Looking for older, diabetic and/or bariatric friends...

Options
Hi, I'm "back in the saddle" after bariatric surgery and a 30 lb regain over 8 years. Looking for some new friends to share with - not only bariatric friends - but I need to stick closer to a diabetic/low carb meal plan. Looking forward to meeting new people on this journey...I'm over 60 and so have a few health challenges like bad arthritis and osteoporosis...

Replies

• GennieBreeze
    GennieBreeze Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    @pskeiper hello 👋 I have the same problem with arthritis pain as well.
  • sandit60
    sandit60 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello. I have the same problem also. I went to the doc yesterday and he told me I am pre-diabetic...120 Average Blood Sugar and A1C of 6.1. He told me I need to lose about 60 pounds. I see him again In january..I go every 3 months. I am 65 and have arthritis in the right knee that is killing me but my doc says losing weight will help...bologna, I had surgery about 4 years ago and he removed part of my meniscus..told me then I would eventually need replacement as I had a ton of arthritis in that knee. I also have back arthritis too. I use a cane most days. I have set my calories for 1,450 daily but it's hard to keep carbs down. Any suggestions?
  • Diabeticdiva69
    Diabeticdiva69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Type 2 Diabetic here 53 yrs old just learning about diabetes and eating low carb
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,671 Member
    Options
    I too am T2 Diabetic ... 50 year old female and back on Keto as of today .... You are welcome to add me ... Wishing you much success :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,301 Member
    Options
    Those of y'all looking for connections on MFP with older folks, and who are 60+ (or getting close), might enjoy participating in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up#latest

It's very active, everyone is in that 60-ish and up age range, there are some who are diabetic or pre-diabetic, various types of dieting strategies represented, and different people in different phases of weight management, from just starting out, through maintaining a healthy weight. Like any long-time thread here, you'll find newer posts at the end (higher-numbered pages), so don't worry if you open it up and the first page looks old. It's still active.

I'm 65, maintaining a healthy weight for 5+ years now, after losing from obese to a healthy level back in 2015-16 after around 3 previous decades of overweight/obesity.
  • Kath8225
    Kath8225 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    57 year old female here. Recent bloodwork showed elevated Glucose levels and A1C of 6.1 - have to recheck in December. I have been eating low carb and walking at least 30 minutes 5 days/week for the last 4 weeks and lost about 8 lbs so far (awaiting an appointment with a dietitian).
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    @pskeiper @sandit60 , You could join #Low carber daily forum and # Type 2 diabetes support group.🙂