Sea salted crisps that have 0 sodium level??

Options
Hi - yet another daft one - sorry guys. I've decided to track my sodium levels..and one of my regular 'treats' is a pack of sea salted crisps. Looking at the nutritional values it's saying a value of 0 for sodium. Now that can't be right because on the front of the pack it says 0.34g salt, 6% of an adults GDA.
So how come it's registering as 0? That seems extremely low for the product it is...

Replies

• jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would assume that when someone entered it they omitted the sodium in the nutritional information because there is definitely sodium on those crisps! ;} Which brand do you eat? Are there more than one in the system, if so try using a different one.
  • papa5280
    Options
    Or, if you have a phone with the mobile app, you can scan the bar code, which will get it right.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Or you can edit what is already in the system under the brand you have.

But, as everyone else has said, the reason is that whoever entered it didn't care about the sodium and only entered the basic info.
  • mmmichelle8486
    mmmichelle8486 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Or, if you have a phone with the mobile app, you can scan the bar code, which will get it right.

The barcodes are not always accurate, nor are they always linked to the exact product.... sometimes they are linked to a similar product of a different brand.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Aaaagh! I figured out what was wrong. The person who did it before put in sodium 0.13g. So me being an idiot thought ahhhh they've done it wrong and I put in the actual salt value 0.34g. But it's not measured in grams is it :embarassed: it's measured in milligrams in which case it is 340mg.
    Only - now I can't change it.
    Nevermind, I'll add it manually myself.

It's Walkers Crinkles Simply Sea Salted if anyone fancies having a go at changing it...as it now won't let me.
    I am obviously having a 'bluntest tool in the shed' day.
  • papa5280
    Options

The barcodes are not always accurate, nor are they always linked to the exact product.... sometimes they are linked to a similar product of a different brand.

Agreed....but, most of the time, I've found if the bar code is in the database, it's usually close enough for my purposes...and a heckuvalot easier than keying it in. It's funny, I've found out how many of the private-label or store brands are produced by the same manufacturer this way.
  • mmmichelle8486
    mmmichelle8486 Posts: 269 Member
    Options

Agreed....but, most of the time, I've found if the bar code is in the database, it's usually close enough for my purposes...and a heckuvalot easier than keying it in. It's funny, I've found out how many of the private-label or store brands are produced by the same manufacturer this way.

Agreed on the point of finding out the manufacturers, I thought that was funny... but some of them that I have tried were inaccurate. I just meant that if she used the barcode she should still check the info as it may be wrong. I use the barcode scanner quite often as well :)