Muscle toning

Options
Beccalouise09
Beccalouise09 Posts: 128 Member
Hey everyone how are you all doing with your goals?

I am aiming for a whole body muscle tone goal where I do not have muscle standing out but got the tone showing. However I would like some tips on how to work towards it, at the moment in time I have been advised to eat whatever I like so long as I cut out the sweets, crisps and sugars but have sugar still in coffee or tea. I have dropped all pizza takeout or anything in takeaways since July, and stopped having sweets for a good solid month. I have also been going to a gym since the 14th of April. I checked my weight regularly after every two weeks. I am currently stuck on 7 stone 8lbs to 7 stone 13 lbs, but am afraid to go to being 8 or 9 stone as it reduces the speed I can walk, can carry bags and everything. I am really anxious about this weight stuff and how it effects me physically if I go to being anything close to 9 stone.

So is there anything else I am forgetting, or if there is anywhere I am going wrong, by all means let me know?

Replies

• drinkhorlicks
    drinkhorlicks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Muscle tone is overrated. I believe in core strength more than muscle tone
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Are you following a resistance training program using progressive overload? In other words following a program that involves lifting, pushing, and pulling increasingly heavier weights. You won’t bulk up overnight but will get the tight, toned look that you desire.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    Okay to clear this up "muscle toning" is the act of resistance training that tones up the muscle for whatever activity/sport one participates in. Magazines and uniformed websites have followed using the word "toning/tone" as a state of physical appearance when in reality there's no actual definition for it since it's subjective.
    So IF you don't want muscle to show, then don't get your body fat too low. If you want "muscle tone" then you work on a program that uses a progressive overload system that challenges the muscle to help "harden" it up. Full body workouts are best for this and there are thousands of programs out there. I usually make sure that every client I have that wants this, does at least one exercise per body part and for at least 3 sets of 6-12 repetitions with weight resistance that challenges you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Beccalouise09
    Beccalouise09 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Okay to clear this up "muscle toning" is the act of resistance training that tones up the muscle for whatever activity/sport one participates in. Magazines and uniformed websites have followed using the word "toning/tone" as a state of physical appearance when in reality there's no actual definition for it since it's subjective.
    So IF you don't want muscle to show, then don't get your body fat too low. If you want "muscle tone" then you work on a program that uses a progressive overload system that challenges the muscle to help "harden" it up. Full body workouts are best for this and there are thousands of programs out there. I usually make sure that every client I have that wants this, does at least one exercise per body part and for at least 3 sets of 6-12 repetitions with weight resistance that challenges you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Ah okay thank you for the advice. Since making this post I have been doing 3 to 5 sets of 5 reps of everything I do with weights and cable workouts. Trying to get up to doing 5 sets and so far so good.