Overeating food

Options
I’m using food scale I walk 23 minutes like six days a week I strength train before I walk in morning I drink water. But most days I’m over my calories by like 600 calories: one day last week i was over by 2000 to be honest. I’m down 14 pounds from highest wait. I was 31 pounds down last month . But I got spooked and thought wow how the hell did I do that. And thought my scale wasn’t working then I got a accurate scale on Amazon. I’m thinking everyday is not going to be perfect just keep tracking and using scale and give it time in august I was under most day by like two hundred calories. So let me know.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Let you know... what?

Can you open your diary so we can follow along with what you are saying? Are you eating over your calories or eating under them?

Are you down 14 pounds or down 31 pounds? Some of your initial weight loss is likely water weight, which is normal.

In any case, no, every day will not be perfect. What is important is to make sure you are weighing and logging your food as accurately as possible. And it is very easy to THINK you are doing it correctly but not being doing it correctly. Between making mistakes in weighing and choosing inaccurate database entries, it is easy to eat more than you think you are. But that does not seem to be a problem here (but is always good to make sure you are doing things right)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • Purplestuff102
    Purplestuff102 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Down 16 I keep eating too much food like the amount I keep tracking but I'm over my calories by like 1500 most days I realized I'm not having a serving I have been having like 2 or three servings . There has been trial and error for a while now. First the calories would never adjust when I lost 10 pounds. Then I wasnt using my food scale and now I'm over eating. I know now how to force update to calorie goal when I lose weight. I have been consistently using food scale but I have been consistently over eating any tips ? I'm going go try to have 1 serving of foods I normally eat And add fruits and vegetables walking is no problem I walk every day about 22 minutes and strength train and drink water .
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Figure out why you're overeating. Is your calorie goal too extreme, are you eating due to stress/emotions, or are you feeling 'hungry' often during the day?

If your calorie goal is too extreme: if you're aiming to lose 2 pounds per week, perhaps try for 1 pound a week instead. That increases your goal daily by 500 but still has you losing weight gradually.

If you are eating from stress/emotions - come up with a plan instead of food. You could try doing something physical like going for a walk or hitting a punching bag. Or something to occupy your mind & hands like working on a jigsaw puzzle. Or something that you find relaxing like music.

If you are on a reasonable calorie target and you're still hungry often, try drinking more water. If after 20-30 minutes you're still hungry have a portion controlled snack. And think about what you're eating, if it is not keeping you satisfied, you could try increasing fiber or protein. If you're eating a lot of processed food, you may find it is just not keeping you full.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Step back. How long have you been at this?
    How long strength training? How much are you trying to lose?

A plan we won’t follow is not a good plan. Plus aiming at a number we never, or rarely hit undermines our confidence. Successful weight loss has two parts, eating in a calorie deficit and living with it.

Try this. With the setting on sedentary, use MFP to calculate a calorie target to maintain your current weight. Can you plan a menu to hit that number and stick to it? When you have control of that try a modest deficit. Can you stick to that? Once you find the seat spot of weight loss at a livable calorie target the rest is just fine tuning.

An issue, and I’ve got personal experience with this- how demanding are your workouts? A lot of exercise is basically recreation. But some crosses the line into training and weights can cross that line fast.
    I’ve had days where I went flying out of the gym to scarf down the fastest fast food I could get my hands on. Then I learned how to fuel my workouts. A high level of fitness with weight loss can take tight margins.

Keep working and you’ll get this. The calculators can give us starting points but only trial and error gives us solutions. Plus there’s always a need for more tinkering and adjusting. Never quit. Good luck.
  • Purplestuff102
    Options
    Exercise and strength training are no problem and water intake too. Exercise is walking in morning about 22 minutes which is 2000 steps for me strength training is about 10 minutes . I have weight loss set to 1lb a week maybe I need .5 because I have never lost weight consistently . I have a desk job but I work out everyday so I put it to sedentary because when I come home I watch tv. I'm a little slow I need help with this it got excellent reviews In the app store and consumer reports rated it number one do it yourself weight loss app. Some thing around app calories goal or something is not working around the food .
  • Purplestuff102
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 46 pounds I'm down 14
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    That's great.. keep doing what you're doing.. It takes time. That's the truth...but before you know it.. you will be a new you.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading "Hungry: Lessons Learned on the Journey from Fat to Thin". It really gave me some insight into my over eating. Being an over eater isn't really something that goes away until it's addressed. You can lose weight over and over again, but until you *get it* and just accept that's who you are and how to work with it, you will keep gaining it back. Hoping the lessons I've learned from that help keep me on track.
  • berkleytawanda
    berkleytawanda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Trying drinking hot tea when youre hungry. Give you a warm full belly.
  • Purplestuff102
    Options
    Hey guys and ladies I changed my eating to something healthy that I can see myself eating for life. But before I was eating alot of processed food . Now I have like low fat dairy lean meats frozen vegetables without sauce brown rice fresh fruits olive oil almonds or walnuts and I drink water. And oatmeal not packet ones . And I'm terrified I may succeed but I have a like self sabotage thing going on . I think this time around I need to eat until I reach calorie allotment for the day . The foods I'm eating have fiber and protein so I'm thinking I'm going to be under calorie goals and I saw a list of nutrient or calorie dense food on here too. Any tips for me I'm great at fitness and exercise I have pedometer in phone and I strength train in morning before I go for my walk daily. I just keep thinking I'm not going to make calorie goal and I will have to force my self to eat any tips welcome I'm open I have about 100 pounds to lose 6 foot 9 four hundred pounds. I set calorie s to lose 1 pound a week and I know how to force app to update calorie goal if I lose or gain weight because before it would never move.