Water

Options
Every weekday morning I have a 24 oz cup of coffee that is half decaf and half regular....does this count towards any of my water for the day? I assume no because it is partially caffeinated...but does it count for at least one water?

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would count all liquids consumed, aside from alcohol, towards my water. No real need to think just plain water counts.
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    A doctor told me that coffee does not count as water. He said that the water also needs to be cold, as it makes your body work harder to get your metabolism going.
  • veronicaxmorgan
    Options
    I wouldn't count anything except actual water towards your water count.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    As with any topic on this forum answers will be widespread. Even WW allows coffee to be counted. The body does have to work harder to use cold water but that is sometimes counter productive during intervals or heavy lifting. Bottom line is liquids keep the body hydrated...
  • Kelliegearlds
    Kelliegearlds Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually read or heard that for every cup of coffee you drink, you need to drink an extra cup of water because it dehydrates your body.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count anything except actual water towards your water count.

Why not? It is hydrating you.

It's 8 cups of fluid a day, not water. Tea, coffee, juice, soda, fruit, veg, etc. They all contain fluids that hydrate you. Sure, coffee will only hydrate you roughly 75% as much as a cup of neat water would, but it still hydrates you.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i only count plain water
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A doctor told me that coffee does not count as water. He said that the water also needs to be cold, as it makes your body work harder to get your metabolism going.

I agree and wouldn't count coffee as water. However I am not sure on the cold part. I have heard room temp water is the best....there is an argument for everything :).
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I actually read or heard that for every cup of coffee you drink, you need to drink an extra cup of water because it dehydrates your body.

Completely false. Many people only drink coffee. If your quote was true, they'd be dying of dehydration in a week...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I only count water. Nothing else.
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options

I think Kellie is right; I've heard this statement somewhere!
    I would ask your doctor maybe? It never hurts to drink more water though :)
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My MIL was suffering with dehydration , when visiting her in hospital I asked the dietitian if tea's and coffee etc could be counted towards her fluid intake and was told Yes they could as could the milk/yogurt based food supplement drinks she now has to take daily.
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, here we go!
    When in doubt, search the Mayo Clinic site.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Nice shirt!
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Cold water.. really? Dangit! I always drink luke warm water bc I have sensative teeth...
  • laurad1406
    Options
    this is me, personally....i only count water. I have other drinks here and there (hot tea usually) but I don't count them toward my water intake. I used to be a Diet Coke addict and definitely wasnt drinking enough water....now i've found i actually crave it and enjoy it, and I feel a LOT better (and I dont know for sure, but my skin also seems better since i've been drinking more plain water too)

Oh, and I normally drink it cold, but that's just because I prefer it that way haha
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    ALL liquids you drink hydrate you. If you drink a ton of water, AND a lot of other drinks at the same time, you risk over hydrating, which is just as dangerous as dehydrating.

The only liquid that has been proven in studies to dehydrate you is hard alcohol. All studies with caffeinated beverages have shown no link between caffeine and dehydration, as caffeine is only a diuretic in very high doses, and only with people who have no caffeine tolerance. If you drink coffee every day, it hydrates you just like water does. Coffee is 95% water. Actually, most drinks are 90% water or more. Why would they not count? A lot of foods you eat hydrate you also. Not all of your "water" needs to be from drinking.
  • melbell213
    Options

Nice shirt!

My shirt is way better!!!!
  • abraam
    Options
    I actually did read that coffee dehydrates you to some extent in a fitness magazine a while back. I think it's just because there's caffeine in it, and I don't think it actually dehydrates you THAT much, just some.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I think Kellie is right; I've heard this statement somewhere!
    I would ask your doctor maybe? It never hurts to drink more water though :)

No, that's a total myth. Caffeine can dehydrate you but you'd have to drink more than a whole pot to experience even a slight effect. Tea and coffee, as well as most other drinks, should be counted as water if you are logging water for hydration. If you add sugar or cream, then you should log those for calories, but they don't take away any of the water.