaded with sugar to spike my insulin !!