I dont know where to begin!

Options
I was on here a few months ago..this site is great but....I need help! I don't know where to begin...I want to eat better but stay full so that I don't binge eat and I will be starting a step program at home (when the video arrives this week) It's a beginners step, I need that!
Where do I start? Help!
Thanks

Replies

• lslough
    lslough Posts: 32
    Options
    I was on here a few months ago..this site is great but....I need help! I don't know where to begin...I want to eat better but stay full so that I don't binge eat and I will be starting a step program at home (when the video arrives this week) It's a beginners step, I need that!
    Where do I start? Help!
    Thanks
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    make a plan of attack you cant do this willynilly..you need to set out a time when you will excercise and also pre plan meals...keep your promises to yourself thats the main thing.....good luck:drinker:
  • lslough
    Options
    thanks!
  • Jamie_W
    Jamie_W Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped my husband and I is the biggest loser cookbook. We go to super walmart and get a bunch of 100 or less calories snacks to have on hand. Along with fresh fruit. Eat every 3 hours to keep your metabolism up, even if you don't feel hungary, but don't eat 3 hours before bed. Drink lots of water!! Some days are harder than others but we'll make it thru this one day at a time - one pound at a time!!!
  • lslough
    Options
    sound advice!
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I would say make sure that you are ready to make the change. When I started I was so gunhoe about doing this and lost 10 pounds in my first month, I was so excited about it. I was working out 3-5 days a week and then I got sick and then it went down hill from there. I have been battling some other medical problems and I am getting back into the swing of everything again. I lost as much as 17 pounds and I am back up to almost my starting weight again. I am not sure why, but I know it is going to be a long hard road for me, but just make sure that you keep track of what you eat and try to exercise as much as you can and have a great support system. I love the people here because the support is here, and I have met so many people.

Good luck and we are here to help you!!!!!
  • lslough
    Options
    I like your crunches ticker!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If I understand your post, you are looking for ideas on eating better but staying full.....

I'm that way myself. I like food and I don't like feeling hungry. There are a few things you can do:

1. Eat mini-meals (5 or 6 a day) about 3 hours apart.

2. Make sure you get a lean protien with each meal. It will make you feel full longer.

3. Make sure you get enough healthy fat in your diet. One of the mistakes people make is to assume that fat is bad. You have to have enough fat in your diet or you'll lack energy.

4. Avoid refined carbs and sugars. In my personal opinion, they trigger hunger/binge type behaviors.

5. Lots of veggies and salads. If you want to stay full you need to choose low calorie but high bulk foods. So veggies and salads make great fillers. Just be careful not to pile on high fat salad dressing. Crunchy veggies also make good snacks as they satisfy your need to chew and take a while to eat.

6. I don't recommend the "100 Calorie" snack packs. Most of them are lacking in nutrition and the portions are so small that they are just a tease. However, the single serving 100 calorie microwave popcorn is a pretty good snack. It's relatively good for you compared to many snacks and it's really bulky so if you have a single serving bag with some water you'll feel full for quite a while.

7 Drink plenty of water. Often times people mistake thirst for hunger. When you're feeling hungry drink some water. If you were thirsty, the hunger pangs will go away.

Those are some of my tricks...hope it helps.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Before I found MFP I started by planning my meals for the day and sticking to my plan. Those meals were probably a lot higher calorie than what I eat now but just starting to follow a plan and stop all the impulse eating was a huge step.

I made the decision to stay out of restaurants for awhile. I made a rule for myself to not accept any food that was offered to me (that fit in with my pre-planned meals----if I hadn't planned to eat it then I couldn't eat it).

later I began counting calories and learning more about nutrition and how to make a good meal plan with lean protein, vegetables, salad. I try to get the most nutrition for my calories.

what I've done so far has been doing it one day at a time and taking baby steps

The meal I make in the middle of the day for my husband and me is huge---4-6 ounces of lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish), a big serving of fresh or frozen vegetables with I Can't Believe It's Not butter spray, and a big salad with spray dressing. the eating plan my husband follows requires that his midday meal be between 400-600 calories and we're both full when we're done.:bigsmile:

good luck on your journey:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: