Old Fashioned

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    smdzz75i5dwy.jpg

Fixed line clothesline

I've never seen one of those in the U.S. Just the ones people have been calling rotary clothes lines, and lines strung between poles (sometimes just one long one, sometimes multiple poles and lines.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Retractable clotheslines are used here too, they usually have several rows of lines, I just thought 2 pictures was enough.,
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Retractable clotheslines are used here too, they usually have several rows of lines, I just thought 2 pictures was enough.,

Let's have a picture of the retractable clothesline as well :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    smdzz75i5dwy.jpg

Fixed line clothesline

I've never seen one like this.

Mom's three clotheslines just go from the house to a tree, or tree to tree.

We are putting in a dryer when we move it. We are also putting in a cat fence, which will kill one of the clotheslines. I think my brother will switch to the dryer, in which case there will be plenty of space for my mother on the remaining two lines, but if not will put one of these free standing lines down in the field.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited October 2021
    I tend to live in flats with small kitchens, and I don't like to have stuff standing around everywhere. As such I don't have a kitchen machine. When needed I use mortar and pestle, or other analogue things. My home entertainment kit is somewhat limited as well: an ultrabook that is great for traveling as well and a smartphone. That's all. I don't really watch tv, thus that's enough. I totally ignore internet of things stuff anyway. So I guess I'm old-fashioned? My cleaning though looks like this: Put small brush on vacuum cleaner and vacuum all dust, take off remaining dust with a rag. Vacuum flat. Done. :D
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    edited October 2021
    I love my thirteen year old Smart car because it’s so basic, and it’s fun to drive. I would go insane with dashboard consoles, integrated smart functions, electric seats, and buttons galore. When we rent cars with those things, we are all aflutter with confusion and distraction.

Get in. Turn the key, and drive. The only decision is top up, or down?

@yirara our “new” house has a tiny kitchen, with half the storage and counter space our old one had. I’ve gone through several times and brutally gotten rid of stuff. It seems a lot easier to manage with fewer appliances and gadgets.

My favorite “old fashioned” kitchen implement is a hand beater. I use it every day. It’s oxo’s brilliantly engineered version, though. And I still use the dollar store wooden spoons the girls gave me for Christmas when they were little. Man, those things are old as dirt, now that I think about it!
  • yirara
    @springlering62 I usually have about 3m kitchen space. If I'm lucky. My latest place only has about 2.5m, including a dishwasher. That's just too little and so I need to find a cheap solution to put a few more cupboards in. The workspace is just about sufficient, but the kettle needs to go somewhere, a microwave, plus all my pots of spices and herbs.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Rotary clothes line here as well. After my traditional T pole base rotted, I went rotary. It can hold three large loads of laundry.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    edited October 2021
    yirara wrote: »
    @springlering62 I usually have about 3m kitchen space. If I'm lucky. My latest place only has about 2.5m, including a dishwasher. That's just too little and so I need to find a cheap solution to put a few more cupboards in. The workspace is just about sufficient, but the kettle needs to go somewhere, a microwave, plus all my pots of spices and herbs.

Our daughter’s previous kitchen in a German attic was about that size and was a one sided galley kitchen with a blank wall on the other. The kitchen formed a narrow walkway into the bedroom.

We hung some of these for spices and other small items and it didn’t eat into the walkway too much.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/bekvaem-spice-rack-aspen-20487175/

Now that I’m looking at them I’m having a hmmmmm moment. I wonder if I could stick these inside the pantry door with Command Velcro strips. Spices take up darned much room.
  • al0481113
    al0481113 Posts: 67 Member
    Well, I use modern appliances for cleaning my house (to save me time) but I don't really shopping for groceries because I grow almost everything on my farm....And I also make homemade lotions so I know that it doesn't contain any unwanted ingredients)))))
  • kshama2001

Our daughter’s previous kitchen in a German attic was about that size and was a one sided galley kitchen with a blank wall on the other. The kitchen formed a narrow walkway into the bedroom.

We hung some of these for spices and other small items and it didn’t eat into the walkway too much.

Now that I’m looking at them I’m having a hmmmmm moment. I wonder if I could stick these inside the pantry door with Command Velcro strips. Spices take up darned much room.

While looking for a meme for "too many spices" I found this and now can't get the song out of my head :lol:

0lcuo6j9k0xp.png
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited October 2021
    We have a dryer in our home in NYC and a backyard clothesline in our home in Rome. So .. I guess it is cultural. Lol

(Although we did have a clothesline growing up…many in nyc did or do, it’s more recent to not have a ton of clotheslines when you peek into the backyard in NY.)

I cook many things from scratch daily and have a little garden. I’d have to say that’s where my old fashioned ends though.. almost every other part of my life includes technology or modern appliances. I just found out about the mop roomba! 😮

Does cooking with cast iron or copper give me a point? 😉
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    I love my thirteen year old Smart car because it’s so basic, and it’s fun to drive. I would go insane with dashboard consoles, integrated smart functions, electric seats, and buttons galore. When we rent cars with those things, we are all aflutter with confusion and distraction.

Both of my vehicles (car and truck) were 2000 vintage and I found the technology leap a bit much whenever I was suddenly thrust into a rental that looked more like the cockpit of a small jet than a car. Worse, this usually happens on a work trip so I'm leaving an airport and heading out on a highway, learning at high speed. :o
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    smdzz75i5dwy.jpg

Fixed line clothesline

I've never seen one like this.

Quite c ommon here, especially in smaller yards

Ours is like that but attached to back wall of house rather than free standing.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Ummm, no. If i could cram more things into my dishwasher, or get more machines to do my bidding, I would. Give me modern conveniences any day!!!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    The dishwasher is the one modern convenience I will not do without.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member

[
    MsCzar wrote: »
    My parents were children of the Great Depression and were young folk during the second World War. Self-sufficiency and frugality were the order of the day. So I still:

Dry clothes outdoors, boiler room drying in the winter.
    Home can my own garden which I grow from seeds
    Make my own pectin
    Bake my own bread
    Use an old fashioned gas cooker
    Hand grind bread crumbs
    Make my own yogurt
    Drink stove-top percolated coffee
    Dry herbs from my garden
    Don't have a smart phone!
    Newest vehicle is 10+ year old
    Use paper maps
    Pick wild berries, forage greens & mushrooms
    Make my own laundry detergent
    I can (but don't) sew my own clothes

I know how to do most of those, and have actually done them in the past, with some consistency. (Exceptions: I know how to make pectin, haven't done it. I'm not sure what an "old fashioned gas cooker" is, but I cook on a gas stove routinely, and have cooked lots on a propane gas stove, including at home during power outages. I 100% have a smart phone, and would dislike to do without it. I've never made my own laundry detergent.) I've done all the rest, for fairly long periods of time, including a period when I made a large fraction of my own clothes.

I don't choose to, now, mostly. There are comparable-quality commercial options, and I feel truly fortunate to be able to afford them, though I'm not by any means wealthy.

Occasionally, I bake bread. (Not a big bread eater.) I use whole bean coffee, grind it at home, but don't like perked (I use a pour-through porcelain drip thingie). I mostly use the garden herbs fresh. My only motorized vehicle is a 2009 model. (The oldest non-motorized one here was made in 1913. 😉😆).

quote="MsCzar;c-46325191"]The dishwasher is the one modern convenience I will not do without. [/quote]

I've never lived anywhere that had one available to use. Still don't. Sounds good, though. That's one thing, through the pandemic: I'm pretty bored with washing dishes, TBH.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Australian (North of Queensland)
    I use a vacuum (many animals and hair), or broom if I don't feel like vacuuming. Cook most things from scratch, my garden is currently only growing peas and two pumpkins with flowers in the other beds (I decided I had too many hobbies).
    I use my washing machine every day and unfortunately with the recent crime wave locally I am also using my dryer instead of hanging items on my DIY clothes lines under my publicly accessible car port. I have one of the fixed washing lines that a pic was posted of earlier but it is attached to the wall beneath my upstairs neighbours deck and so I get dust and water/miscellaneous dripping liquids coming down from above which is frustrating.
    I use an electric cooktop and oven but would prefer to cook with gas, at least on the cooktop.
    I don't have to iron clothing much but I do like the crispness of an ironed shirt or skirt.
    I do sew many of my own clothes, or alter those I can find at op-shops. My sewing machines are both electric, as is the overlocker.
    I live 1km from my work so try to walk to work at least 3 days a week, although that may change when the summer storm season arrives.

I have found this thread *really* interesting! My brain keeps conjuring up the scent of fresh bedding straight off the clothesline in the sun... mmmmmm
  • yirara

I have about 1.5x4m left in my kitchen. Thus I could easily put in some second-hand kitchen cabinets. Or some second-hand Malm or similar Ikea cabinets. If all fails, I'm a total fan of Ikea Knoxhult: fun to build, and lots of worktop and storage space. That's better than drilling holes into the wall to fit spice cabinets as I need to fix this all when I move out again. Plus I have about 40 spice pots!