Meniere's Low Sodium Diet

Options
Looking to follow/friend those with low sodium diet for treatment of Meniere's. Need food suggestions and encouragement. Thanks!

Replies

• booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't have Meniere's but I eat less sodium than most to stay off BP meds. How much sodium can you eat a day?
  • TonyaFred
    TonyaFred Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would like to follow as well . Please share any good recipes that you have. I need to reduce my blood pressure.
  • booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't have specific recipes, as much as strategies:

Very, very few prepared foods.
    -Jarred marinara as a base for a vegetable soup (spread over 24 servings).
    -Canned tuna or salmon rarely, 2-3 oz. per day when I do.

Low sodium beans or home cooked beans. I have 1/3 cup dished out already for dinner which I sprinkled last night with Italian blend herbs.

Unsalted nuts. I first bought lightly salted and then mixed them with more and more of the unsalted until I found I enjoyed the unsalted version.

I love Indian food and use much of that spice palette in my non-Indian dishes.

I learned to like unsalted chicken soup with some MD approved sodium substitute blend (some sodium).

Spiced oatmeal from scratch with a small amount of the substitute.

I take chicken and liberally coat with Italian spice blend and air fry or broil Have done that with a cumin-based mix as well.

I don't eat bread; my carbs are mainly from lentils, beans, quinoa, oats, and milk/yogurt. (I don't eat cheese very often at all, or very much when I do.)

If I make a tofu, chicken, or fish salad spread, I might use a small amount of low sodium soy sauce for additional flavor.

I just learned about an umami spice blend that seems to have sodium as its first ingredient, so I'm going to try to find mushroom powder to make my own blend.