Stronglifts to madcow

Options
I’ve been on stronglifts 5x5 for 8 months. My bench is 220 x5, deadlifts is 350 x5, and squat is 225 x5. My bench and deadlifts are starting to level off, but I’ve got room to gain on squats. I’m wondering if I could move to a madcow progression on bench and deadlifts and keep doing strong lift progressions on squats. Can I mix programs like that for different lifts?

Thanks!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I wouldn't intermix programs. It's just not necessary. If you gain on squats in one program, you will gain on others if it is dosed appropriately. Mixing two programs without consideration of it effects your load management isn't a wise decision.

I would just move onto more advanced programming leaning towards auto regulation with proper load management.

Honestly not a fan of Madcow being it is linear and is just suboptimal as written. Even worse is 531 and Texas Method.

The Bridge is a well designed program for coming off linear style of SL or SS. RTS's or my programming also has the same components as the good folks as BBM. If you go that route there is a higher success rate for nearly all people.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I wouldn't intermix programs. It's just not necessary. If you gain on squats in one program, you will gain on others if it is dosed appropriately. Mixing two programs without consideration of it effects your load management isn't a wise decision.

I would just move onto more advanced programming leaning towards auto regulation with proper load management.

Honestly not a fan of Madcow being it is linear and is just suboptimal as written. Even worse is 531 and Texas Method.

The Bridge is a well designed program for coming off linear style of SL or SS. RTS's or my programming also has the same components as the good folks as BBM. If you go that route there is a higher success rate for nearly all people.

I second the bridge. I did it after staying on stronglifts for far too long looking back now. Plus the bridge is free and well written. 3 days a week.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    So I'm back on 5x5 and doing pretty great with it, I like that it's quick and repetitive and I'm *done* without having to think too much. Also the app is nice and does my plate math, because I can't add at 6am apparently. How long is too long to stick with it? Off to Google Bridge, but if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction with good links...
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    AKTipsyCat wrote: »
    So I'm back on 5x5 and doing pretty great with it, I like that it's quick and repetitive and I'm *done* without having to think too much. Also the app is nice and does my plate math, because I can't add at 6am apparently. How long is too long to stick with it? Off to Google Bridge, but if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction with good links...

If you can keep adding weight to the bar as per the progression, then ur good. If you need to keep deloading again and again, it’s time to move on.
    OHP is typically the lift that stalls first bit not always
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that OHP is my nemesis. Even when I'm consistently gaining on my other lifts, that's the one I stall at. I'm already back up to where I was in December (the last run of successful lifting after several months) Because I work out by myself at home, and my previous lifting buddies are not available, I don't have any spotters so I'm trying to move slow and safe...