Exercises I can do with a broken toe

Options
Hi everyone, I started my weight loss and fitness journey 2 weeks ago but last Friday I broke my toe and cannot weight bear on that foot. I was wondering what exercises I could do that doesn’t involve standing or sitting on the floor. I do have an exercise bike I gingerly use but I’m looking for variation as I’m missing my daily walks and the feel good factor I had afterwards. Many thanks for any help and advice.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The bike might be your best option, honestly. Are you able to swim?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've broken my big toe on my right foot about 5 times. The bike is probably your best option. I mostly cycle, so I was always able to just keep on riding, though I do it outside and just avoided mountain biking and stuck to the road for awhile. Good news is that it heals pretty quickly in terms of being able to bear weight on it again...you'll get a nice reminder though every time you bump it on something.

I've broken mine so many times that lunges are difficult in the gym as that toe just doesn't want to flex the way it used to.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Just about anything you can tolerate the pain without it getting worse. Main thing is avoid jolting action.

Squatting, deadlifts, leg press, etc...for resistance training.

Cycle, rowing, etc...for cardio.
  • sparklesbug
    sparklesbug Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the help, I can’t swim very well, I didn’t enjoy learning it as a teen. I’ll stick with the bike for now and will look online for strengthening exercises for my arms.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Thank you for the help, I can’t swim very well, I didn’t enjoy learning it as a teen. I’ll stick with the bike for now and will look online for strengthening exercises for my arms.

Sounds sensible, though with that fixed seat biking I'd keep glutes, hams, back and overall mobility in mind, e.g.

https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/hip-extension

I'd throw in ball or mat crunch and lower ab variations lifting instead of putting weight on the feet.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bike you can ride outside? That's my second choice after walking.
  • sparklesbug
    sparklesbug Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi yayamom3 I only have an exercise bike and my toe is still swollen and sore that I can’t get footwear on. Only a few more weeks before I can go walking again (that’s what I keep saying to myself) in the meantime I’ll use my exercise bike and try not to overeat.
  • coryhart4389
    coryhart4389 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    In college I played football and hurt my ankle badly; had to concentrate on PT..my lifting partner, mike, said why have you stopped lifting. My response was, "I'm hurt and have to rehabilitate my ankle". He said, "you can't train your upper body", with a puzzled look!!!! It's something I've tried to keep me motivated my entire life!! You can't train chest, back, shoulders with a broken toe? My knee is hurt now due to pickleball, spent 2 hours lifting weights today... maybe this can motive you to lift weights?
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Seated curls, overhead press, bench press. Sit-ups, crunches, leg raise. There’s plenty you can do off your feet.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've broken a toe 2 or 3 times, I lost count. Do what doesn't hurt. Swimming isn't a bad idea. Chair exercises or seated exercises - chair zumba, etc. Kickboxing but just upper body obviously.