C section

Options
When can I start to workout after c section delivery?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    When can I start to workout after c section delivery?

When your doctor gives you the OK. I've had 3--the last 28 yrs ago. Do not start exercising too soon. You risk inside tears. My doctor told me that the stitches that you see on the outside are just a small fraction of what you've got inside.

You can lose weight, if that's your goal, by a calorie deficit. Then again, if you're breast feeding, you need enough calories to support that. Your doctor should be giving you all this information, after all, if you run into problems you'll wind up calling him, or her. Good luck.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    +1 suggestion to consult your doc and follow their advice. You're recovering from major abdominal surgery - even without all the stress from your hormones or the actual human baby you built from scratch, you want to take it as easy as possible and make sure you're good and healed before jumping into or back into exercise.
  • goldenleaf
    goldenleaf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do not exercise too soon. At the six week mark I was told I was clear released and so, of course, after 7 months of no running I wanted to go for a run. It was slow and I managed to open my wound. Don't do that. Hiking, light biking - take it easy. On the cellular level and emotionally your body will be very busy. I felt more myself after 8-10 weeks, and ran a marathon 11 months post birth. But, start really really slow. It took 2 years before I didn't feel some adhesion discomfort after a long run. I wonder if I had taken slower earlier if that would not have occurred.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice from all above. I exercised too soon, but gently, and had pain. Just wait, it will be worth it.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Only your doctor can tell you that for certain. There can be a blanket recommendations BUT your doctor and only *YOUR* doctor knows your specific situation - only they can assess where you are in terms of healing, any possible complications, etc etc.