Sweet potatoes

Options
JoLeeFA
JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
I am not a big fa of sweet potatoes. But I really like the nutritional benefits I read about them.

How do you cook/prepare your sweet potatoes?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I bake them in the oven and just eat them plain. I sometimes make sweet potato fries, too.

I like them, though.
  • jeanie✰
    Options
    I cut them up like french fries and toss them in a Tupperware container with about 1/2 tsp olive oil until they're all pretty covered. I then bake them at 350 degrees in the oven for a while. (Not sure how long, honestly =[) Ta da! Baked french fries.
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I just poke em with a fork a bunch of times, cook at 400 degrees for about 45-50 mins, then spread a little bit of butter on em! You can keep it simple that way, or add cinnamon, brown sugar, marshmellows, etc...
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I bake mine off, have a little cinnamon and brown sugar on them and call it good. I also love them roasted with some red onions and a little bit of salt and pepper.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Mashed.
  • muffin2760
    muffin2760 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can bake them in the oven until tender. Split open and add a little butter
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    bake them/microwave them and put salsa on them. But the best:

Cut them into wedges, mix together chipotle powder, salt, pepper, olive oil. Mix in potato wedges to coat. Bake for 25 minutes or until fork tender at 425 degrees. YUMMY!!!!
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    All of the above!!!!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I like them with brown sugar and Smart balance light butter melted on them.

Because I like the brown sugar on them I dont' eat them very often lol

BUT I LOVE THEM.

I also like sweet potatoes and red potatoes chopped up, and cooked in the oven with olive oil garlic powder and italian seasoning sprinkled over the top. Sometiems I even throw a little parmesan over the top.

YUM!
  • BrickHouse2011
    BrickHouse2011 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat them the soul food way. lol slice them up with a little butter and sugar and vanilla throw them in a skillet until tender.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have a great way - peel and slice a couple of sweet potatoes and a couple of regular potatoes, slice a yellow onion. Put them all in a gallon size bag and shake around with black pepper, paprika, seasoned salt (if not on low sodium diet) and a little bit of olive oil. The wrap all of it up in aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes. They are all squishy and yummy.

Before diet I used to top them as a baked potato - with sour cream, butter, chives, cheese, bacon... so bad but yummy. They are good by themselves, but now I add (just a little) reduced fat cheese, light sour cream, sometimes just salsa. I hope you enjoy!
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    sometimes i bake them just like a regular potato and then put a little bit of butter & cinnamon sugar/brown sugar on them (yum)

you can also slice them very thin (like potato chip thin) and spray with cooking spray and bake in a hot oven on a cookie sheet to make sweet potato chips (watch them for cooking time)

I also make my own sweet potato fries in the oven from time to time. peel and cut into long square sticks, spray with cooking spray or toss in olive oil and then season with whatever you like - I do paprika, garlic, a bit of cayenne pepper and some salt

I've also done twice baked sweet potatoes, there's recipes online for them, mmm
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I buy the microwavable ones... with splenda and a dash of cinnomen...

This is the only way that Iike mine
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    EFFIN' love sweet potatoes!!!
  • RodSurly
    RodSurly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add. Just marking this for future reference. Great ideas. Thanks!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    :smile: I wash mine & throw it in the oven until the candy runs! They are delish!! (I am impatient, so I cook mine on 500*)

You'll know they are done when you smell something that smells a little burnt (it's the "candy" that's runnning out & cooking on the pan - don't forget to spray your pan with Pam or you'll never get that candy off). You should be able to stick a fork in it & feel no resistance.

Then you peel the skin off & cut it down the middle (although I smush mine). You can eat it plain or add cinnamon. I don't add brown sugar b/c I think it's sweet enough with out, but you can if you can afford the calories. I also don't eat butter on mine, but some people do. I use the Kernal Seasonings Butter (popcorn seasoning) -it's like 5 cals & tastes great!

Enjoy!
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Try sweet potato mashed potatoes, they are made just the exact same way as regular mashed potatoes, minus the gravy!

I also like to make fried mixed potatoes with pretty much any kind of potato you have sliced thin, throw together with some olive oil and toss it in a skillet with some sliced onion and cook over medium heat until they are soft and browned. Throw in sliced onions, carrots, peppers, or any other veggies you might have laying around. Its a treat for an extra calorie kind of day. You can balance it out with some healthy egg white on the side!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I love them - but I don't get this adding sweet flavours such as sugar or cinnamon to them! (Maybe that's cos I'm in the UK).

Mashed - prick with a fork, zap in the microwave for about 6 mins, scoop out the flesh and mash with a little olive oil and black pepper.

Wedges - cut into quarters or 6ths depending on size, toss in a littel oil, sprinkle with sea salt and bake in the oven for 20 mins till soft.

Roast roots - mix cubed peeled sweet potatoes with similar sized chunks of squash, parsnip, carrot. Place in a large baking/ roasting tray with a drizlle of oil. Tuck some red onion pieces and sprigs of rosemary among the cubes. Roast fro abotu an hour, until tender. I like to add some cubes of haloumi or feta to this about 20 mins before serving - great vegetarian dish! Blitz any leftovers with some good stock for a hearty soup.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato pie!! -- oh wait, that defeats the purpose, doesn't it. :laugh:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Mash and add them to oatmeal. Maybe include a tiny splash of vanilla or maple syrup for a little extra flavor.