2»

Replies

• cortez1954
    Options
    :smile: luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv sweet potatoes
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    But really.....how about mashed with a touch of maple syrup and cinnamon?

Or with nutmeg. Mmmmmm.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fa of sweet potatoes. But I really like the nutritional benefits I read about them.

How do you cook/prepare your sweet potatoes?

I grew up thinking I didn't like sweet potatoes because I'd only ever had them served sweetened, either with brown sugar or marshmallows (the worst!!). But I love them when cooked with a little savory seasonings.

My favorite is to chop them into little cubes and saute them in olive oil with onions until they are carmelized and season with just a little black pepper.

Baked and topped with sauted onion and/or mushrooms is also really good.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I buy the microwavable ones...
    How would these be different than "regular" ones? I am pretty sure you can just put a sweet potato in the microwave, just as you would a white/russet potato.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Roasted in the Oven with Olive oil, salt ,pepper, paprika and garlic...
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries and Shepherds Pie made with sweet potatoes.

K
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Candied lime sweet potatoes. Heaven! (http://veganyumyum.com/2007/11/candied-lime-sweet-potatoes/)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I used to hate sweet potatoes, I started liking them when I mixed them with white potatoes and made "breakfast potatoes" and mashed potatoes, then I'd eat just the sweet potato with butter and brown sugar, the other night I had one baked and I added a tablespoon of Philadelphia Honey Nut cream cheese. I've gotten to the point where I'll eat them any way but raw. :) sooo delicious, especially with asparagus.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I used to hate sweet potatoes
    I still do...
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I used to hate sweet potatoes
    I still do...

You poor, poor, soul. Actually, no, I'll just eat sweet potatoes on your behalf.
  • ljjorgensen
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes but have never eaten them with salt and pepper or olive oil. I either bake them or put them in the microwave when done take smart balance light and add cinnamon and equal and mix together. Then I put the cinnamon spread mix on top of the baked sweet potato, tastes like Texas Roadhouse Sweet Potatoes. YUMMY!!!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love them - but I don't get this adding sweet flavours such as sugar or cinnamon to them! (Maybe that's cos I'm in the UK).

I'm from America but I don't understand it either. In my area, everyone serves them sweetened. Even sweet potato fries are usually served with cinammon and sugar. It's pretty disgusting really.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Are we all just talking about the sweet potatoes with the orange-colored flesh or are you also talking about the light-colored ones with the yellowish flesh?

My husband really likes the orange ones, sweetened. I prefer the light ones, especially cubed and mixed with plain potatoes and onions and spices.