Barley

Options
Anyone out there have good recipes for barley. I just bought a box and wondered how people prepare it and what people use it in.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of rice in recipes. I make it in my rice steamer. It is a little sweeter than rice.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I used to use it to make risotto. Google barley risotto, it's delicious.
  • naturalveg
    Options
    Soups and Stews! Especially beefy, vegetable, and tomato-based soups. I usually only add about 1/4 cup or so per soup batch. It'll swell up a little bit when cooked, like rice, so you don't want to add too much.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Soak 15 lbs at 180 degrees for 60 minutes in about 6 gallons of water, then sparge it to remove the remaining sugars. Boil for about one hour, adding aroma and bittering hops at 45 minutes and 5 minutes, respectively. Cool to around 78 degrees. Add yeast.

Ferment for 7-10 days, then move to secondary container and ferment until the bubbles stop. Add conditioning sugar and bottle. Enjoy in 10-14 days.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Soak 15 lbs at 180 degrees for 60 minutes in about 6 gallons of water, then sparge it to remove the remaining sugars. Boil for about one hour, adding aroma and bittering hops at 45 minutes and 5 minutes, respectively. Cool to around 78 degrees. Add yeast.

Ferment for 7-10 days, then move to secondary container and ferment until the bubbles stop. Add conditioning sugar and bottle. Enjoy in 10-14 days.

Love the recipe
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers!! YUM! I use it instead of rice. It is good in soups. I actually like it better than pasta. I cook it in veggie stock with some garlic... mmmm...
  • izzyinbliss
    izzyinbliss Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love this shrimp, bacon and spinach barley risotto recipe from Fine Cooking:
    http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/lemon-barley-risotto-shrimp-bacon-spinach.aspx
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options

180?!?

Surely that's a typo. You meant 150F, right?:drinker:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

180?!?

Surely that's a typo. You meant 150F, right?:drinker:

ah yes, that would be some bitter beer. good catch :)
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You could make a cold barley salad with lots of cut up veggies in it with a nice healthy dressing to go on it...
    i make this with brown rice all the time.. you can use any veggies you like but i use
    pepeprs, onions, zuchinni, roasted red peppers, scallions, dill, cilantro, cucumbers.. whatever you have on hand..
    its pretty yummy and super healthy..
  • AdrienneB33
    AdrienneB33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite recipe using barley....

http://www.emilybites.com/2011/01/barley-beef-skillet.html